U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 04:02 PM

1,090 posts, read 235,327 times

Advertisements

I watched another episode of the MLS All-Star game, this time featuring Atlético Madrid. While it's fun to see your favorite MLS players in these games, the format has lost its appeal. Most of the MLS players have never played together, and they are given a single practice session to try and work things out. In many cases these are former stars from a top league, and while they still do well in the MLS, they are no match for young well-payed talent in a top European club. It's a wonder that we even stay in these games; a big part of the reason is probably because it's the club's pre-season and they are not in top shape yet.

Anyway, the last contest was a predictable 0-3 pasting, mainly by the Atlético second-stringers. The MLS wasn't really in the game at any point, and this is the fourth straight year they've failed to win it. To make this contest more competitive, I think the MLS is going to need to schedule it against good second-tier teams, like Wolverhampton or Leicester City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 AM

18,686 posts, read 27,201,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I watched another episode of the MLS All-Star game, this time featuring Atlético Madrid. While it's fun to see your favorite MLS players in these games, the format has lost its appeal. Most of the MLS players have never played together, and they are given a single practice session to try and work things out. In many cases these are former stars from a top league, and while they still do well in the MLS, they are no match for young well-payed talent in a top European club. It's a wonder that we even stay in these games; a big part of the reason is probably because it's the club's pre-season and they are not in top shape yet.

Anyway, the last contest was a predictable 0-3 pasting, mainly by the Atlético second-stringers. The MLS wasn't really in the game at any point, and this is the fourth straight year they've failed to win it. To make this contest more competitive, I think the MLS is going to need to schedule it against good second-tier teams, like Wolverhampton or Leicester City.
The teams that do come here usually are doing a US tour. I don't know if the Wolves or Leicester had the funds to do that as of yet. I could be wrong. But yes, the MLS all stars which you actually renamed Old European stars vs Atletico Madrid was a one sided game. I wasn't surprised by it either. If it was up to me though, I'd get rid of the MLS all star game and weekend all together. But I guess we must keep it American.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:56 PM

6,581 posts, read 4,537,350 times
The MLS All Stars usually play these European games against European games that are playing games in the states (or in North America). Atletico Madrid had a game before in the US and than played a few days later in Mexico. Usually, only the big, top tier clubs in Europe take these trips, and even against second stringers on a team that is going to take a step back in La Liga this year it's not competitive. I think Cardiff was in the US a few weeks ago for a tour (I know they played a New Mexico USL team) they should've had the MLS All Stars play them instead it probably would've been a more competitive game.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:41 AM

2,378 posts, read 553,808 times
All-star games (in any sport) in the US can be brutal (in terms of sheer boredom and insignificance); but in MLS, it’s especially painful as it additionally serves to shine a light on the inferiority of MLS as a whole rather than as an intended showcase for MLS ‘stars’.

Old Today, 08:11 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,781,816 times
The skills challenge was fun. The game, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer