U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 AM

30 posts, read 45,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
i cannot grasp how you think watching baseball or even football is more exciting then watching soccer. soccer has way more action, heart, and skill involved

i dont get baseball. a guy hits a ball with a stick and runs the same route everytime. whoopy

football is way better, i even watch it sometime. but the time between plays usually makes me change the channel
soccer has exactly zero action other than maybe 2 seconds when a goal is scored and on average 0.1 goal are scored per game, you need to watch 10 games to see one goal and no one in America wants to watch that, we want to see success, big points, big hits, big men, big tough men with big balls, big stats...etc

Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,336,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
big tough men with big balls
soccer is a very physical game. theres tons of tackling and pushing and diving. oh, and they only wear shin guards. football youre completely padded up. not sure how that qualifies as being tough

Quote:
soccer has exactly zero action other than maybe 2 seconds when a goal is scored and on average 0.1 goal are scored per game
if you consider getting goals as the only action in soccer im guessing youve never actually watched soccer

Quote:
America wants to watch big hits, big men, big tough men with big balls, big stats...etc
closet-homo much?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 AM

414 posts, read 639,405 times
Quote:
soccer has exactly zero action other than maybe 2 seconds when a goal is scored and on average 0.1 goal are scored per game, you need to watch 10 games to see one goal and no one in America wants to watch that, we want to see success, big points, big hits, big men, big tough men with big balls, big stats...etc
This post is a dramatic indictment of American sports culture, although I'm optimistic that only the author holds this inane view.

If you think that only goals are exciting you're being at best superficial and arguably pathetic because you only have "fun" when the numbers at the top of the screen tell you it's time to have fun.

That's really sad.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,336,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
This post is a dramatic indictment of American sports culture, although I'm optimistic that only the author holds this inane view.

If you think that only goals are exciting you're being at best superficial and arguably pathetic because you only have "fun" when the numbers at the top of the screen tell you it's time to have fun.

That's really sad.
well said

Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post

I love the statement you made there.

I remember having a conversation with someone during this last football season about the Chiefs vs. the Wizards. He was talking about how low scoring soccer was. Ironically, the Wizards game was higher scoring than the Chiefs game that week.

When you take away the multipoint scoring system and football, the sport doesnt have much more scoring than soccer does.

For example, the Ravens v. Titans game this last week was basically 3-2. Thats a score thats not too uncommon in soccer.

It's just that dumb people are easily fooled by a system that gives multiple points for scoring. That doesnt mean there is more scoring, just more points awarded for it.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Soccer sucks, 95% of the game end in ties and the remaining end in 1-0 scores. Field as big as Rhode Island, nets as big as my house, final score: 0-0. Soccer sucks, scoring is cool and exciting.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Quote:
Soccer sucks, 95% of the game end in ties and the remaining end in 1-0 scores. Field as big as Rhode Island, nets as big as my house, final score: 0-0. Soccer sucks, scoring is cool and exciting.
Well, about 95% of football games consist of commercial breaks and players standing around killing the clock so we should be about even.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Well, about 95% of football games consist of commercial breaks and players standing around killing the clock so we should be about even.
What? Football is non-stop action, big hits, big 300lb men getting crammed, and big skills. Just go to youtube and search "football skills" and see Jerry Rice catching a hail mary from a 50 yd pass.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 PM

7,225 posts, read 8,236,619 times
Quote:
What? Football is non-stop action, big hits, big 300lb men getting crammed, and big skills. Just go to youtube and search "football skills" and see Jerry Rice catching a hail mary from a 50 yd pass.
American football is so boring, the game is 95% inaction - Boxing Forum

Is this you? this is a thread in another forum by someone sharing your name created. It states that american football is full of in-action

Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,671,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I love the statement you made there.

I remember having a conversation with someone during this last football season about the Chiefs vs. the Wizards. He was talking about how low scoring soccer was. Ironically, the Wizards game was higher scoring than the Chiefs game that week.

When you take away the multipoint scoring system and football, the sport doesnt have much more scoring than soccer does.

For example, the Ravens v. Titans game this last week was basically 3-2. Thats a score thats not too uncommon in soccer.

It's just that dumb people are easily fooled by a system that gives multiple points for scoring. That doesnt mean there is more scoring, just more points awarded for it.

Funny you pick the game in which two of the leagues best defenses face off. Lets look at the other games that same weekend using the system of a score is just one point. The Steelers would have had 5 points, the Eagles 5 points and the Cards 7 points.

One of the highest scoring games in MLS history was a 5-5 tie. One of the highest scoring games in the Premier League was 7-4. So there we have and all time high for two leagues and football puts that up every weekend.

I could throw in the Buffalo vs Kansas City game from week 12 of this seasons, using the single point for a score method. Which would show that the Bill would have tied the Premier League record for goals in a game, in the 1st half scoring 7 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or