U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 04:39 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,239,420 times

Advertisements

Ok...have you taken the time to get to know more about soccer? It is NOT a girly sport and any guy who has played will tell you that. My brother in law played in High School and was dang good, my sons best friend played and here is where I learned how exhausting and tough it could be. The amount of non stop running they do, the kicks, shoves, pushes and other physicalness of it is amazing..not sissy at all. After my brother in law married my sister, they had 5 girls who ALL played soccer just like Dad. All were good and all did NOT come out of it bump free.

Soccer IS the sport of Europe and they call it "Football" not Soccer. They go as nuts over Soccer as we do our football and Major League Baseball. It is all a matter of preference and a matter of taste I suppose but you cannot and should not knock Soccer so badly just because you hate it. Try running non stop like the soccer players do and then tell me it is for sissies!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,670,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

David Beckham is an overrated Football Star at best. Lets put Reggie Bush up against Rolandino or Rivaldo or Aguero and see how he does. Hed be left standing still.

Okay lets do it, and Reggie Bush isn't even our Best RB.

Rugby while tough is alot of smaller guys hitting each other once again for the hundredth time football players are BIGGER, FASTER and the collisions are more intense. Sorry but running and shoving aren't the same as the force of being in a car accident going over the middle. Football player wear pads because they would have very serious injuries if they did not. I have posted the hardest hits in college football in this thread before go look at that.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:49 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,567,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Rugby while tough is alot of smaller guys...

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/ffximage/2008/03/06/maa_nonu.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
...hitting each other once again for the hundredth time football players are BIGGER, FASTER and the collisions are more intense.
That's only because football players sit around taking a breather before they go back out and play for another 8-second burst. There's little endurance required. It's like a thousand little games strung together as one.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:17 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,840,369 times
First off, I LOVE American football especially watching it on TV. The NFL is the best sport to watch on TV hands down in my opinion.

Second off, I have grown up playing soccer, at a very high level. I LOVE watching World Cup soccer every 4 years. Although in my 30s, I still play soccer a couple of times a week.

With that said, anybody that insults soccer as a girly sport (most soccer playing girls would kick your a$$ by the way), or calls soccer players, not athletic abviously has never tried to play soccer. I guarantee if you tried playing 1 single freaking game, you'd respect soccer as a sport and soccer players as athletes alot more. We all have our preferences, that's fine if you don't like it, but don't put it down and insult those who play it.

And to those who put down American Football and Football players, the same thing can be said. American football is definitely an athlete's game and American football players are great athletes. The two sports are just different and are played by totally different types of athletes. I LOVE both sports!

P.S. Seems like the guy who started this thread was trying to start a big fight on here. I bet, he's never played a sport in his life. I bet he'd get his butt kicked playing against a girl's high school soccer team. Probably wouldn't even finish the game. Put the Doritos down and go for a run dude!

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 03-29-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-29-2009, 12:26 PM

7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Quote:
Okay lets do it, and Reggie Bush isn't even our Best RB.

Rugby while tough is alot of smaller guys hitting each other once again for the hundredth time football players are BIGGER, FASTER and the collisions are more intense. Sorry but running and shoving aren't the same as the force of being in a car accident going over the middle. Football player wear pads because they would have very serious injuries if they did not. I have posted the hardest hits in college football in this thread before go look at that.
I have no idea who Reggie Bush is, I was just making a pointless comparison such as you did

Rugby players are NOT allot smaller than NFL players. Rugby players are similar sizes to NFL players but are allot fitter. Rugby is more of a constant game than American Football is. Ruby players get hard hits. I played for a while. Have you every had your head stood on with aluminum studs by a guy that weighs 250 lbs? I have as have all Rugby players who get up and walk away like it was nothing. If you think Rugby players don't hit hard I suggest you go watch a game. I have watched American Football and I know they get hit hard, I wont dispute that but they do wear tonnes of padding.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
P.S. Seems like the guy who started this thread was trying to start a big fight on here. I bet, he's never played a sport in his life. I bet he'd get his butt kicked playing against a girl's high school soccer team. Probably wouldn't even finish the game. Put the Doritos down and go for a run dude!
I was a goalkeeping coach for a bit for a Womens "Soccer" team and youre probably right. I found the girls more violent with off the ball situations than men.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,670,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

That's only because football players sit around taking a breather before they go back out and play for another 8-second burst. There's little endurance required. It's like a thousand little games strung together as one.

First I would say I respect rugby and it is comparable to football. The argument was soccer is just as physically tough as football as far as hits and such and football players are just big fats guys, which is wrong on both counts.

Tomorrow on the Travel Channel Dhani Jones an NFL linebacker, not our best, does a show in which he plays rugby. We shall see how one of ours does against rugby guys. I would like to know more about rugby as it is not on where I live and just from the videos I have seen, it looks interesting.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:27 PM

I never saw anybody say that Football players get hit as hard as American Football players. Football players have overall better fitness than American Football players.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:30 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,797,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I never saw anybody say that Football players get hit as hard as American Football players. Football players have overall better fitness than American Football players.
By which measure?

X-Greensboro has it right. You can respect both games and players.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM

90 minutes of constantly running around vs 60 minute game thats played over 3 to 4 hours. I don't think NFL players would have the stamina for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or