U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,671,396 times
Reputation: 1024

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Ha, an NFL player versus some club guys from a team that doesn't even play in the nation's top amateur level...

Ha, You can have some DB's from college football and pretty sure they almost 3X LB's of force would be that different. Sucks when science shows some actual facts doesn't it!

 
Old 03-30-2009, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
So more or less this is your point. NFL players wear pads so they hit harder rugby players don wear pads so they don't hit as hard. Lets think about this, if your wearing a motorcycle helmet and are in a 10 MPH crash or 35 MPH crash which will hurt more? which is more 4500 LBS or force or 1600 LBS of force? Simple question
With both the thing hitting me and and the helmet I am wearing having things in them that absorb the shock ? I can tell ya my neck is gonna hurt worse than my head if I have good quality headgear on Id take 4500lbs with full padding and shock absorbing vs 1600 man on man The video is not very scientific. Are ALL hits in NFL that and Rugby that too ? Did they take Rugbys biggest hardest fastest men ? DId they do the same with the NFL player ?
 
Old 03-31-2009, 01:01 AM
 
542 posts, read 1,294,972 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Ha, an NFL player versus some club guys from a team that doesn't even play in the nation's top amateur level...

yeah, i thought the test kind of sucked. for example: they said quentin jammer is one of the hardest hitters in football. somehow i just don't believe that. for 1 he's a corner and he weighs about 205. but, now imagine you do a similar test instead with ray lewis who weighs 250 lbs.
the reality is, both rugby and football are very tough at the highest levels.
 
Old 03-31-2009, 01:21 AM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,571,047 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Ha, You can have some DB's from college football and pretty sure they almost 3X LB's of force would be that different. Sucks when science shows some actual facts doesn't it!
Those are not "facts." The impact varies from person to person. You know why? Because people make the hits. Football and rugby do not factor into physics. Human bodies do.
 
Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,671,396 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
yeah, i thought the test kind of sucked. for example: they said quentin jammer is one of the hardest hitters in football. somehow i just don't believe that. for 1 he's a corner and he weighs about 205. but, now imagine you do a similar test instead with ray lewis who weighs 250 lbs.
the reality is, both rugby and football are very tough at the highest levels.

I agree 100%, and once again am not sure how this turned into Rugby vs football.
 
Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I agree 100%, and once again am not sure how this turned into Rugby vs football.
Because its sports, the point is that there is a rivalry and my sport is better than yours too. I like these debates every-so-often even though they go nowhere.
 
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,746,473 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
yeah, i thought the test kind of sucked. for example: they said quentin jammer is one of the hardest hitters in football. somehow i just don't believe that. for 1 he's a corner and he weighs about 205. but, now imagine you do a similar test instead with ray lewis who weighs 250 lbs.
the reality is, both rugby and football are very tough at the highest levels.

Because the speed at which a person is traveling going into the collision is going to be a factor as well. Meaning that although Ray Lewis is 50 pounds heavier, Jammers speed could make up for that 50 pounds.

That test isnt very reliable and should not be taken as fact. Althought it is interesting.
 
Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,571,047 times
Reputation: 2829
Also, something to keep in mind is that an NFL tackle is completed by knocking the guy over. In rugby, you must wrap up or else the carrier can keep on running.
 
Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM
 
542 posts, read 1,294,972 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Because the speed at which a person is traveling going into the collision is going to be a factor as well. Meaning that although Ray Lewis is 50 pounds heavier, Jammers speed could make up for that 50 pounds.

That test isnt very reliable and should not be taken as fact. Althought it is interesting.

i understand what your saying and knew this response would come, but jammer probably runs a 4.4 and lewis prob. runs a 4.5, 4.6 which definately doesnt make up 50 lbs. i would understand if the 40 times were something like 4.4 compared to 5.4.
 
Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,671,396 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Also, something to keep in mind is that an NFL tackle is completed by knocking the guy over. In rugby, you must wrap up or else the carrier can keep on running.

Huh? Isn't that also true of football? If they just wrap up the RB is going to break through. I don't know much about rugby but it seems football and rugby both have it so you take the guy down at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Because its sports, the point is that there is a rivalry and my sport is better than yours too. I like these debates every-so-often even though they go nowhere.

Yea but Rugby is close to football and I think there is alot more similarities. The main argument I like is soccer vs Football, but hey I'll put football up vs just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top