U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,767,657 times

Advertisements

I hereby nominate this as the stupidest thread in the entire history of CD. Without a doubt.

On one hand, we have some neanderthals making fun of soccer. Well, I admit that I would rather watch paint dry than your average soccer game between two obscure German towns that require umlauts in their names. But at the same time I can appreciate its athleticism and grace. Now I would respect it more if only players wouldn't clutch themselves and roll on the ground every time they got kicked in the shin. Or if every game didn't end with entire villages getting burned down. But soccer critics pretty much don't like anything that doesn't have an American flag wrapped around it, hence the xenophobia.

On the other hand, we have the soccer enthusiasts just squealing like affronted Elton John sphincter boys every time some goober takes a shot at it, and then spout off a bunch of meaningless statistics such as average length of any given play. They just don't realize how predictable they've gotten over the years, the sporting world's equivalent of an anthill that gets kicked over by a mischievous kid just to watch the bugs come boiling out. What soccer fans choose to ignore that football is really endless permutations of strategy in a way that soccer is simply not, with the additional bonus of watching very large, very fast guys smack into one another at high velocities. Yet, for some reason, these ninnies think soccer is the intellectual superior sport. They can typically be found extending pinkie fingers when drinking coffee and arguing Derrida in loud voices at the faculty meetings.

So, here's my proposal to both sides. Just shut up. Don't you guys realize how tedious you really are? Nobody else really cares.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-02-2009 at 07:04 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,579,522 times
Gridiron football has insane amounts of strategy, but how much is devised by players? Nowadays, they seem more like chess pieces. Fans obsess now over offensive and defensive coordinators. That's the equivalent of an assistant coach. There are two different guys whose job is to kick, but different types of kicks! Other guys also play only during these brief kicking sessions. We have more guys on one sideline than altogether on the field. Things have gone overboard.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Gridiron football has insane amounts of strategy, but how much is devised by players? Nowadays, they seem more like chess pieces. Fans obsess now over offensive and defensive coordinators. That's the equivalent of an assistant coach. There are two different guys whose job is to kick, but different types of kicks! Other guys also play only during these brief kicking sessions. We have more guys on one sideline than altogether on the field. Things have gone overboard.
So? It's a pointless observation.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So? It's a pointless observation.
SO, the point on strategy/planning can be made for either side, depending on how you view it: soccer players or football coaches.

And being flippant gets you nowhere.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,673,970 times
Quote:

Cheese pieces don't have to adjust to pieces moving where they weren't planed to be. In Chess a piece has a certain power but in football there might be a play where a player considered not as good makes a big play on a better player. Anyone think David Tyree would make a catch like that over Harrison one of the better DB's in the NFL?

You can have a plan but you need the players to execute it.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Cheese pieces don't have to adjust to pieces moving where they weren't planed to be. In Chess a piece has a certain power but in football there might be a play where a player considered not as good makes a big play on a better player. Anyone think David Tyree would make a catch like that over Harrison one of the better DB's in the NFL?

You can have a plan but you need the players to execute it.
That's skill and innate talent. I was talking about the mental aspect of it all.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,866 times
Quote:

I agree. This is one of the reasons I like watching the Colts because Peyton Manning actually runs his offense and calls most of the plays. That is something that all QBs or other qualified offensive player should do. It speeds up the game.

I also think the game is too specialized. A certain number of players should be required to play both sides of the ball. They use to do it and there is no reason they cant do it again. Get rid of the fat ass lineman and require people that arent about to keel over to play that position and make them play both D and O lines.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
SO, the point on strategy/planning can be made for either side, depending on how you view it: soccer players or football coaches.

And being flippant gets you nowhere.
It deserved flippancy. My brother in law is English. His favorite team is Manchester United. But also enjoys American football. And he'll be the first to say that football has far, far more strategy to it than soccer. According to my sports-happy brother in law, football players have to be far more disciplined and be prepared to change plays on the fly, whereas a soccer player just shifts a bit and kicks the ball. You can certainly make a case for soccer players having greater endurance, but it is laughable to say that soccer has a great deal of strategy to it.

But once again, it is utter stupidity to argue which game is better than the other. It's just mental masturbation. Indulge all you want if it makes you feel better, but nobody would respect the argument you make.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,015,166 times
Give me a break..... Watching the NFL and MLB is about as broing as watching a funeral procession. I prefer watching sports with very little stops in play, like soccer or hockey. Do you know how much actual playing time is in a 3.5 hour NFL game?? 14-16 minutes!!! 14-16 minutes of actual playing, the rest of the time the players are just standing in a huddle or in timeout. And dont get me started on roidball.....

Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,113,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Give me a break..... Watching the NFL and MLB is about as broing as watching a funeral procession. I prefer watching sports with very little stops in play, like soccer or hockey. Do you know how much actual playing time is in a 3.5 hour NFL game?? 14-16 minutes!!! 14-16 minutes of actual playing, the rest of the time the players are just standing in a huddle or in timeout. And dont get me started on roidball.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Do you know how much actual playing time is in a 3.5 hour NFL game?? 12-14 minutes!!! 12-14 minutes of actual playing, the rest of the time the players are just standing in a huddle or in timeout.
First of all; American football games rarely run 3.5 hours unless there is an overtime.

Second, your assessment is not entirely accurate. See below (taken from post earlier in thread).

(bolded lines represent things that happen while the clock is running, but the ball is not technically in play, skewing those "ball in play stats" that people throw around)

-offensive line has to make the proper reads on the defense pre-snap
-quarterback has to make the proper reads on the defense pre-snap (change play if necessary)

-offensive line has to execute said reads and blocks to keep quarterback upright
-quarterback has maybe 3-4 seconds to locate primary receiver or go through "check-downs"
-simultaneously, wide receivers have to run precision routes and expect the ball to be thrown at any time, at times while their back is turned, and often with defenders hanging on them

Also, could someone explain stoppage time in soccer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or