U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:19 AM

19 posts, read 42,537 times

Advertisements

Exclusive video (http://www.younghollywood.com/lifestyle.php?videoID=1307965861 - broken link) of David Beckham playing with celebrities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:41 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,961,964 times
Didn't David Beckham play soccer at one time? Whatever happend to that guy?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 PM

7,233 posts, read 8,241,700 times
Last I checked he got paid to "Bench it like Beckham". Honestly, he seems like a nice guy, but I dont find him to be a great soccer player, at least not in the MLS.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 06-26-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 03:08 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,820,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Last I checked he got paid to "Bench it like Beckham". Honestly, he seems like a nice guy, but I dont find him to be a great soccer player, at least not in the MLS.
I think hes passed his prime, he was a great player for Manu, I still remember watching him back in the days. Who knows though he could pull things around.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:37 AM

468 posts, read 1,516,617 times
If you don't watch soccer, it's tough to really understand what Beckham does.

He doesn't score...he runs the midfield basically. Let me rephrase that actually...he scores on Free Kicks, but that's about it. He works off the ball to set up his forwards, in this case, Edson Buddle and (eek) Landon Donovan. He's worked wonders with both of them this year, as they're at the top of the league in scoring, and they play for the same team. That's something you rarely ever see, and it can be attributed to his midfield, led by Mr. Beckham.

I know there's a lot of hate for Beckham in the USA because he makes so much money, but I still think he's one of the best in the World, and he's worth every penny. Yes, he did come here to chase the money, and yes, to chase the popularity, but he was 32 at the time, and still in his prime when he could've played for almost any team in Europe. He's tried to do the game well in America, and I'm actually surprised he's limited his public appearances. I wish people would give him a bit more credit because he threw away a career in Europe to come here, but everyone has their own opinions. In order for the MLS to survive, we need a healthy mix of Bradenton graduates and International players (I was gonna say stars, but that's not gonna happen). We can't afford to bring in many other players who are over the hill in the Americas and in Europe because they do absolutely nothing for the team.

I'm hoping by the time Ronaldo recovers from his ACL injury, he'll consider America. He'll be around 33...a bit over the hill, but he'll add some scoring power to the league that it's lacking.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:19 PM

Yeah alot of people expect him to be a scoring machine but thats not infact what he does. He's a supplier. I give him all the respect in the world going from a soccer hotbed to somewhere where it is not as popular, big ups to that.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:55 PM

7,233 posts, read 8,241,700 times
Thanks mattyj and nl234 for clearing that up. In case you cant tell, im not the biggest Soccer fan in the world, though i do watch when i get the chance. I did for a time catch the Beckham fever last summer but was dissapointed when I found out he would be missing so many games due to injury. Then I watched him play and didnt see all the hype. I do give him credit though for coming here to try and make an impact, and for staying out of trouble and the lime-light. Seems like his wife gets more attention.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks mattyj and nl234 for clearing that up. In case you cant tell, im not the biggest Soccer fan in the world, though i do watch when i get the chance. I did for a time catch the Beckham fever last summer but was dissapointed when I found out he would be missing so many games due to injury. Then I watched him play and didnt see all the hype. I do give him credit though for coming here to try and make an impact, and for staying out of trouble and the lime-light. Seems like his wife gets more attention.
Fair enough that your're not the biggest soccer fan, at least your making an effort to watch it. It was dissapointing when he was out with injury so much, it kind of made all the hype somewhat go down, if he was fully fit and played the MLS season without injury I think a few more people would be interested.

Haha yeah agree with you aswell on his wife, I myself cannot stand her.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 PM

716 posts, read 1,526,057 times
Beckham has had an absolutely phenomenal career. He is definitely much more than just a "pretty face"...check out some of his highlights on youtube.

The way I've always thought about Beckham is this: Imagine if a baseball league started in the UK and they signed Roger Clemens to pitch there. If English fans expected him to hit homeruns, they'd be disappointed b/c that's obviously not his game. He is great at what he does...pitching. Beckham isn't a goal scorer, but many Americans don't understand the game and think a player is worthless if he doesn't score goals...which is simply not the case.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:02 PM

468 posts, read 1,516,617 times
Quote:
Yeah, as mattyj said, you're making an effort, and I'll admit - it's tough to see the value of any player off the ball. Midfielders aren't visible, but holding midfielders (defensive midfielders) get even less credit. When I started watching back in the day, I rarely saw them on the pitch at all, but they are so essential to their side they should get the most credit. Once you keep watching, you'll start picking up on it. To get hooked quicker, watch the Champions League or any of the major leagues in Europe. Trust me

The Beckham injury flat out sucked. I felt a lot of immature young Americans were trying to get the best of him and the refs didn't give him enough protection. It was tragic, almost inevitable and I hope it doesn't happen again...

PS - He doesn't get in trouble... He's a genuinely nice guy, he gives a ton of interviews, and just seems to be really great with everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or