U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,996,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Huh? Isn't that also true of football? If they just wrap up the RB is going to break through. I don't know much about rugby but it seems football and rugby both have it so you take the guy down at the end.
What he meant is that in American football, as long as the ballcarrier's knee (body) is down, the play is dead. Not so in rugby. If the ballcarrier is merely knocked to the ground without being rucked, he may get back to his feet and continue progressing the ball down the field. Thus, the rugby tackler must ensure he brings the ballcarrrier to the ground under control so the ruck may form.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,671,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
What he meant is that in American football, as long as the ballcarrier's knee (body) is down, the play is dead. Not so in rugby. If the ballcarrier is merely knocked to the ground without being rucked, he may get back to his feet and continue progressing the ball down the field. Thus, the rugby tackler must ensure he brings the ballcarrrier to the ground under control so the ruck may form.

I understand now, I think it would benefit if we knew the rules. It just sucks that they don't show rugby here so you never get the chance to watch it.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
Setanta shows (least it used to) lots of Rugby. ESPN used to do. Not sure which ESPN it was though.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,539 times
Just found this post on the internet and found it interesting at how many Americans find a lethargic sport such as baseball more exciting than Football (not soccer). This opinion is probably due to the MLS not being a very good league compared to other leagues across the world. Being born in Liverpool, England i have been brought up on football and basically life revolves round it. The reason it is so exciting is due to the atmosphere, the tension of the last minutes, the family rivalry and the pace and skill possessed by players. I saw some people comment that it required no skill and anybody could play it - trying telling that to the millions of children in Britain who don't make it as a footballer. You need pace, agility, strength and stamina which in itself makes it a different type of sport to the NFL because tthe techniques and qualities required are totally different.

Probably not many Americans are used to atmosphere at a sporting event whereas i was born 5 minutes outside Anfield and football is the most important thing to me. Singing at matches with raw emotion and enjoying yourself at a sporting event is key and that is what football brings.

An eample of this atmosphere is shown by this video :
YouTube - You'll Never Walk Alone Liverpool V Barcelona

Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseYozzer View Post

Probably not many Americans are used to atmosphere at a sporting event whereas i was born 5 minutes outside Anfield and football is the most important thing to me. Singing at matches with raw emotion and enjoying yourself at a sporting event is key and that is what football brings.

An eample of this atmosphere is shown by this video :
YouTube - You'll Never Walk Alone Liverpool V Barcelona

Really? I guess you have never been to an American football or baseball game. I have been to several Texas football games where we sing The Eyes of Texas

YouTube - what it sounds like when 97,200 sing together

Also the University of Wisconsin has the Jump Around where everyone Jumps around, so powerful it has caused readings on the Richter scale.

If you want baseball they have the seventh inning stretch and in Boston we sing sweet Caroline. I would also say there is nothing like a post season baseball game for atmosphere. I would suggest watching the 2004 ALCS, some of the best baseball I can remember.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 PM

51 posts, read 123,019 times
I'm one of the guys here that thinks soccer sucks. I really can't watch it without falling asleep, it's terrible.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 PM

But in the clip you just showed me it was the band producing the music not the fans and that stadium fit 97,000 yet anfield produced more noise with 40,000 fans. In football chants and songs are made up by he fans for the team and specific players not a happy sing along with a band on the pitch. Songs are actually sung during the match aswell with the same amount of noise and passion not just some whooping and cheering that seems to occur at NFL games.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Furthermore, the atmosphere of football was even greater when the stadiums were all standing but stadiums lost some of its tradition when they brought seats in the 1990's for safety reasons. I don't deny Americans are passionate for their sport but the continous atmosphere in football far exceeds NFL or Baseball (MLB?). Video of Anfield when standing when you were sucked in by the sway of the crowd :

YouTube - Toshack and the Kop in the 70/71 Anfield derby

Old 04-02-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseYozzer View Post
But in the clip you just showed me it was the band producing the music not the fans and that stadium fit 97,000 yet anfield produced more noise with 40,000 fans. In football chants and songs are made up by he fans for the team and specific players not a happy sing along with a band on the pitch. Songs are actually sung during the match aswell with the same amount of noise and passion not just some whooping and cheering that seems to occur at NFL games.

You don't hear the 97,000 people singing the song of Texas football? You sing the words while the band plays the song, thats how it goes. We roll out a 8ft drum and 350 person band. Sorry but a fight song is the spirit of a school not just some song. Also, no matter how many flags you wave or what NOTHING you have can come close to the Hook'em Horns gesture.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:54 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times

YouTube - Fans brings Stadium to shake
Yeh absolutely nothing comes close :S

YouTube - Boca fans

YouTube - Besiktas fans - MEGA atmosphere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or