U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM

19 posts, read 49,515 times

Advertisements

soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world. just because soccer players arent huge like amercan football players does not mean they arent strong or athletic! Whoever said they could be a pro player tomorrow is full of #&*@!
It would be impossile for you to run 90 min and play at that level if you havent played soccer for a long time. Try it -i challenge you.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:08 AM

39 posts, read 70,885 times
The fact that some ignorant fool who hasnt played soccer thinks that he could go out tomorrow and become a professional is laughable. There are many legitimate reasons as to why soccer is not as popular as other sports in the states, reasons which I will not get into now. But elsewhere, such as europe, africa and even asia, soccer is huge, and rightly so. People often bemoan the fat that soccer players are "soft" and athletes from other sports are muh bigger and stronger. But professional soccer players and finely tuned athletes, and fitter than a lot of other professional sportsmen. There is no need for a soccer player to be built like a tank and weigh 250 lbs, because the fact is that if he were it wud be a hinderence to him.

Soccer is seen as an easy game to just "go out and play", and this is true. But i assure u, it is not an easy game to be good at. Even most people who will play soccer there whole live will only be very average players. It is one of the only sports in the world where you use your feet in such a large capacity, to score goals, move the ball around, etc. Football, basketball, baseball, rugby, cricket all sports where the majority of the play is conducted with your hands. This is something i assure u is much easier to grow accustomed too and get good at.

I dont want to get into any big arguments, but these people need to educate themselves a bit before starting a debate. If you dont like american soccer check out english soccer which is at a much higher standard, and try to apreciate the skill level and passion. Skills which include defending, something which by reading this forum people seem to be dead set against.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,671,752 times
If anyone thinks they can step in and become a professional in any sport is laughable. These people are the top of what they do and are in the pros for that. It could be soccer, football, hockey whatever and Joe blow could NOT step in and last more than a few minutes.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,545,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
If anyone thinks they can step in and become a professional in any sport is laughable. These people are the top of what they do and are in the pros for that. It could be soccer, football, hockey whatever and Joe blow could NOT step in and last more than a few minutes.
True. I have absolutely no attraction to soccer, but those guys ARE tremendous athletes. Being an athlete isn't all about strength, although I'm sure any pro soccer player could kick my behind - and probably using only his feet .

Athleticism is about agility, speed, skill, and stamina, or some kind of combination thereof.

Pro soccer players probably have more stamina than athletes in most other sports. It also takes tremendous skill to move that ball around with your feet. I'd be tempted to use my hands!

BTW, I will check out the English league and see if that level of play piques my interest in the sport. I hope it does; I could always use another sport to watch when football isn't in season!

Last edited by Synopsis; 01-17-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,572,027 times
Try checking out your home league.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:12 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,545,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Try checking out your home league.
I just wish Pizza Hut Park where FC Dallas play, was actually in Dallas. Frisco is a long haul from here, Dallas is closer.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,572,027 times
Indeed, that was a mistake. Sadly, sprawl-minded FCD fans don't seem to mind that trip.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:20 AM

542 posts, read 1,295,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched TV sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, girly, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas and do they actually get excited by such a boring sport...is it because foreigners like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?

pretty funny post. you certainly didn't pull any punches.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

I didnt say 60 minutes of clock. There isnt 60 minutes of play in an NFL game. Studies have shown that only 16-18 minutes of each game is spent with the BALL IN PLAY with the average play lasting 6 seconds.

Last year, the Super Bowl had the most time with the ball in play with 17 minutes and 42 seconds. There was some games with play time as low as 14 minutes.

I will try to find the link that shows all this. But, if you follow football you really dont need much proof to realize that a majority of the 60 minute clock is spent with players standing around.

this may be true, but some of the downtime is spent calling audibles, or measuring first downs, other related actions. these are all things that keep football fans entertained. just like the guy sayed earlier about shifts in soccer. personally i can't stand watching soccer, but if you do those shifts probably keep you entertained because it's part of the game. in america most nfl fans root for a specific team represented by there area, thus envolving them more in the game. same with soccer in other areas.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 PM

the argument about hands verse feet doesn't make much sense to me. al pro athletes are great athletes in different ways. to the guys who talk about baseball being a bunch of fat guys standing around and it takes no talent etc. hitting a baseball from a major league pitcher is considered the hardest thing to do in all sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or