U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Sorry but if you read my link you will see one attendance is down MLS in 2008. On top of that ESPN is going to start a soccer network when the MLS ratings drew an average of 250,000 viewers? Why start a new network to something you can draw viewership in?

Link

Yes, it was. However, what the average does not say is that both KC and SJ played in temporary venues with a max seating volume of 10,000 seats. If they had played in a normal venue, the average would of increased.

As I said in my previous post, ratings dont show jack. How can you go by ratings that dont count for people watching the games online and stuff recorded on DVRs. I dont watch anything live. I record everything and either start watching it late or watch it later. The ratings system is out of date and the networks know that.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
So the one thing that proves that the NFL, NBA and MLB draw more attention doesn't work. Yup I mean I dont know anyone who watches sports on TV anymore. I guess everyone will record the Super Bowl, and watch the World series on the internet. Come on

Honestly, I will probably record the Super Bowl and start watching it late so I can fast forward through all the crap.

I know lots of people that only watch stuff on the internet now. You realize that you can hook your PC up to your flatscreen now, right? Many people I know dont even have cable service anymore because of that. They just use the internet to watch everything.

Also, TV ratings are hardly the only gauge of what is more popular.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Nice approach, front-runner. You assess MLS based on a moment in time. It was just two decades ago that Spain and Italy laughed at the English leagues. Look how things have changed. MLS is not static and thus it will not always be snubbed by you Arsenal and Man U "fans" from the U.S.

Comparing soccer here to gridiron there is even dumber. Soccer is one of the biggest sports here by participation. Gridiron in Europe? Hardly. Not even close.
England moved back to the top of the leagues with the formation of the Premiership, but he foundation was already there. The U.S. is starting basically from scratch.

Soccer participation levels in the U.S. fall off dramatically as kids get into their teen years. I'm talking about fan interest.

It'll take more than soccer-only stadiums and more franchises to boost MLS' profile internationally. They need to get the calendar in line with the other leagues, put a relegation system in place and have success in some regional club competition such as the Copa Libertadores. The heck with Europe -- the best MLS side couldn't hang with Boca Juniors as it is now. But, hey, continue to delude yourselves into thinking that MLS will slide into third position in the American sports landscape. Maybe it will happen, but it won't be in our lifetimes. It may not even happen in my grandchildren's lifetime.

That said, there's no reason why an American soccer fan can't support both EPL and MLS. And I support Everton, by the way. Choosing Man U or Arsenal is like a Brit coming here and deciding to root for the Yanks or Sawks.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,091,333 times
If Indianapolis had an MLS team, I would go to the games for at least one season.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,533,905 times
It's a part of many countries' national pastime. In Europe it is huge. I don't understand the appeal of it either but if you grew up watching soccer your whole life I'd imagine it would be ingrained into your psyche.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 PM

30 posts, read 45,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It's a part of many countries' national pastime. In Europe it is huge. I don't understand the appeal of it either but if you grew up watching soccer your whole life I'd imagine it would be ingrained into your psyche.
why don't they understand the appeal of football when its so obvious?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,670,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Honestly, I will probably record the Super Bowl and start watching it late so I can fast forward through all the crap.

I know lots of people that only watch stuff on the internet now. You realize that you can hook your PC up to your flatscreen now, right? Many people I know dont even have cable service anymore because of that. They just use the internet to watch everything.

Also, TV ratings are hardly the only gauge of what is more popular.
Then you are in the minority. In fact since 2005 the Super Bowls TV ratings have gone up every year, to where 65% of households watch the game on a TV live.

Also as the article points out I doubt very much the the NBA or NHL is giving out free tickets to see games. You can count the freebies but dont see how no paying to go to a game would help a league

Link

Old 01-13-2009, 01:29 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,533,905 times
Soccer requires a lot of skill as well as stamina. It may be boring (to me), but it takes loads of skill to manipulate that ball accurately.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
. But, hey, continue to delude yourselves into thinking that MLS will slide into third position in the American sports landscape. Maybe it will happen, but it won't be in our lifetimes. It may not even happen in my grandchildren's lifetime..
I dont think you realize how close it is to that point. You apparently have no idea how fast MLS is growing in pretty much every single way. 5 years max, if that. Especially, with how trashy the NBA (ex. crab dribble) is getting and the fact the European leagues are probably going to start wooing away NBA stars to their leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
That said, there's no reason why an American soccer fan can't support both EPL and MLS. And I support Everton, by the way. Choosing Man U or Arsenal is like a Brit coming here and deciding to root for the Yanks or Sawks.

Good for you. I am an Evertonian as well.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Then you are in the minority. In fact since 2005 the Super Bowls TV ratings have gone up every year, to where 65% of households watch the game on a TV live.

Also as the article points out I doubt very much the the NBA or NHL is giving out free tickets to see games. You can count the freebies but dont see how no paying to go to a game would help a league

Link

As someone who has worked in professional sports before, I can tell you that ALL sports teams give away tickets. They ALL inflate their attendance averages. I dont care if you are the Yankees, Red Wings, Lakers or any other team. They all do it. It's something thats happened in pro sports forever and will continue to happen. Hell, I know that the Chiefs gave away tens of thousands of tickets this season alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or