U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times

Advertisements

american ethnocentrism.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:34 AM

326 posts, read 382,721 times
Well, soccer is not appreciated by U.S. fans for one and one reason only: Your TV set told you so. Games have no breaks, not enough time for commercial breaks, not enough gadgets to sell (though they are really trying to push useless equipment for kids); simply not enough money to be made. No reason for programmers to push the game as much as they push so-called "football" where foot touches the ball once every 15 minutes where they can stretch a 60 minute game to a 5.5 hours commercial festival. They even dare to call the finals as world championship as if anyone outside the country cares. Americans like to listen and obey what their TV set tell them. TV set tells them that a sport played by old fatsos on drugs who clearly look like they would rather be somewhere else is exciting, so they listen. It is that simple.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
Well, soccer is not appreciated by U.S. fans for one and one reason only: Your TV set told you so. Games have no breaks, not enough time for commercial breaks, not enough gadgets to sell (though they are really trying to push useless equipment for kids); simply not enough money to be made. No reason for programmers to push the game as much as they push so-called "football" where foot touches the ball once every 15 minutes where they can stretch a 60 minute game to a 5.5 hours commercial festival. They even dare to call the finals as world championship as if anyone outside the country cares. Americans like to listen and obey what their TV set tell them. TV set tells them that a sport played by old fatsos on drugs who clearly look like they would rather be somewhere else is exciting, so they listen. It is that simple.

Not 100% true....

For one thing, I'd rather watch a hockey game than a baseball game.... and how many times have you heard of a hockey player on roids or in trouble with the law?
Second, me personally, I'm just not attatched to REAL soccer at all. Never have been. And it's not because "the tv told me to do it" (the tv also tells me that I'll get more women if I buy 20" rims and have alot of jewlery, but I'm not gonna do that because I think it's stupid).
It all depends on perception. Most Americans aren't into pro soccer because (and I'm just guessing here) they just don't see it as fun or fast paced as other sports. Baseball and NASCAR I can't explain, but they're more recieved than soccer in this country. That's just the way it is.

And look, to all you TRUE soccer fans.... you just can't get EVERYBODY to love your sport..... and you're just gonna have to accept that. You shouldn't just expect everyone here to love it just because everyone else does. That's why I get so pissed off when people talk about having NFL teams overseas in England and Germany and Japan where they don't care anything about it. That's OUR sport and it shouldn't be forced down other people's throats..... and this goes for ANY sport.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 AM

61 posts, read 123,600 times
The OP asked why is soccer so popular around the world when he can't see the attraction. Well the sports you watch are of course, dictated by personal taste. If baseball is your game then great.. it bores me to tears but hey, that's just me. If soccer doesn't float your boat then don't watch. However.. if you're really interested in why the world loves it then here is an opinion from someone who has grown up in a soccer loving country and has now lived in the US for over 10 years. I actually have no bias in favor of soccer versus US sports and personally I love to watch soccer, NFL and hockey. I have watched and been to major league baseball and basketball games but they don't do it for me.

here is a list of thoughts on why soccer is so popular...

- Soccer is the worlds game. It brings nations together.
- A poor nation like Brazil can gain respect around the world through the achievements of its soccer team. We all love Brazil because of the style of football they have traditionally played and the fact their female fans are incredibly hot
- In soccer loving countries, soccer is usually king. The population is passionate about it to the extent that when the national team plays a big game (World Cup?) the country grinds to halt. flags are flown from cars and houses and we all come together as one
- the atmosphere at soccer stadiums in Europe far surpasses anything I have experienced in the US (been to all US sports including big rivalries and playoff games). I love going to games in the US but miss the chants, songs and good humored banter from back home.
- you live for your club team.. there is no alternative. You can't say oh well seasons over for team X now it's time to root for team Y in the sporting season that's about to start on ESPN.
- You travel all over the country en masse to support a team you live and breathe for. They represent who you are and where you are from and when you talk about how your team did, you say 'we' and not 'they'.
- tradition.. you look back at legendary players and famous events that have played a role in the historic fabric of your country. This is comparable to the legends of baseball and football in the US.
- The game itself is truly exciting when (if) you become accustomed to it and learn to appreciate its nuances. Goals may be few and far between but you are always urging you team to create the opportunity that could win the game. you can see the space on the flanks that could be exploited. You feel the guy on the bench has the pace to trouble the slow center back... one chance , one goal and you could take all 3 points... whilst remaining stoic at the back of course... it is a beautiful and exciting game if you give it a chance.

Like I said.. I love US sports too and so this isn't a soccer is better than XYZ reply.. just an insight into why we (as foreigners) love the game so much.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 PM

14 posts, read 47,687 times
there has to be a reason why soccer has been #1 sport in this world. so funny becuz by reading this thread i've found some americans cant accept the fact that noone else cares what sports are popular in their country.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,797,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neijan View Post
there has to be a reason why soccer has been #1 sport in this world. so funny becuz by reading this thread i've found some americans cant accept the fact that noone else cares what sports are popular in their country.
I thought this thread had finally died.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:27 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,816,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I thought this thread had finally died.
Lol I see this thread being bought back from the dead in a year, heck even longer.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,440 times
Why doesn't somebody lock this thread, it's stupid (by forum standards) and offers nothing to the specific conversation about soccer.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
The 2 most boring things I have ever watched in my entire life was a game of American Football and a Baseball game. Can anybody tell me why in American Football they have to stop for a rest every two minutes. And why do the big nancy boys need to wear all that armour to protect them. Can't they handle being hit. Too scared of getting hurt.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 PM

16,521 posts, read 20,964,213 times
Mattyj46 and waltlantz make good points here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or