Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:27 PM

214 posts, read 704,316 times

Advertisements

Will Americans ever fully embrace soccer? Why or Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 02:39 AM

352 posts, read 1,000,075 times
People in the United States and Canada are raised on American and Canadian gridiron football, while the rest of the world is interested in football, or what is called soccer in Canada and the USA.

That said, I think there will be a demand for soccer in North America in the future. Maybe not as popular as gridiron, basketball, or baseball; but it may become as popular as hockey, golf, or college sports in the foreseeable future.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:20 AM

325 posts, read 786,217 times
How do you define catching on? Judging by viewing numbers of the World Cup, it definitely has caught on, with numbers surpassing all championship events other than American football. Then again, our own national league (MLS) does not exactly receive high TV ratings. However, that does not mean the sport is not of interest to people here - just that their interest is fractured. Many follow the Premier League in England, others follow the Mexican leagues, and others still support clubs and leagues in countries throughout the world.

Even in MLS' current state, you could say that it is within striking distance of the NHL and putting its sights on MLB/NBA in its long-term plans.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:17 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,427,063 times
Because 95 percent of the time the American media tells you not to like soccer. Notice when the media tells the public it is ok to like soccer (the world cup last summer) people go crazy for it. We live in a country full of bandwagon sports fans. I cannot tell you how many of my supposed soccer hating friends would call me on the phone last summer (3 or 4 times a day) asking me questions about the sport and loving every second of the competition.

Bottom line is the American sports media is controlled by old, grumpy, baby-boomer aged sports writers who rip on soccer every chance they get and praise football, baseball, basketball, and NASCAR. Soccer fans in this country are very young (avg. age of world cup viewers was mid 30's, compared to 50-something for the Super Bowl/ world series). So, I expect as this generation gets older and the boomers die out that soccer will be a mainstream sport in this country.

Oh, and by the way...MLS has already surpassed NHL and NBA is average attendance. But you never hear about these sorts of things because every other idiot sports fan in this country assumes nobody watches soccer.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,311,867 times
People always gauge the success of soccer by a hypothetical pivot point at which millions of people suddenly change their mind about the sport. I'll never understand that. It has grown steadily by leaps and bounds for many decades. Is it that hard to see?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,505,796 times
It is catching on, bit by bit, year by year. It is just gradual.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,968,519 times
It has caught on. It has the highest participation among youth, the MLS is growing season-by-season and is the best ran sports league in the US, we have players playing all over the world and even at the top levels, and our national team is among the Top 20 teams in the world.

What more do you want?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,817,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It has caught on. It has the highest participation among youth, the MLS is growing season-by-season and is the best ran sports league in the US, we have players playing all over the world and even at the top levels, and our national team is among the Top 20 teams in the world.

What more do you want?
your right for a 'lesser' or a young soccer nation i think your on your way to good things, it may take a while but britain has had a century and a half to get to where it is now

Old 12-08-2010, 01:36 AM

8 posts, read 34,360 times
Soccer has to overcome a lack of tradition in the US, compared to other professional sports. And of course, MLS is improving but it's still not a top notch league.

Still, the game seems to be developing a niche among Americans. Plus, immigrants love it. To me, it's the most exciting sport to play or to watch.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,458,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It has the highest participation among youth
I remember hearing this when I was a kid too. Is this not because of the limited/cheap equipment required to play soccer, the ability to have kids play at a super young age, and the crossover appeal to both boys and girls?

I don't have a strong stance on whether or not soccer is on the way up in the USA, but I don't know if youth participation is a fair metric by which to illustrate this. Just imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer