U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times

Advertisements

Personal;ly'i thnik it depends on the sports you were raised on and know well. I personally don't like soccer but many that were raised on it do. I do find footabll interesting tho.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,716,377 times
Just want to make sure that our "football friends" see this

Soccer injuries that you won't see in football
because you guys wear "protective gear" (Don't want those guys to get hurt)

YouTube - Choque de cabezas de Dario Veron accidente de futbol

YouTube - John Terry gets kicked in the face

YouTube - Navarro Assault on Arango

BTW,
you think playing football in Denver is tough? (5200ft)
Try playing soccer at Potosi (Bolivia) at 13,400ft above sea level.
The highest peak in the Rockies is Mt. Elbert (14,440ft)

A Brazilian football club says it will never again play at high altitude after 'inhumane' conditions in the mountains of Bolivia.
Footballers needed oxygen:,Footballers needed oxygen, Brazilian football club, mountains of Bolivia, Flamengo players, football players, Potosi, Libertadores Cup Group, Marcio Braga, Potosi's Mario Mercado stadium, world's highest professiona

A Brazilian football(soccer) club says it will never again play at high altitude after 'inhumane' conditions in the mountains of Bolivia.
Flamengo players repeatedly had to go to the sidelines for oxygen during their 2-2 draw in Potosi, reports the Guardian.
Flamengo drew 2-2 in the Libertadores Cup Group Five match at nearly 4,000 metres above sea level.
Club president Marcio Braga described the performance as "epic" but said the conditions were "unsporting and inhumane".
Potosi's Mario Mercado stadium is one of the world's highest professional football(soccer) grounds.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:02 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,578,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Personal;ly'i thnik it depends on the sports you were raised on and know well. I personally don't like soccer but many that were raised on it do. I do find footabll interesting tho.
This provides a huge obstacle but is hardly the defining factor. There were a bunch of sports I like now which I'd never heard of as a kid. Conversely, I was brought up on baseball but now find it pretty unwatchable.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:40 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,553,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This provides a huge obstacle but is hardly the defining factor. There were a bunch of sports I like now which I'd never heard of as a kid. Conversely, I was brought up on baseball but now find it pretty unwatchable.
"Conversely"???

San Jose. Land of Goobers, Gomers, and Geeks.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
"Conversely"???

San Jose. Land of Goobers, Gomers, and Geeks.
con·verse
Pronunciation:
\kən-ˈvərs, ˈkän-ˌ\
Function:
adjective
Date:

1 : reversed in order, relation, or action
2 : being a logical or mathematical converse <the converse theorem>
— con·verse·ly adverb

Old 02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,892,592 times
the same people who love soccer don't watch baseball and football are wondering why it is so exciting. kind of a culture. if you notice over the past 5-10 yrs, soccer's popularity has grown immensely(especially in high school) in the U.S. i am glad there are more soccer matches to watch too!!

Last edited by JL; 02-16-2009 at 06:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,673,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Just want to make sure that our "football friends" see this

It was one guy kicking another and two guy head butting and the other was a dirty and illegal play. Yes painful but getting hit in football is like being in a car accident

Cosby's Block

Ohio St Hit

Punt return Hit

Reggie Bush meet Sheldon Brown

We have a hole thread about this on the football forum.

Link

Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
While, I agree soccer has it's fans who love it and Football has it's please don't say soccer players have the same physically grueling injuries as a player in football.

He cut his nose okay, Brett Favre played with a broken thumb, Broken Ribs at one of the most physically demanding positions. Hell Jack Youngblood played the entire playoffs and SUper Bowl with a broken leg.

I guess you have never seen a soccer player who got elbowed in the head and get a gash have to get his head stapled in a matter of seconds and get back on the field. Players also get stitches in their head on the sideline and get back into the game.

I have seen guys tear their MCL or ACL and keep playing.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,111,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I guess you have never seen a soccer player who got elbowed in the head and get a gash have to get his head stapled in a matter of seconds and get back on the field. Players also get stitches in their head on the sideline and get back into the game.

I have seen guys tear their MCL or ACL and keep playing.
Can't we just all accept that injuries happen in all sports and move on? Football, soccer, hockey, basketball, baseball, volleyball, cycling, etc; all of these sports have players who have played through some crazy injuries. Just because someone gets hurt playing soccer doesn't mean soccer is a brutal game; it means it is a SPORT. Sports injuries happen, and tough players will play through them, in every sport.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 PM

Bragging about injuries is stupid. If anything, they show fault in a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or