U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think Americans are really into organization and futbol just seems really disorganized.
Soccer is a very organized sport, organization of the play on the field is the biggest part of strategy in the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
1. Why don't other players set screens for the guy with the ball?
Do you know how big a soccer field is? There is far too much space for that. You will see screens set in the box during a corner when everyone is in a more compact space. Anywhere else it is completely ineffective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
2. Why don't teams sends several players to the goal during a shot attempt? Most deflected shots would be sure goals if a couple guys where around the goal during the shot.
Because then you have no defense and the goalkeeper will disperse the ball to his forwards and have an advantage in numbers. You will see teams push more players forward late in the game when they are down but that is a very risk strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
3. Why is there no definitive stoppage of play at the end of a game? The refs can pretty much let the game go on after 90 minutes to let the team that bribed them score a winning/ tying goal
Because some games have lots of stoppages for injuries, goals, and subs while others have little to none. The standard for stoppage time is 30 seconds for every goal and sub along with time allotted for any extended stoppage in play for injuries.

Unless you are in Italy, teams are bribing refs. Stoppage time is accurate most of the time.

 
Old 06-17-2009, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,655 posts, read 5,218,912 times
Reputation: 817
Well the only reason why it's a "boring and unwatchable sport" is because you can't get your ignorant mind around it's beauty and excitement.. you've clearly never sat down and watched an entire game, as there's not action 100% of time time.
 
Old 06-21-2009, 03:36 AM
 
19,354 posts, read 17,468,922 times
Reputation: 10573
I'm not going to trash soccer but I have my own opinion and theory. I think many countries just have no other sports to support or participate in. The USA has baseball, hockey, football, basketball, college basketball, college football, auto racing, golf.
Imagine if we only had one or two sports to be involved in. They'd get pretty boring after awhile, IMO.
I personally agree that soccer is pretty boring, but then so is hockey and basketball and baseball alot of times, although the pitcher/ batter challenge is cool . Football is the only game that can keep my attention and get my adrenaline going.
 
Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 AM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,566,105 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'm not going to trash soccer but I have my own opinion and theory. I think many countries just have no other sports to support or participate in. The USA has baseball, hockey, football, basketball, college basketball, college football, auto racing, golf.
Imagine if we only had one or two sports to be involved in. They'd get pretty boring after awhile, IMO.
I personally agree that soccer is pretty boring, but then so is hockey and basketball and baseball alot of times, although the pitcher/ batter challenge is cool . Football is the only game that can keep my attention and get my adrenaline going.
Are you that thick? Many sports span many nations and soccer is still tops. Maybe you've seen all those pretty flags at the Olympics before...
 
Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
 
2 posts, read 843 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'm not going to trash soccer but I have my own opinion and theory. I think many countries just have no other sports to support or participate in. The USA has baseball, hockey, football, basketball, college basketball, college football, auto racing, golf.
Imagine if we only had one or two sports to be involved in. They'd get pretty boring after awhile, IMO.
I personally agree that soccer is pretty boring, but then so is hockey and basketball and baseball alot of times, although the pitcher/ batter challenge is cool . Football is the only game that can keep my attention and get my adrenaline going.
No sport except for soccer exists in any other country. Them foreigners all yearn and wish they had baseball, hockey, football, basketball, college basketball, college football, auto racing, golf, they would instantly abandon soccer if they got awesome exciting sports like we have. The problem is they can't afford plastic pads, or a wooden bat, or a basketball so they have to resort to soccer but would gladly replace it with superior american sports.

Soccer is boring because there is no action, no one is ever doing anything, no scoring and no statistics to analyze. You just sit there watching a bunch of no-names kicking a ball for no reason and no purpose and no athleticism or strategy.
 
Old 06-23-2009, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconnpat View Post
No sport except for soccer exists in any other country. Them foreigners all yearn and wish they had baseball, hockey, football, basketball, college basketball, college football, auto racing, golf, they would instantly abandon soccer if they got awesome exciting sports like we have. The problem is they can't afford plastic pads, or a wooden bat, or a basketball so they have to resort to soccer but would gladly replace it with superior american sports.

Soccer is boring because there is no action, no one is ever doing anything, no scoring and no statistics to analyze. You just sit there watching a bunch of no-names kicking a ball for no reason and no purpose and no athleticism or strategy.
This has to be a joke, because no serious sports fan would be so moronic as to truly believe this. The U.S. and Canada aren't the only countries with professional hockey leagues. There are professional baseball leagues in Asia and Latin America. Ever heard of Formula One or Le Mans racing?? Oh yeah, I guess "them foreigners" do have auto racing. How about basketball's Euroleague? Last I checked, they're playing good basketball in Greece, Italy, Spain, Russia and Argentina. And many of the top soccer nations in the world also have rugby, so it's not the only thing going in these countries. The Scots invented golf. The Euros usually beat us in the Ryder Cup.
 
Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Houston
441 posts, read 1,182,509 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
This has to be a joke, because no serious sports fan would be so moronic as to truly believe this. The U.S. and Canada aren't the only countries with professional hockey leagues. There are professional baseball leagues in Asia and Latin America. Ever heard of Formula One or Le Mans racing?? Oh yeah, I guess "them foreigners" do have auto racing. How about basketball's Euroleague? Last I checked, they're playing good basketball in Greece, Italy, Spain, Russia and Argentina. And many of the top soccer nations in the world also have rugby, so it's not the only thing going in these countries. The Scots invented golf. The Euros usually beat us in the Ryder Cup.

wooooosh
 
Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
 
Location: South FL
5,426 posts, read 6,394,097 times
Reputation: 3446
Soccer is more exciting than baseball.

They train 10x harder than any other sport, and the roar of the fans is much more exciting than in the nfl or any other american sport.

I don't watch Soccer that much but i used to be a hardcore fan of it during the late 90's and i couldn't believe the love the fans showed, and the chants as well.

the thing is Soccer isn't that well promoted in the states, that's why most people find it ''boring'', but go to africa or europe...soccer is above any sport in those countries.
 
Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM
 
11 posts, read 33,416 times
Reputation: 12
Every country on the planet plays soccer, that`s all that matters...and that`s what makes it an important way to compete.
Whether it`s not as popular in America is irrelevant given it`s global scale.
 
Old 06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,816,582 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Soccer is more exciting than baseball.

They train 10x harder than any other sport, and the roar of the fans is much more exciting than in the nfl or any other american sport.

I don't watch Soccer that much but i used to be a hardcore fan of it during the late 90's and i couldn't believe the love the fans showed, and the chants as well.

the thing is Soccer isn't that well promoted in the states, that's why most people find it ''boring'', but go to africa or europe...soccer is above any sport in those countries.
Can't say I agree with that, I as well use to be big on soccer a few years ago, somehow though for some reason I swayed away from it and got into the American sports.

No dobut though soccer is most popular in the world no matter how boring people find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top