U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,996,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
By the way, the best way to shoot down American football (not that I want to) is to compare it to rugby league, not soccer. This comparison of unlike games is pretty stupid, and based mostly around the simple fascination with the shorthand "football" meaning different things in the U.S. and England.
Rugby league??? Egads, now that really IS boring!!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,572,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Rugby league??? Egads, now that really IS boring!!
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,089,713 times
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why

Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Are you ****ing kidding me?
No not kidding at all. I know it's huge in Oz but I just can't get into it compared to Union. It's like, someone took all the redeeming qualities of union, removed them, and combined that with some of the worst aspects of American football without including it's redeeming qualities.

Ok, let's all line back up after the tackle with no ruck and try to run through the opposing line after we've given them the time to reorganize. Oh, and you only have 4 or 5(? can't remember) tackles in which to score a try or you have to kick. Take the forward pass and blocking out of American football and you have, more or less, rugby league. Eh...union is far superior. Just my opinion.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,179,704 times
If you think soccer is boring, then how about cricket?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
No not kidding at all. I know it's huge in Oz but I just can't get into it compared to Union. It's like, someone took all the redeeming qualities of union, removed them, and combined that with some of the worst aspects of American football without including it's redeeming qualities.

Ok, let's all line back up after the tackle with no ruck and try to run through the opposing line after we've given them the time to reorganize. Oh, and you only have 4 or 5(? can't remember) tackles in which to score a try or you have to kick. Take the forward pass and blocking out of American football and you have, more or less, rugby league. Eh...union is far superior. Just my opinion.
They're very different as a result of the rules. It's hardly just a stripped down version. If you'd actually watched both, you might know that.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
They're very different as a result of the rules. It's hardly just a stripped down version. If you'd actually watched both, you might know that.
LOL I have watched both. I had subscription to Setanta for a very long time. I've watched my fill of league games from both Oz and Britain and I actually saw fit to educate myself on how league came to be in the first place. Turns out it was the first attempt to professionalize rugby in northern England. I prefer union when it comes to rugby.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
LOL I have watched both. I had subscription to Setanta for a very long time. I've watched my fill of league games from both Oz and Britain and I actually saw fit to educate myself on how league came to be in the first place. Turns out it was the first attempt to professionalize rugby in northern England. I prefer union when it comes to rugby.
Do you feel forced to pick one over the other? Do you think Aussie rules is a lesser version of Gaelic football?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Do you feel forced to pick one over the other? Do you think Aussie rules is a lesser version of Gaelic football?
No I don't feel forced to pick one but my mind and taste did anyway. Given the choice between the two, I'd watch union over league. In fact, I'd probably turn league off and find something else to do. I'd watch Gaelic over Aussie rules in a heartbeat. I just prefer those over their compatriot sports. When I say I feel one is superior, I mean to say that to my taste, one is superior. I don't feel at all compelled to think one could not like the other more.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I don't feel at all compelled to think one could not like the other more.
I meant that you could appreciate both for different aspects. They don't have to be compared head-to-head just because they're both "rugby."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or