Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,301,714 times

Advertisements

Baseball is the comfort food of sports. Viewed objectively, it doesn't really hold up. Americans like it just because it's American, as the poster above quoted.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,272,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Baseball is the comfort food of sports. Viewed objectively, it doesn't really hold up. Americans like it just because it's American, as the poster above quoted.

It's one of our top sports because it's ingrained in our history, that said it isnt popular based solely on that. Sorry but a walk off Home run is something most other sports could not touch as far as excitement goes. I also don't think 40,000 people pack Fenway in cold October just to be comforted by the Sox. Baseball is an amazing sport.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,960,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
We have heard first with Pele then some when Beckham came over that this was going to take soccer and make it popular in America and it never happened. I don't think it ever will either. We are so enthralled with the sports we have now that it would be hard to become a top tier sport. The only thing I can think of that came from obscurity and is now huge is Nascar, and I would say it's still mainly in the south.

The rest of the world loves soccer and we have our Football and baseball, thats just the way it's gonna be.

A big name player coming here is not what will make soccer huge in this country. That's media hype. Any fan of the sports knows that isnt what will make it big.

Homegrown talent and the success of the National Team is the key. It's happening and its happening quickly. We have lots of players leaving college early or graduating and getting offers in European and other international leagues to play.

MLS is growing and its growing fast. It's basically passed the NHL in a number of things and is quickly approaching the NBA. It wont be too long before MLS is number 3 in the US.

Owners are lining up to get expansion teams in MLS. Right now we have the likes of Albert Pujols, Steve Nash, Arthur Blank, the owners of Barcelona, and other big names vying for franchises with a 50 million dollar expansion fee price tag.

I dont know if the MLS will ever catch MLB or NFL. Honestly, I dont know if I want it to. But, MLS is hear to stay and I strongly recommend dropping your bias and giving it a shot. I know people say that, "I've watched a game and just didnt like it." But, did you really watch it? Did you learn all the rules? Did you go to the game with someone that truly knows the game and can explain it to you?

One of my best friends played football his whole life and hated soccer. I finally took him to a Wizards game and really explained the game to him. Not only is soccer is favorite sports now, he has season tickets. This was a guy that was the biggest soccer basher of them all.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,272,326 times
First I don't know where your getting MLS is catching up to the NHL or "quickly approaching" the NBA. I have looked and when you only get televised on ESPN and even then few people watch your not catching anyone. Te comparison that could be made would be attendance where MLS is comparable to the NBA or NHL, but to say it's on the same level doesn't seem correct.

Also, I watched it with my wife who played soccer and hates football.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,960,121 times
Quote:
First I don't know where your getting MLS is catching up to the NHL or "quickly approaching" the NBA. I have looked and when you only get televised on ESPN and even then few people watch your not catching anyone. Te comparison that could be made would be attendance where MLS is comparable to the NBA or NHL, but to say it's on the same level doesn't seem correct.

Also, I watched it with my wife who played soccer and hates football.

The MLS isnt only shown on ESPN. Games are shown on ESPN, ABC, FOX Soccer Channel, HDNet, Telefutura, GOLTV, and Galavision. On top of that all teams have contracts with a local network for games. MLS also allows you to view all games on their website.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,104,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I'm not so much arguing your personal taste as your post above regarding that action that takes place. That post shows that you have no understanding of the game.
And that post shows you either didn't read my other posts or you have no understanding of what I'm saying. I'm telling you what the uneducated (in terms of soccer) people tell me and/or probably find themselves thinking while they are watching the game. I know what's going on and I still don't think it's interesting to watch. Imagine if you don't know the strategy, the reason for shifts and sets, etc. Then it would be super-boring.

We get it. You love to watch soccer. You're going to have to live with the fact that a lot of people don't.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM

8,945 posts, read 17,184,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
your ignorant. soccer is such a great sport and it is the most popular sport in the world for a reason. the only reason soccer isn't popular in the US... i don't even know
Soccer is not as popular over here because we have more interesting things to entertain ourselves with.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,301,714 times
Quote:
It's one of our top sports because it's ingrained in our history, that said it isnt popular based solely on that. Sorry but a walk off Home run is something most other sports could not touch as far as excitement goes. I also don't think 40,000 people pack Fenway in cold October just to be comforted by the Sox. Baseball is an amazing sport.
A walk-off homerun is the duel between two people with a bunch of guys standing on the field and a bunch more sitting on the bench.

If you like baseball on its alleged merits, do you also like cricket? I'm guessing not, because it isn't American.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 AM

30 posts, read 55,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Soccer is not as popular over here because we have more interesting things to entertain ourselves with.
true, they have nothing but soccer I pity them and their lives I'd kill myself I only had soccer. America rules!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,486,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
MLS is growing and its growing fast. It's basically passed the NHL in a number of things and is quickly approaching the NBA. It wont be too long before MLS is number 3 in the US.
I really believe this point involves some wishful thinking. Consider NFL Europe. It's true that there are a lot of NFL fans in Europe, particularly the UK. Still, the league failed, and if you ask European fans of the NFL why they didn't support NFL Europe, they'll point to the fact that the quality of play was so inferior to the NFL. And in the global age of television, they don't have to settle for an inferior product when they can get the best on television (some NFL games are broadcast on Sky Sports in the UK).

With that in mind, let's turn back to soccer......Why should American soccer fans flock to MLS when there are cable networks that make available matches from the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga? The best American soccer players will always go to the European leagues, because that's where the money is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer