Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,954,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
that's true, if i or you wanted to become proffesional soccer players tommorow we probably could. Any regular person could become a soccer player, its so easy it takes no skill or physical attributes except jog and kick a ball. Look at any soccer player, they are physically nothing, any NFL player is like 6'3 280lb and would dominate soccer. Imagine if any NFL player played soccer America would win the world cup every year.

That post is probably the most idiotic, uneducated **** I have ever read in my life.

No skill? Are you serious? With games like football, basketball, baseball you use your hands. The same hands that you use all day everyday to write, eat, pick up things, drive your car, etc. You train your hands all day everyday to work with your body.

Do you do anything with your feet that trains you to handle a ball like you do with your hands? Nope.

Imagine running at full speed with a ball at your feet in perfect control and then having to kick it over to another player that is also running at full speed which is 100 feet away and having to place it perfectly at their feet.

Do you think you can do that? Do you think it would take no skill?

Also, the average soccer player runs 6-8 miles every single game. I am sorry but 3/4 of the players in the NFL couldnt do that, ever. In fact, many of the players in the NFL arent even in cardiovascular shape. Having big muscles doesnt mean you are a good athlete or even in shape.

When I played soccer, the use to tell the football players at my school that if they acted up they would have to go train with the soccer players. It happened once and all those football players were on their knees throwing up exhausted and they all went home. That was on a day that practice was relatively easy. It never happened again.

I would love for you to come play with my friends some day. You would leave bloodied, exhausted and with your foot stuck so far in your mouth it would be come out your ass.

You call soccer boring yet their is 90 minutes of constant action. In football, the average NFL game only has 16-18 minutes of gameplay in a 3 hour and 15 minute timeframe. In baseball, the average play last 7 seconds and often has 1-2 minute breaks between. So, please tell me how those sports are less boring than soccer. It makes no sense whatsever given the information above.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I hate soccer as well and will never understand how folks in other countries enjoy it. Maybe its because any regular guy can play it and play it well? Maybe its because Ivan or Diego who lives down the street plays on the team? I dont know, but it is boring as hell to me and looks EXACTLY the same as when grade school kids play it.

Now professional football and baseball looks totally different than when its played on any other level (unlike soccer) which is one of the million reasons they are much much better than soccer,

There is just as much difference between levels in soccer as other sports. But, you cant tell that if you dont understand the game.

You cant be a regular guy and play soccer either. Almost everyone has hand eye coordination demanded by baseball, football, and basketball. Hardly anyone has the feet eye coordination because you dont train that on a daily basis.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:55 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,733,206 times
Personally, I really can't stand soccer. But to say that it takes no skill and that a 6'3" 280# NFL player could dominate it is total lunacy. I would imagine that some cornerbacks and wide outs could eventually make very fine soccer players but not out of the gate. Just as RjRobb says, you train your hands all day every day but rarely do you train your feet in the manner required to play soccer. Still I find soccer pretty dull, only a small notch above baseball. There are other fine sports out there in this world that require some of the skill of soccer, some of the physicality of football, the finesse and athleticism of basketball and combine them all into a single exciting spectacle. Irish Gaelic football comes to mind.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,630,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Check the amazing athlete worth millions of dollars:

He looks like he's about to throw health food back into the kitchen.
I lol'd!

Seriously though folks, everyone is entitled to their own tastes and opinions but to say that soccer doesn't require skill is a joke. I'd rather engage in a lively and exciting activity such as, ooh I dunno, stapling my eyeballs together, than sit through an entire game of baseball but I don't deny that it requires skill. Heck, curling requires skill and that's just a bunch of people with brooms and a large weight!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

You call soccer boring yet their is 90 minutes of constant action. In football, the average NFL game only has 16-18 minutes of gameplay in a 3 hour and 15 minute timeframe. In baseball, the average play last 7 seconds and often has 1-2 minute breaks between. So, please tell me how those sports are less boring than soccer. It makes no sense whatsever given the information above.
I agree with you about the athletic ability of soccer players. I don't think anyone can really argue that seriously.

90 minutes of constant action? Most of the time, the ball just goes from one guy to another to another, one big kick down the field, stand there, stand there, everyone run this way...wait, for 10 seconds, there's a play at the goal! Oh, no, never mind...well, in another 5 minutes, they may break into the penalty box again without it going out of bounds and something might happen...

I think it's easier to see the consequences and the obvious outcomes of each football play. Every time the quarterback throws the ball is exciting for me...will there be a catch? A first down? An interception? A fake?

Highly defensive football games with low scores can also be boring. But I'll take watching that over watching a soccer game any day.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM

30 posts, read 55,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree with you about the athletic ability of soccer players. I don't think anyone can really argue that seriously.

90 minutes of constant action? Most of the time, the ball just goes from one guy to another to another, one big kick down the field, stand there, stand there, everyone run this way...wait, for 10 seconds, there's a play at the goal! Oh, no, never mind...well, in another 5 minutes, they may break into the penalty box again without it going out of bounds and something might happen...

I think it's easier to see the consequences and the obvious outcomes of each football play. Every time the quarterback throws the ball is exciting for me...will there be a catch? A first down? An interception? A fake?

Highly defensive football games with low scores can also be boring. But I'll take watching that over watching a soccer game any day.
if you "stand there, stand there" in soccer, you get cut from the team. You must be thinking of american padded rugby and baseball, where 95% of the game time the athletes spend in not moving.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Personally, I really can't stand soccer. But to say that it takes no skill and that a 6'3" 280# NFL player could dominate it is total lunacy. I would imagine that some cornerbacks and wide outs could eventually make very fine soccer players but not out of the gate. Just as RjRobb says, you train your hands all day every day but rarely do you train your feet in the manner required to play soccer.
The average soccer player is what, 5'10 170lb? The average NFL player if 6'0 and 250lb. There is no comparison, NFL players would easily be great soccer players because of their greater size. What's a sissy soccer player going to do against the awesome power of Brian Urlacher or Larry Allen. American are simply bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
if you "stand there, stand there" in soccer, you get cut from the team. You must be thinking of american padded rugby and baseball, where 95% of the game time the athletes spend in not moving.
I don't qualify running back and forth in place without ever touching the ball as 'action.' There is a lot of (what appears to spectators) aimless trotting. I understand the players are shifting, etc, but that doesn't make it more interesting to watch.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The average soccer player is what, 5'10 170lb? The average NFL player if 6'0 and 250lb. There is no comparison, NFL players would easily be great soccer players because of their greater size. What's a sissy soccer player going to do against the awesome power of Brian Urlacher or Larry Allen. American are simply bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic.

You are mixing up size with athleticism. Football players arent fast enough to be soccer players. They are quicker in the 40 yard dash but not in the mile. Football players wouldnt last 2 minutes on a soccer field without stopping needing to sitdown sucking air.

In professional soccer, players get benched for even going 2-3 pounds overweight because they cant even keep up. How do you think an NFL player that is extremely obese doing to do?

Size has nothing to do with athleticism. Studies have shown that female gymnast are the most athletic people on the planet yet most of them hardly weigh 100 pounds.

Body builders are huge but are some of the most unhealthly people there are. Most of them are in the verge of being hospitalized. Most of them arent athletic in the least.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't qualify running back and forth in place without ever touching the ball as 'action.' There is a lot of (what appears to spectators) aimless trotting. I understand the players are shifting, etc, but that doesn't make it more interesting to watch.
appears to spectators as aimless trotting? why would someone aimlessly trot and why would hundreds of millions people watch them aimlessly trot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer