U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 08:56 AM

3,957 posts, read 1,035,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Tell me more...

"There was a long-standing gap between revenue generated by the men and women, but that has disappeared in recent years. The womenís team contributed close or more than half of the federationís revenue from games since fiscal 2016. Overall, from fiscal 2016 to 2018, the womenís games generated about $900,000 more revenue than the menís games. In the year following the 2015 World Cup win, womenís games generated $1.9 million more than the menís games. And in recent years, the menís revenue tally also includes the fees that opposing teams pay in order to play the United States."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a650e5f666e7

That's a distortion of the reality. Look at a couple of the posts on page one of this thread for more factual breakdown. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 09:19 AM

35,306 posts, read 19,335,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
That's a distortion of the reality.
In your opinion.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ay/1676477001/
Quote:
Look at a couple of the posts on page one of this thread for more factual breakdown. Thank you.
"Facts" are manipulated by the presenter in many cases. And an individual's confirmation bias leads to cherry picking those favorable to his opinion.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 AM

3,418 posts, read 1,344,234 times
Quote:
Contact the soccer pooh bahs and demand action.

Keep us updated.

Maybe you could toot your little clown horn at 'em and that'll get 'em to see the light.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:52 AM

52,058 posts, read 41,872,746 times
The entire public row was fueled by claims from the Womens soccer attorneys press release.
The purpose was to convince people there was a gross unfairness afoot and to thus put pressure on US Soccer.

Most media outlets just printed what they were told and didn't question in or offer rebuttal.

Like any good attorney, they highlighted favorable areas of comparison like US attendance revenue and also the best timeframes excluding things like years when the mens teams were better. Thus they left out any reference to the bulk of US Soccers revenues which are related to TV and endorsements.

You can find their audited financial statements here, go back about 10 pages to find the revenue information.
https://www.ussoccer.com/governance/...al-information

The dispute is going to mediation so demanding people contact the soccer organization is silly and underlines that people have been convinced to have strong opinions about this issue without really having a clue. What part of mediation confuses you?

Mediation, due to the huge imbalance in other revenues like global TV viewing, is a straightforward accounting practice and will likely result in higher pay for the women due to more recent success and growing popularity but will not be "equal" by a long-shot.

The best lesson to learn here is that if you fully embrace reality as depicted by the press release of just one side of the litigation then you're extremely easy to fool. In short, a PR campaign by a shifty attorney spinning a misleading story managed to fool a lot of people. I guess that should not be surprising in our "idiocracy" (movie reference)

Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 AM

3,418 posts, read 1,344,234 times
^^ I have to imagine the legal has been pulling its collective hair out watching that Rapinoe broad undo a big chunk of their PR offensive by running around and conspicuously alienating tens of millions of her countrymen.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:11 AM

52,058 posts, read 41,872,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
^^ I have to imagine the legal has been pulling its collective hair out watching that Rapinoe broad undo a big chunk of their PR offensive by running around and conspicuously alienating tens of millions of her countrymen.
It's going to mediation so it's going to essentially be a forensic accounting exercise and unaffected by public opinion.

If they gave me the detailed numbers I could hash it out in a week. It's a pretty straightforward exercise.

The only BIG variables are:

1. how long the time period should be between reviews\updates so that it's either more stable, or more responsive.

2. How do you want the pay structured meaning would they like a steadier pay level or one that is more heavily "bonus incented" so that the good\bad years are smoothed out (or not.)

Old 07-12-2019, 07:16 AM

6,431 posts, read 4,190,957 times
How much more would they be bringing in, in the future, if their star player were not disrespectful of the flag and the government?

Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 AM

6,431 posts, read 4,190,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
It's very disengenuous of them to think this is deliberately against them because they are women. It is more of the "war on women" rhetoric.

Here are some facts:

Women have higher life expectancy
Women have more health coverage
Women have less addiction issues
Women don't commit suicide as often as men

...and I could probably list dozens of other ways that it's not really a "war on women" like these soccer players have made it up in their minds that it is.
How many of the men committing suicide did it because of a woman?
I really don’t see how these facts you list are relevant, so sorry if my above retort is also irrelevant to the topic.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:34 AM

3,957 posts, read 1,035,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How many of the men committing suicide did it because of a woman?
I really donít see how these facts you list are relevant, so sorry if my above retort is also irrelevant to the topic.
There is no "war on women". I could list dozens of other ways how men have it harder or how society is much rougher/penal on men.

These soccer players want us to believe they are oppressed, but the reality of the situation is they are not oppressed at all. Real talk.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:20 AM

729 posts, read 171,811 times
Quote:
"Facts" are manipulated by the presenter in many cases. And an individual's confirmation bias leads to cherry picking those favorable to his opinion.
In that case you should be able to easily demonstrate such by backing up your accusation with the missing facts. Please, let us know what we missed so we will be better informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or