Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:23 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times

Advertisements

Word is that the mediocre performance by Greece was due to infighting just before the game.
The call the greek team the pirate ship. The wiil patiently wait and circle for the right time to strike and raid. They also play a very defensive type of game.
Hopefully these euro 04 champions will advance to at least the next round
Last time they were the underdog of underdogs with 150:1 odds to win it!

catch the latest here: euro2008.uefa.com - Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 07:50 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
or maybe it has something to do with Boruc actually being a decent keeper...
Did you watch the game? He was burned twice and Austria missed open nets.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
Finally got caught with the games.

France looked toothless, kind of like I expected. I don't know much about Benzema, but their forward line doesn't inspire much confidence. Never been a fan of Anelka, and Henry's been a shadow of his former self.

Holland played well. I thought they would get steamrolled by Italy in the first part of the game, but they came back strong. We'll have to see if this was a one-hit wonder, or if they can keep it up.

I'm not ready to write Italy off just yet though. Their first game against the US in World Cup 2006 was also pretty bad. But they always seem to find a way to survive late into tournaments.

Spain looked really awesome going forward. And they looked just as awful at the back. They will probably suffer against a team with better finishing. I've always liked watching Villa, and he did not disappoint. Hopefully Torres will click.

Portugal is looking better than before, mainly due to Ronaldo's evolution. But they really need to get rid of Nuno Gomes up front. Put Ronaldo in the middle, and bring on Quaresma or Nani.

Germany just doesn't do it for me. But Croatia finally played like they are truly capable of (I was surprised they struggled as much in their first game).

Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Did you watch the game? He was burned twice and Austria missed open nets.
Yes, I watched the match. I saw Boruc keep Poland in the match with some outstanding saves. When was he burned? I saw him come out of the goal and challenge the attacker, which might have had something to do with him pushing his shot wide to the right...

Boruc is a good keeper, which is why AC Milan is rumoured to be planning to offer Celtic $20 million for his services...the lad played out of his head today, and is the only reason the Poles were even still in the match...

Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM

742 posts, read 2,067,893 times
Apparently, France isn't much of a formidable force without Zizou. 3-1 to Holland, 71 minutes passed.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:40 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
If the Dutch keep banging in the goals the way they have in the first two games, their awful defense won't matter. What's scary is that they've gotten goals from so many different players, and they've been all kinds -- set piece, long range, intricate passing. Will be interesting to see how they cope against a team that sits back and doesn't give them the space.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:21 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
The Dutch aint no one hit wonder, thats for sure.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:01 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
The Greeks played very good against Russia and the game could have gone the other way very easily. Their recalled goal when shown is slow motion was NOT offsides!
Almost the same could be said with the game with Sweden
Anyway, the team is rated in the top 10 in the world. Their advancement to the Euro was quiet easy........
I think it was more bad luck and circumstancial than anything, things that can happen and do happen to all teams. World champion Italy for example is experiencing the same thing.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 PM

742 posts, read 2,067,893 times
Default Turkey vs. Czech Republic

I nominate this for "Match of the Tournament". Simply amazing. From 0-2 to 3-2 in 15 minutes. Great goals too (by Turkey). Sometimes deficit situations like this provoke teams to step up and bring their A-game to the fore. Very exciting, particularly the last 30 minutes.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:52 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
I nominate this for "Match of the Tournament". Simply amazing. From 0-2 to 3-2 in 15 minutes. Great goals too (by Turkey). Sometimes deficit situations like this provoke teams to step up and bring their A-game to the fore. Very exciting, particularly the last 30 minutes.
I couldn't agree more!! Best game so far no question... Turkey showed a lot of heart to come back and win that game, what a performance, I couldn't even sit the last 10 minutes.

However, that was a bone headed move by the goal keeper to get a red card, they'll miss him against Croatia, very bad move by the goal keeper, what was he thinking???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer