U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 02:08 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 12 days ago)

12,394 posts, read 6,476,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Watching the women's Wimbledon final today I remembered another advantage women have over men in tennis is the ladies only play 3 sets.

I think if they want equal pay (and I can't recall if they got that on the WTA or not) they should do like the men and the tournaments that men play 5 setters, the women also play 5 sets.

Why should the women get to only play a much easier 3 set versus 5 set matches? Afterall, they are equal. Or are they?
This isn't a tennis thread, but I agree. Female tennis players complained for and won "equal" pay for their matches. But there isn't anything equal at all with their pay as they aren't required to work as hard as male tennis players in terms of number of sets played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 09:05 AM

15,249 posts, read 8,669,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This isn't a tennis thread, but I agree. Female tennis players complained for and won "equal" pay for their matches. But there isn't anything equal at all with their pay as they aren't required to work as hard as male tennis players in terms of number of sets played.
Again...it's not the "work" required...it's the money that is brought in. Are we going to pay tennis, basketball, football players and all the rest based on how many minutes they play each game? Boxers? Knockout in the first round - sorry, only 10% of full rate.

Too bad they moved this from Great Debates or we'd get into all the arguments based on the near lawlessness of capitalism and how business, including profession sports, only exist to make money.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 AM

4,220 posts, read 1,094,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Again...it's not the "work" required...it's the money that is brought in. Are we going to pay tennis, basketball, football players and all the rest based on how many minutes they play each game? Boxers? Knockout in the first round - sorry, only 10% of full rate.
The point is...the women b------- should be fighting for equal everything - including 5 set matches.

They scream they are equal in every way, but then why aren't they screaming for the harder 5 set route?

Because they aren't stupid - they know they aren't equal.

Sorry.

Similarly, high school boys would absolutely DESTROY LPGA players (in every way - but most notably would be in driving length).

Enough with the cultural marxist nonsense/lies - just be honest that they aren't equally physically strong...they would probably have more people respect them than they do now, as they blatantly mislead.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Too bad they moved this from Great Debates or we'd get into all the arguments based on the near lawlessness of capitalism and how business, including profession sports, only exist to make money.
As is the case with this soccer debate, women's tennis matches are not bringing in more money than men's tennis matches; I already debunked this myth for women's soccer multiple times here. https://thefederalist.com/2017/06/29...rs-biased-men/

Still, I bring up the other point as we also hear "equal pay for equal work." Of course, women's tennis players--apart from not attracting the same revenues as men's tennis players--are NOT putting in the same work as men's tennis players. Why should they be paid equally? Seems to me that arguments for "equal pay" here are the ones that are sexist arguments as they call for equal pay on the basis of sex alone, despite the fact that women tennis players don't do the same amount of work and don't bring in the same amount of revenues.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:01 PM

6,935 posts, read 3,796,263 times
Looking at revenue for the national teams isn't the right measure. The various national teams aren't a profit making enterprise. They are representing their nation in international competition and should be paid based on performance. By any objective measure the US WNT far out performs the US MNT on the international stage and therefore should be paid far more. The US WNT has 4 World Cup championships while the USMNT not only has none, but often has failed to even qualify for the World Cup.

So on performance along they should be paid far more.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Looking at revenue for the national teams isn't the right measure. The various national teams aren't a profit making enterprise. They are representing their nation in international competition and should be paid based on performance. By any objective measure the US WNT far out performs the US MNT on the international stage and therefore should be paid far more. The US WNT has 4 World Cup championships while the USMNT not only has none, but often has failed to even qualify for the World Cup.

So on performance along they should be paid far more.
Not to sound flippant, but money doesn't grow on trees. You get what the market dictates. I may be the best soccer player since sliced bread, but if I play in a league that only grosses $100,000 a year, I shouldn't expect to be paid more than that (no where close to it) or more than someone else in a league that grosses $50,000,000 a year.

As I've mentioned before, the USMNT gets paid more because of revenue sharing agreements with the FIFA Men's World Cup, where they still get a share of the $400 in prize money even though they didn't qualify for the World Cup; they still played in qualifying rounds, etc. The women's team has a similar agreement with the FIFA Women's World Cup revenues, where they'd be getting a share of a dough even if they failed to qualify. If there is anybody with a legitimate argument against the USMNT getting paid what it does, its other country's men's national teams, NOT a women's national team that doesn't contribute to the revenue pot at all.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:24 PM

12,101 posts, read 4,127,302 times
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiked

As an article in Forbes points out, the 2015 Women’s World Cup brought in almost $73million, of which the players got 13 per cent.

The 2010 men’s World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which only nine per cent went to the players. Last year, the men’s World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion total in revenue but the participating teams shared only $400 million of that – less than seven per cent of the overall revenue.

Meanwhile, the 2019 Women’s World Cup made somewhere in the region of $131million, doling out $30million – well over 20 per cent of collected revenue – to the participating teams.

One final point. Men’s sports, especially men’s team sports, are, for most people, more entertaining to watch than their women’s equivalent.

Whether it is men’s football or basketball, when compared with the female equivalent, the skill levels on show are incomparable.

When you sit down and watch the intricate movement and passing of teams like Liverpool or Manchester City, you quickly realise that nothing like this exists within the world of women’s football.

On the other hand, sports that highlight the strengths of female athletes, like gymnastics, ice-skating and tennis, are popular.

There’s no ‘pay gap’ in professional football - Spiked

Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM

1,161 posts, read 246,613 times
Okay, so the winners of the WWC took home $4 million out of a total $30 million payout: 13.3%

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/07/the-...0-million.html

In 2014 the US took home $9 million out of a total $576 million payout: 1.6%

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2014/07...id-the-us-get/

The Women's team took home a much higher proportion of the total prize money.

If we apply the equal pay premise, then the total world cup rewards would need to match since it can't just be about the U.S. The payout is just a modest fraction of the total money earned from the men's world cup, so in theory it's do-able. It wouldn't make any sense financially, but it's do-able. Will FIFA go along with any such scheme? Not likely.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM

6,498 posts, read 4,236,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Might I just note that the star player was serving her country at the time, and was at least partly responsible for bringing in much of the viewing audience.
Note, I said future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How much more would they be bringing in, in the future, if their star player were not disrespectful of the flag and the government?

Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 AM

1,161 posts, read 246,613 times
Quote:
Note, I said future

Quote:
How much more would they be bringing in, in the future, if their star player were not disrespectful of the flag and the government?

About the same amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or