Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times

Advertisements

LOL! No, but maybe what they consider exciting or interesting is entirely different. We tend to be more of an instant gratification culture, don't you think?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,578,154 times
I used to think soccer was boring, too. I felt (and still feel) the same about baseball. However, I caught part of the Copa America Tournament back in the summer of 2007. I saw a game between Brazil and Venezuela that was anything but boring.

The problem with soccer in the states is most Americans who do give it a try end up watching the MLS. MLS is getting better, but it is still and second or third tier league. You have to see the best palyers in the world play to get a true appreciation for the game. One day I was switching back and forth between watching a galaxy game (can't remember their opponent) and a game between Manchester United and Arsenal. It did not even seem like the same sport. The Premiere League players moved so much faster, and passed so much better.

In two short years I have found myself very fond of the game. I am still not too big on MLS, but I do hope it gets better. I am looking forward to the next year's Wold Cup. I look forward to getting my two children into it once they get a little older.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,310,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I used to think soccer was boring, too. I felt (and still feel) the same about baseball. However, I caught part of the Copa America Tournament back in the summer of 2007. I saw a game between Brazil and Venezuela that was anything but boring.

The problem with soccer in the states is most Americans who do give it a try end up watching the MLS. MLS is getting better, but it is still and second or third tier league. You have to see the best palyers in the world play to get a true appreciation for the game. One day I was switching back and forth between watching a galaxy game (can't remember their opponent) and a game between Manchester United and Arsenal. It did not even seem like the same sport. The Premiere League players moved so much faster, and passed so much better.

In two short years I have found myself very fond of the game. I am still not too big on MLS, but I do hope it gets better. I am looking forward to the next year's Wold Cup. I look forward to getting my two children into it once they get a little older.
1. Venezuela is not a great footballing nation, like you imply.

2. You compared the worst team in MLS to the best of England (and the world). Look at the Crew compared to Stoke. The Galaxy even had Beckham and Donovan, now at Milan and Bayern, but still sucked hard.

3. Watch Serie A to see that talent and excitement do not always go hand-in-hand. MLS provides plenty for viewers.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,636,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched TV sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, girly, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas and do they actually get excited by such a boring sport...is it because foreigners like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?
Anyone who says that MLB is more exciting than soccer needs their head checking. MLB consists of some fat bloke chewing bubblegum and standing around for about five minutes at a time only to have the ball pitched at him while he waits there and watches it fly past. Then, when he does attempt a swing, he'll either wallop it backwards for a foul or straight into an outfielder's mitt. If, by chance, he does happen to hit it into the open field he'll waddle to first base and, after continuing his periodic waddling for the next 10 minutes or so, will score a point and go and collect his grossly overinflated paycheck, to the adoration of a bunch of overweight, undereducated, merch buying, beer chugging, hot dog scoffing, culture lacking, loudmouth fans.

You might think that that is a plebby, inept and generally clueless approach to baseball from someone who hardly knows a thing about it. And guess what - you'd be right. I think the same about your opinion on soccer. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Edit: And by the way, if you're thinking of getting into watching soccer then, for the love of all things bright and holy, don't start with MLS. It is of an absolutely shocking standard in comparison with the truely elite stuff such as the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga. I don't know how readily available European soccer is to you folks in the States but if you ever get the opportunity to watch some then do because you'll see the beautiful game at its best.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Check the amazing athlete worth millions of dollars:

He looks like he's about to throw health food back into the kitchen.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,935,834 times
Boring is a matter of OPINION. Soccer may be boring as hell to you, but it can be the most exciting and fun sport for someone else. People in South America and Central America like soccer because those areas are poverty-stricken and do not have the EQUIPMENT to play football or baseball. Because, think about it, to play soccer, all you need is a ball and that's it. For baseball you need gloves, bats, shoes, etc.

Plus, C.C Sabathia may have a belly.....but pitchers are not required to be in peak physical condition. They need strong legs and big thighs to put more power into the pitches.....and for movement as well. So that pic of C.C Sabathia is pointless. Lemme find a pic of a fat golly let me the entire sport, huh? Ridiculous.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,578,154 times
kurdmonk,

I never said Venezeula is a great footballing nation. I said the game I saw between them and Brazil was an exciting game. The excitement came from watching Brazil. Venezuela just happen to be their opponent.

Also, leagues tend to be defined by their best teams, not their worst. I used the example I used because those were the games on at that moment. However,the level of play between the top MLS clubs and the bottom clubs is no that much different. If you want to compare the best of the leagues how does the Crew compare to Chelsea or Liverpool?

It is not a knock against MLS. I brought up MLS to make the point that when most Americans think of soccer MLS comes to mind. It was the case with me. It was not until I got a chance to see a higher quality of players that I began to develop an interest in the game.

Last edited by CaliDude1; 01-12-2009 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Boring is a matter of OPINION. Soccer may be boring as hell to you, but it can be the most exciting and fun sport for someone else. People in South America and Central America like soccer because those areas are poverty-stricken and do not have the EQUIPMENT to play football or baseball. Because, think about it, to play soccer, all you need is a ball and that's it. For baseball you need gloves, bats, shoes, etc.

Plus, C.C Sabathia may have a belly.....but pitchers are not required to be in peak physical condition. They need strong legs and big thighs to put more power into the pitches.....and for movement as well. So that pic of C.C Sabathia is pointless. Lemme find a pic of a fat golly let me the entire sport, huh? Ridiculous.
1. There's hardly just one fat guy in baseball.

2. Fat guys are not necessarily un-athletic. Look at offensive linemen.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,569,900 times
LOL! I believe the red-blooded patriotic Americans were the ones that coined the term "soccer moms". Now compared to MLB "America's favorite past-time" soccer is a lot shorter and fast paced. Personally I think Americans prefer Basketball and Football over the other, though today watching Basketball just seems like staring at the walls of a tattoo gallery, I'd guess we can stick with football being the #1 sport for a while. For me it'd be Saturday over Sunday night football, just look at those jugs.

http://wvmountaintop.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/tebow.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-12-2009, 12:31 PM

30 posts, read 55,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post

baseball is played in some of the poorest regions of s.america. And soccer is the most popular in the rich countries, germany, italy, england...etc. And if you think nobody has any interest in playing or watching american football anywhere else because they can't afford PLASTIC PADS AND HELMETS, you seriously need to get out more. They think american football is boring to play to watch and it has nothign to do with equipment. There are many more expensive sports that are popular worldwide. The second most watched sport in the world is F1, and the average formula costs 5 million dollars.

People watch soccer and not baseball because they consider baseball boring and soccer exciting. Not because they can't afford a bat and a leather glove. If you give them plastic pads and a helmet for american football, they will throw them away and go watch european soccer. Soccer doesn't need shoes and baseball does? wtf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.