U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-16-2009, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Area, Michigan
1,107 posts, read 2,707,472 times
Reputation: 533

Advertisements

I find watching the NFL as well the NBA on tv too boring. Too much play stoppage, too much TV timeouts and Game timeouts. Just let the clock run and the players play the game and no cutting to commercials. I don't like the NFL having six points plus 3 points plus 1 extra point. It get's too confusing. A touch down should = 1 point and a field goal should = 1 point. In Basketball it should be a basket = 1 point instead of 2 or 3 points each time.

Soccer is fun to watch, The crowd is singing and standing for 90 minutes. No timeouts or commercials, so the play is always flowing and you have to outwit your opponent if you want to win. It's all about strategy.

 
Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 PM
 
Location: South Seattle Suburbs
3,350 posts, read 5,953,407 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
I find watching the NFL as well the NBA on tv too boring. Too much play stoppage, too much TV timeouts and Game timeouts. Just let the clock run and the players play the game and no cutting to commercials. I don't like the NFL having six points plus 3 points plus 1 extra point. It get's too confusing. A touch down should = 1 point and a field goal should = 1 point. In Basketball it should be a basket = 1 point instead of 2 or 3 points each time.

Soccer is fun to watch, The crowd is singing and standing for 90 minutes. No timeouts or commercials, so the play is always flowing and you have to outwit your opponent if you want to win. It's all about strategy.
See, I don't mind the start-stop nature of American football. That's one of the biggest complaints foreigners have about it, and I think it's because a lot of the world is conditioned toward continuous-action sports like soccer and rugby. (And they say Americans need to be constantly entertained -- anyone else see the irony?) But I don't see the problem with having some ebb and flow to a game. A team runs its play, and then it retreats to strategize for the next attack. If you know what's going on, there's plenty of drama and tension, even between plays. And lots of strategy. It's all about strategy, in fact. That's one of the defining characteristics of American football. It's like a chess match, except that all the pieces move at the same time.

If you made a touchdown count for the same as a field goal, you'd undermine one of the most basic foundations of the game. Teams would never drive for a touchdown, when a field goal is so much easier to make. Southern Hemisphere rugby union players already complain that their northern counterparts take too many of their scores from penalty goals and drop goals ... and you'd have the same thing happening in American football.

I don't see what's so confusing about the scoring system. You get the greatest reward for a touchdown because it's the hardest score to achieve. But then, I think you've touched on a reason why soccer is so popular around the world: It's simple. It's easy to play, and it's easy to understand. There aren't a lot of complicated rules, and there's only one way to score, with one point value.
 
Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 AM
 
184 posts, read 107,868 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
See, I don't mind the start-stop nature of American football. That's one of the biggest complaints foreigners have about it, and I think it's because a lot of the world is conditioned toward continuous-action sports like soccer and rugby. (And they say Americans need to be constantly entertained -- anyone else see the irony?) But I don't see the problem with having some ebb and flow to a game. A team runs its play, and then it retreats to strategize for the next attack. If you know what's going on, there's plenty of drama and tension, even between plays. And lots of strategy. It's all about strategy, in fact. That's one of the defining characteristics of American football. It's like a chess match, except that all the pieces move at the same time.

If you made a touchdown count for the same as a field goal, you'd undermine one of the most basic foundations of the game. Teams would never drive for a touchdown, when a field goal is so much easier to make. Southern Hemisphere rugby union players already complain that their northern counterparts take too many of their scores from penalty goals and drop goals ... and you'd have the same thing happening in American football.

I don't see what's so confusing about the scoring system. You get the greatest reward for a touchdown because it's the hardest score to achieve. But then, I think you've touched on a reason why soccer is so popular around the world: It's simple. It's easy to play, and it's easy to understand. There aren't a lot of complicated rules, and there's only one way to score, with one point value.
of coure you don't because american sports are for people with add..americans can ony focus for 10-15 sec at the time.more then that you get bored and you loose interest.while football (soccer) requeries your full attension for 90 minutes,because in any given time something can happen and if your you are not focused you will miss it.
 
Old 05-22-2009, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,671,396 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by gghhgg View Post
of coure you don't because american sports are for people with add..americans can ony focus for 10-15 sec at the time.more then that you get bored and you loose interest.while football (soccer) requeries your full attension for 90 minutes,because in any given time something can happen and if your you are not focused you will miss it.

See there are posts that are quality and well thought out like gnab gib's. Then there is yours, which does nothing but say "I'm going to act like a 3rd grader and say if you don't like my sport then your is dumb." Get over yourself. Just because you don't like soccer doesn't mean you have a short attention span, it means you just don't like it. Not everyone has to like the same things.
 
Old 05-22-2009, 07:33 PM
 
2,736 posts, read 3,269,428 times
Reputation: 4098
Truth be told, I did not grow up with the sport of soccer. Like many in the United States, I grew up playing baseball and basketball. U.S. football was something I watched on rare occasions.

My wife and I decided to enroll our children in any team sport of their choosing. Both chose to play AYSO soccer, which was the fad in the 90’s. For nine consecutive years we watched our children play the “beautiful game” known throughout the world as football.

After their playing years, it became commonplace for me to sit with my grown children to watch a few matches from the endless football tournaments in Europe. With fond memories from their days as “footballers,” my children would explain the “triangulation” strategies we’d observe on TV. We placed bets on rival teams amongst ourselves, and later amongst friends.

By the time the 2006 World Cup rolled around I came to the realization that I had become a bonafide football fan. FC Barcelona is my team.

GO BARCA!!! Beat Manchester United!!!
 
Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 PM
 
1,261 posts, read 1,770,888 times
Reputation: 371
Default All trash talkers know they are kinda full of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghhgg View Post
of coure you don't because american sports are for people with add..americans can ony focus for 10-15 sec at the time.more then that you get bored and you loose interest.while football (soccer) requeries your full attension for 90 minutes,because in any given time something can happen and if your you are not focused you will miss it.
This hurts the empathy I have for europeans when they feel they are berated and sterotyped by us Yankees. It can go either way, and it's childish.

Between all 5 sports, they all require strong skill and stamina. Each is different in terms of speed, strategy and skill set, like they have a different "asthetic". This appeals to different people for different reasons.

(example: How many people you know like the sound and tone of BOTH bluegrass and gangster rap AND can comment on them infomed-like for example?)

The whole "blue collar, white collar, snooty fans/down to earth fans" is generally childish trash talk and hype. It all depends on who you talk to. I find ass holes in any sports fandom, it just depends on, all other things how they express their ass-holieness.

I'll tell ya one thing, I know blue collar types in MY family is not gonna fork out the money they have for season tickets to ANY sport, including the guys who almost never miss a game.

I don't know about european soccer prices, but with just how widespread the followship is, I would suppose it as most sports are these days "All-collar"

You can harp on that all you want, but unless you are AWESOME at economic management (and lower income), you gotta be hauling some pretty good cash to go to any kinda major league sport regularly as hardcore fans do. (can't speak on MLS) ESPECAILLY THE SUPPOSEDLY BLUE COLLAR ALL AMERICAN FOOTBALL (yes I like football too).

Yea, I highly respect all 4 of the North American major league sports and soccer. Unlike many people who front though, I haven't seen enough soccer to comment on it so I don't.

Hell, it took me almost half a season to START to get into American football (the one I like the most).

I'm still learning how to watch for certain plays and strategies, I read this is the key in baseball and belies it's supposedly "boring nature".

From what I gather it takes time to really learn how to watch, judge and enjoy a sport if you're NOT a super raging sports freak from an early age.

I apply this to moderate sports fans who most likely make up A SIZABLE MAJORITY of television viewers., particularly football.

Trash talk can be fun sometimes, but at worst it's what it is "TRASH". Both yanks who say that soccer is for girlie pansies (go to scotland, ireland or south america and say that in a bar, you WON'T get off with just a retort)
or who the Eurosphere thinks our sports are for brain dead brutish monkey types (can be GREAT strategy in football, also same bar situation as above, although this dliutes the irony somewhat)



Now with that out of the way, for soccer heads I have one question. Is there often tying in soccer games?

One time I read the ESPN returns for MLS and I sware there were like 5 ties at 1. I think that would seem odd to any sports fan not attune to soccer.
 
Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,800,578 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Now with that out of the way, for soccer heads I have one question. Is there often tying in soccer games?

One time I read the ESPN returns for MLS and I sware there were like 5 ties at 1. I think that would seem odd to any sports fan not attune to soccer.
Yes, there are a lot of draws in soccer, but there's value in them as standings are determined by points (3 points for win, 1 point for draw).
 
Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,603 times
Reputation: 15
It is simple. Nobody but Americans play American football, therefore nobody else is interested in it. Plus, American football is for idiots: 5 seconds of action, 2 minutes of walking around. I went to a few college games in my grad school days and found it about as exciting as watching paint dry. Baseball is played in a few countries beside the U.S. (Cuba and Japan for instance), but it still is not a worldwide sport. Would you watch cricket, if you have never played it or do not know the rules?

Last edited by 2003m3; 06-07-2009 at 08:51 PM..
 
Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,800,578 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003m3 View Post
American football is for idiots
As soon as you wrote this, you became one yourself. I see no reason to take the rest of your post seriously.
 
Old 06-08-2009, 05:44 PM
 
184 posts, read 107,868 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
As soon as you wrote this, you became one yourself. I see no reason to take the rest of your post seriously.
it is for idiots.american media is trying to make it inteligent but it is not.all that crap 700 pages of play book,now they have sport science making them look like super humans.out of that 700 pages play book they use 20 plays a game and all of those plays qb has on him arm to show his wr or rb.stops every 5 sec. for 20 sec. so coach can explain next play to his qb like he is a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top