U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2019, 08:30 PM
 
1,432 posts, read 719,045 times
Reputation: 3681

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
It is not the same lol. The US womens team won a WC and a month later lost the US boys U15's team 4-0 in a behind closed doors match. I grew up and bleed football, have traveled to many countries to catch a match. The quality of the US womens team vs many part time clubs I have seen is comparable.
You are, of course, 100% correct but don't waste your time trying to argue or convince betas or dreamers....let them have their delusions (it's what keeps them going and makes them feel "empowered"....notice I said "feel").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2019, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Seattle
603 posts, read 151,213 times
Reputation: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
You are, of course, 100% correct but don't waste your time trying to argue or convince betas or dreamers....let them have their delusions (it's what keeps them going and makes them feel "empowered"....notice I said "feel").
Were the women playing to win with their starting lineup, or was it a friendly training exercise with a bunch of rookie subs? Anybody can prove anything using a sample size of one. Whatever. Personally I find the progress of Women's soccer encouraging based on the amount of interest it generates among female fans and players. A sport that causes young women to live healthier lives is a positive for society. Plus the matches are enjoyable to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Brackenwood
3,348 posts, read 1,324,216 times
Reputation: 6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Were the women playing to win with their starting lineup, or was it a friendly training exercise with a bunch of rookie subs? Anybody can prove anything using a sample size of one. Whatever. Personally I find the progress of Women's soccer encouraging based on the amount of interest it generates among female fans and players. A sport that causes young women to live healthier lives is a positive for society. Plus the matches are enjoyable to watch.
They were full-grown women deemed talented enough to be selected for the national team. Even if it was the so-called second-stringers, that's still elite territory -- we're not talking about a bunch of ladies randomly plucked off of college soccer squads at second-tier state universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Seattle
603 posts, read 151,213 times
Reputation: 679
It was a meaningless informal scrimmage, not a game.

https://www.90min.com/posts/4833646-...en-by-u15-boys

Make of it what you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 10:02 PM
 
1,432 posts, read 719,045 times
Reputation: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Were the women playing to win with their starting lineup, or was it a friendly training exercise with a bunch of rookie subs? Anybody can prove anything using a sample size of one. Whatever. Personally I find the progress of Women's soccer encouraging based on the amount of interest it generates among female fans and players. A sport that causes young women to live healthier lives is a positive for society. Plus the matches are enjoyable to watch.
You might be shocked but I agree with you on most of what you said.....most. The problem comes in when these women become deluded into thinking they should be considered equal to or be given an equal amount of money as the men's team. No...they shouldn't...they would never be able to compete with or match the men's soccer play or talent. To make a comparison, it's like minor league A level baseball players maintaining they should get the same money/fame and held in the same regard as MLB players.

Last edited by luckyram; 06-28-2019 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 06:45 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,256 posts, read 2,315,471 times
Reputation: 4430
Its minor league soccer compared to the men, if even that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Brackenwood
3,348 posts, read 1,324,216 times
Reputation: 6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It was a meaningless informal scrimmage, not a game.

https://www.90min.com/posts/4833646-...en-by-u15-boys

Make of it what you will.
"Meaningless informal scrimmage" is redundant and synonymous with "not a game," so I'm not very moved by your attempt to dismiss the results of the meaningless, informal, not-a-game scrimmage between the sides. I'm even less persuaded by the embarrassing sociopolitical screed in your link, though I'll allow that its tone was mostly in kind to similarly embarrassing screeds on the other side of the ideological ledger.

Back here on Planet Reality, I've seen and participated in enough scrimmages between squads of supposedly disproportionate talent and experience to understand their purpose: to show the upstarts how far they have to go to reach what will eventually be expected of them. Even if the more talented team eases up, they still usually win convincingly.

That didn't happen here. And while you scratch your head all day long trying to decipher why that is, those of us who inhabit the real world don't have to spend any time pondering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 01:46 PM
 
687 posts, read 674,755 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
You might be shocked but I agree with you on most of what you said.....most. The problem comes in when these women become deluded into thinking they should be considered equal to or be given an equal amount of money as the men's team. No...they shouldn't...they would never be able to compete with or match the men's soccer play or talent. To make a comparison, it's like minor league A level baseball players maintaining they should get the same money/fame and held in the same regard as MLB players.
Everyone should be paid based upon the economies of the game. Earning should be based on ticket revenue, TV ratings and merchandise revenue. The notiion that you think men play better is f'ing insane and should have nothing to with revenue. Salaries based on revenue, as it is in every sport.

Now, since the women sell more tickets, for more revenue, get better ratings, and sell more individual merchandise, I think the women should be paid FAR FAR more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Seattle
603 posts, read 151,213 times
Reputation: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
You might be shocked but I agree with you on most of what you said.....most. The problem comes in when these women become deluded into thinking they should be considered equal to or be given an equal amount of money as the men's team. No...they shouldn't...they would never be able to compete with or match the men's soccer play or talent. To make a comparison, it's like minor league A level baseball players maintaining they should get the same money/fame and held in the same regard as MLB players.
To me, the talent level is not the primary consideration. It's an entertainment venue and the payment should be weighted to match the TV and gate revenue, just as it is for the men. Otherwise, where else is the money going to come from? If the women generate more prime TV income, they should get more than the men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Seattle
603 posts, read 151,213 times
Reputation: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
"Meaningless informal scrimmage" is redundant and synonymous with "not a game," so I'm not very moved by your attempt to dismiss the results of the meaningless, informal, not-a-game scrimmage between the sides. I'm even less persuaded by the embarrassing sociopolitical screed in your link, though I'll allow that its tone was mostly in kind to similarly embarrassing screeds on the other side of the ideological ledger.

Back here on Planet Reality, I've seen and participated in enough scrimmages between squads of supposedly disproportionate talent and experience to understand their purpose: to show the upstarts how far they have to go to reach what will eventually be expected of them. Even if the more talented team eases up, they still usually win convincingly.

That didn't happen here. And while you scratch your head all day long trying to decipher why that is, those of us who inhabit the real world don't have to spend any time pondering it.
Meh, whatever. My main point is that it wasn't a proper game, and most likely the boys were much more motivated to "win" this scrimmage than the women. If it was a proper contest with the women as prepared and motivated as the boys, then the result could well be different. Does it matter? It's entertainment. Yes though, in general top male soccer players will be stronger and faster, while top women players will have longer careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top