U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2008, 06:45 PM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,290 posts, read 7,886,473 times
Reputation: 3019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Everything requires a bit of luck. Luck is nothing without drive and application. Someone still had to put in the cross/pass, someone still had to score. Coming from 0-2 down to win 3-2 requires a bit more than just luck.
Sorry, tend to disagree a bit on this one.
The 2nd goal where the goalkeeper mishandled and easy ball in front of the Turkey player was just luck for Turkey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
1,872 posts, read 5,791,849 times
Reputation: 5565
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
The 2nd goal where the goalkeeper mishandled and easy ball in front of the Turkey player was just luck for Turkey
Not to belabor the point, but...

Why was it luck? Cech made an error, and Nihat was there to capitalize on it. Call it what it is: a goalkeeping error. Almost every goal scored in football has an element of defensive error or lapse. Should we be calling them all lucky? Lucky would have been if the ball had bounced off Cech and into the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
1,872 posts, read 5,791,849 times
Reputation: 5565
So any bets for tomorrow? Romania, Italy, or France?

Interestingly, even if Romania advances tomorrow and Italy and France are stalemated, they will have to go through a penalty shoot-out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC Sports
World champions Italy and France face each other in the final Group C match with both almost certainly needing a win if they are to make the last eight.

But if Romania beat Holland, ending the pair's progress hopes, a draw would not separate the teams in the standings.

Therefore, a shoot-out would be played even though both sides would be out.

It would be the first time in tournament history two teams who have been eliminated from a competition would have to play out a penalty shoot-out for the purposes of determining future co-efficient points.

The co-efficient can affect a team's seeding for future international tournaments.
All the permutations here: BBC SPORT | Football | Euro 2008 | Italy | Italy & France may face shoot-out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 07:57 PM
 
43 posts, read 201,874 times
Reputation: 24
Default Euro 2008

Just wanted to say that I am absolutely THRILLED about the EURO 2008 and the coverage by ESPN - what a huge improvement - I remember the last Euros - I couldn't find them on any station (and that was in NY) - and only a few games were on pay-per-view without ANY of the pregame and postgame talk or coverage - it was awful. What a difference this year. So thank you ESPN!!!!! ... and yes, to me it's the most important sporting event in the world - right after the World Cup, of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 10:31 PM
 
468 posts, read 1,516,935 times
Reputation: 191
I'm gonna say this -

Germany have been thoroughly unimpressive. Reverting back to the back 4 of Lahm/Mertesacker/Metzelder/Friedrich definitely worked today, but I think Lehmann will eventually destroy the Germans. He'll have a walkabout or do something ridiculous and it will cost the Germans badly. Of course, with Enke as your back up, you could do worse, but Lehmann's eccentricity will get the better of him. If I were Low, I'd play...

4-4-2

Lehmann
Friedrich - Mertesacker - Metzelder - Lahm
Fritz - Borowski - Ballack - Schweinsteiger
Podolski - Klose

Klose is the hitman, and he's been getting jack for support fromm Mario Gomez and Ballack. I mean, Gomez is probably a pretty sweet player, but he's totally overrated player in my opinion. From his performances today, I can't see how the f- the likes of Barcelona, Bayern and Inter are interested in him. Podolski works so well on the left right now, but Klose needs the support and with the Portugese playing the way they are, you can't really dick around and expect to win. Schweinsteiger will be back, and he'll be key for the attack, so he needs to play. He lost his cool against Leko, admitted it, let's move on. Finally, Frings has been having a pretty bad tournament - gotta go with Tim Borowski instead as the holding midfielder.

Seeing Neuville also come on made me cringe. His shot on the 3v2 was absolutely ridiculous. Makes me think he's got the vision of a 70 year old driver.

As for predictions tomorrow, gotta go with France. Barzagli has been a disaster replacing Cannavaro so much so they're using Panucci in the middle with Materazzi. Sorry, that won't work against Henry and Ribery. Grosso worked well last match, but with him going forward so often on the left, Ribery will run amock on the Italians on the right, and he should get many opportunities to produce. With Vieira possibly back also as the rock of the midfield, I see good things for France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
1,113 posts, read 1,631,040 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
I'm gonna say this -

Lehmann
Friedrich - Mertesacker - Metzelder - Lahm
Fritz - Borowski - Ballack - Schweinsteiger
Podolski - Klose
Gotta agree with you there. Gomez and Jensen are just terrible. And yeah Neuville should've passed at the end of yesterday's game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Huntersville
1,521 posts, read 4,485,488 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee11 View Post
Just wanted to say that I am absolutely THRILLED about the EURO 2008 and the coverage by ESPN - what a huge improvement - I remember the last Euros - I couldn't find them on any station (and that was in NY) - and only a few games were on pay-per-view without ANY of the pregame and postgame talk or coverage - it was awful. What a difference this year. So thank you ESPN!!!!! ... and yes, to me it's the most important sporting event in the world - right after the World Cup, of course!

I think Andy Gray helps alot~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,849,532 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
I'm gonna say this -

Germany have been thoroughly unimpressive. Reverting back to the back 4 of Lahm/Mertesacker/Metzelder/Friedrich definitely worked today, but I think Lehmann will eventually destroy the Germans. He'll have a walkabout or do something ridiculous and it will cost the Germans badly. Of course, with Enke as your back up, you could do worse, but Lehmann's eccentricity will get the better of him. If I were Low, I'd play...

4-4-2

Lehmann
Friedrich - Mertesacker - Metzelder - Lahm
Fritz - Borowski - Ballack - Schweinsteiger
Podolski - Klose

Klose is the hitman, and he's been getting jack for support fromm Mario Gomez and Ballack. I mean, Gomez is probably a pretty sweet player, but he's totally overrated player in my opinion. From his performances today, I can't see how the f- the likes of Barcelona, Bayern and Inter are interested in him. Podolski works so well on the left right now, but Klose needs the support and with the Portugese playing the way they are, you can't really dick around and expect to win. Schweinsteiger will be back, and he'll be key for the attack, so he needs to play. He lost his cool against Leko, admitted it, let's move on. Finally, Frings has been having a pretty bad tournament - gotta go with Tim Borowski instead as the holding midfielder.

Seeing Neuville also come on made me cringe. His shot on the 3v2 was absolutely ridiculous. Makes me think he's got the vision of a 70 year old driver.

As for predictions tomorrow, gotta go with France. Barzagli has been a disaster replacing Cannavaro so much so they're using Panucci in the middle with Materazzi. Sorry, that won't work against Henry and Ribery. Grosso worked well last match, but with him going forward so often on the left, Ribery will run amock on the Italians on the right, and he should get many opportunities to produce. With Vieira possibly back also as the rock of the midfield, I see good things for France.
Couldn't agree more! Gomez is absolutely horrible in the tournament, he plays with no confidence what so ever, how did he miss that gift of a goal yesterday!! That was pethetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Huntersville
1,521 posts, read 4,485,488 times
Reputation: 298
Well the French look defeated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
1,113 posts, read 1,631,040 times
Reputation: 140
An hour and a half before kickoff... I call Sweden advancing 1-0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top