U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,592,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I like football but the fact that there is only 16-18 minutes of gameplay in a 3 hour and 15 minute period shows that it is in no way more exciting than soccer. Maybe if you are a fan of commercial breaks.
You obviously don't follow that much football. There is 60 minutes of play, evenly divided into four quarters.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:52 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,765,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You obviously don't follow that much football. There is 60 minutes of play, evenly divided into four quarters.

I didnt say 60 minutes of clock. There isnt 60 minutes of play in an NFL game. Studies have shown that only 16-18 minutes of each game is spent with the BALL IN PLAY with the average play lasting 6 seconds.

Last year, the Super Bowl had the most time with the ball in play with 17 minutes and 42 seconds. There was some games with play time as low as 14 minutes.

I will try to find the link that shows all this. But, if you follow football you really dont need much proof to realize that a majority of the 60 minute clock is spent with players standing around.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Exactly.

I cant stand when their are soccer fans in the US that refuse to support MLS. They refuse to support it because it isnt the quality of European leagues.

Guess what?

It takes support and revenue to get there. The league may not be the quality of the EPL or La Liga but it wont get there if the soccer fans in the US arent buying tickets and giving it support.

If you are a real soccer fan, you should want the MLS to become like the quality of those leagues. It can happen but you cant not give the support and have those expectations.
It's sad that so few people acknowledge this. Then again, they don't want to invest time and emotion in the first place. It's why they jump on the big bandwagons.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The heck with Europe -- the best MLS side couldn't hang with Boca Juniors as it is now.
Yes, and in that sense, other leagues of the Americas are also underrated. Most MLS fans would be overjoyed to see participation in Copa Libertadores. We see often in the Club World Cup how great clubs down there hold up against European competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Choosing Man U or Arsenal is like a Brit coming here and deciding to root for the Yanks or Sawks.
Yes, that's why I derided such attitudes.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,292,502 times
Football, as I've heard mentioned, is more like preparation for war than a sport. I don't like it. I find it very boring. Seems to be a lot of hyped up men standing around looking mad. However, it is interesting when I watch it with friends. But that's because they explain every single thing that goes on. This is not much fun for them.

Soccer is fun. I like soccer. People might like it more too, if someone explained what the heck is going on. Not only does it require lightening fast hand-eye coordination you have to be in extremely good shape aerobically speaking. It requires finesse & athleticism, not brute strength.

Baseball: I'm tired of all the shenanigans - spitting a lot, fighting, hitting each other with the baseball. Where's Nolan Ryan? Someone needs to clone him. If there were more players like him, it would be a better game.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 PM

3,851 posts, read 3,985,582 times
Default Soccer is the only sport that is bigger than sport

Does that make sense?

I grew up playing and watching all US sports and didn't think about soccer until about 1995. Now it is my #1 (playing and watching) ahead of basketball, then football, then baseball(zzz).

But for me, following American sports is really a very idle pass-time. I feel the same as I did when I was 10 years old. On dates with women I won't talk American sports because it won't impress, they'll think I'm immature without much upstairs.

Following world soccer (from club to international) feels like a real adult activity. Because you can tie it in to many adult interests: travel, politics, culture, other countries, etc. For example -most Mexican professionals play in Mexico because the pay is very good... hmm, so they won't make more in Europe? not usually... what's up with Mexico that they can pay soccer players top $ but can't support a huge portion of their population?

That kind of thing, world soccer always has you thinking about something on the perifery of sports.

Or, what was the best thing to happen to Iraq this decade? (something both Sunnis and Shiites enjoyed)... the fact that Iraq won the Asian Cup two years ago!

Or, how come nations very new to soccer have chosen 'it' (ie. Japan, Korea, Australia, all Arab nations), rather than other sport options?

BTW, watching soccer is an acquired taste (like spicy food, sushi, good booze, vegetables)... watching American football is like McDonalds, every kid is born loving it until they learn to like something better.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:14 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,765,870 times
If you havent read it, I strongly recommend reading the book, "How Soccer Explains the World" by Franklin Foer. It sounds like you would appreciate it.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,679,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Does that make sense?

I grew up playing and watching all US sports and didn't think about soccer until about 1995. Now it is my #1 (playing and watching) ahead of basketball, then football, then baseball(zzz).

But for me, following American sports is really a very idle pass-time. I feel the same as I did when I was 10 years old. On dates with women I won't talk American sports because it won't impress, they'll think I'm immature without much upstairs.

Following world soccer (from club to international) feels like a real adult activity. Because you can tie it in to many adult interests: travel, politics, culture, other countries, etc. For example -most Mexican professionals play in Mexico because the pay is very good... hmm, so they won't make more in Europe? not usually... what's up with Mexico that they can pay soccer players top $ but can't support a huge portion of their population?

That kind of thing, world soccer always has you thinking about something on the perifery of sports.

Or, what was the best thing to happen to Iraq this decade? (something both Sunnis and Shiites enjoyed)... the fact that Iraq won the Asian Cup two years ago!

Or, how come nations very new to soccer have chosen 'it' (ie. Japan, Korea, Australia, all Arab nations), rather than other sport options?

BTW, watching soccer is an acquired taste (like spicy food, sushi, good booze, vegetables)... watching American football is like McDonalds, every kid is born loving it until they learn to like something better.
This post to me is the best reason why I hate soccer, the arrogance of their fans. Football fans seem to be Blue collar drink some beer get your hands dirty, while soccer fans are the type to call some one when the need to change their tire. I mean to say it's immature to talk American sports is laughable, and pretty self absorbed as well.

I would also guess that everyone apparently likes the McDonalds taste of football in this country as thats why alot of high school football games out draw MLS games.

Also if you think Soccer has been chosen as Baseball in Japan you need to do some research.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,862,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
Yes all NFL players are faster than soccer players because the best athletes in the world come to the NFL. This is because football has a much larger talent pool than soccer, no matter where in the world a great athlete is born they don't want to become a NFL player, not a low-paid soccer player. Plus add to the fact that all the best American athletes go into the NFL and Americans are bigger, faster, stronger than non-Americans and even the fastest and most athletic soccer player couldn't compete with any NFL player in terms of speed and athetlic ability. All soccer players can do is maybe jog slightly longer.
I will nominate that post as the most ignorant/lame sports post for CD 2009. I just pray this guy/gal isn't a CFB fan.

Whats up with these soccer threads bringing out all of the trolls?

Michael Jordan is an extremely talented athlete, didn't play in the NFL.
Phelps, no not him either, Bolt? No NFL for him. I could on, but I digress.

"no matter where in the world a great athlete is born they don't want to become a NFL player, not a low-paid soccer player"

I'm assuming you threw in that "don't" by accident. Christiano Ronaldo makes 12 Million a year, I guess thats low paying. The real money is in Baseball, F1, or NASCRAP, not Football, or Futbol.

The rest of the stuff just sounds like blatant nationalism. Bigger, stronger, etc etc. Yeah the US wins every gold medal every time in the olympics and the US wins every single strong man competition.... right? we are the biggest, strongest, fastest, smartest....right guys?

Soccer is the only true WORLD WIDE sport.

There is only one World Cup for a reason.

Name another sport that pits 208 different COUNTRIES in a true tournament competition that lasts for 2 years resulting in ONE true world champion?

Its the only ball sport where the best of the best in the entire world play to win a tournament.

This is why it is the most watched sport in the world. Because the whole world watches it.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-13-2009 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
This post to me is the best reason why I hate soccer, the arrogance of their fans. Football fans seem to be Blue collar drink some beer get your hands dirty, while soccer fans are the type to call some one when the need to change their tire. I mean to say it's immature to talk American sports is laughable, and pretty self absorbed as well.

I would also guess that everyone apparently likes the McDonalds taste of football in this country as thats why alot of high school football games out draw MLS games.

Also if you think Soccer has been chosen as Baseball in Japan you need to do some research.
That's just a lot of soccer fans in the U.S. In many countries, they're as regular as NFL fans here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or