Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 08:06 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,032 times

Advertisements

Im sorry but for you to say soccer chanting, singing or whatever and nothing comes close is ridiculous. Thats a matter of OPINION, because clearly there is just as much at a football game. The fans shaking the stadium hey thats nice and all call me when it shows up on the richter scale as a small earthquake

Quote:
With national rankings at stake and a national audience watching on ESPN, LSU quarterback Tommy Hodson threw a touchdown pass to tailback Eddie Fuller on fourth down with 1:47 remaining in the game. The eruption of the crowd registered as an earthquake on the seismograph located in LSU’s Howe-Russell Geoscience Complex.
Also, they measured the sound at Quest field, where the Seahawks play.

Quote:
The Decibel level at Qwest Field is a whopping 112 dB, only 18 dB below the roar of a Boeing 747.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Qwest is louder for soccer these days.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:16 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Im sorry but for you to say soccer chanting, singing or whatever and nothing comes close is ridiculous. Thats a matter of OPINION, because clearly there is just as much at a football game. The fans shaking the stadium hey thats nice and all call me when it shows up on the richter scale as a small earthquake

Yeh youre absolutely right, nothing beats the atmosphere at American Football games

Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yeh youre absolutely right, nothing beats the atmosphere at American Football games

The comment was there is no atmosphere at football or baseball games. Read before you post lease.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:59 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
OK point taken. I got confused of your use of Football vs my use of Football for a second when I posted. I saw no mention baseball after several reads though :|

Old 04-16-2009, 09:12 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,996 times
Quote:
I understand now, I think it would benefit if we knew the rules. It just sucks that they don't show rugby here so you never get the chance to watch it.
You must look for Setanta Sports! I couldn't live without it. I was born and raised on gridiron football, but I've come to love rugby union just as much. And Setanta will give you your rugby fix. The programming is probably about 60% soccer, but the majority of their other programming consists of rugby from all around the world. Guinness Premiership, Magners League, Super 14, Heineken Cup, Six Nations, Tri-Nations, even some coverage of the USA Eagles.

I'm not going to weigh in on whether gridiron or soccer is better. Of the world's six major football codes, I like four of them, and my preference is purely subjective. As this thread has shown, the arguments never end.

I just want to add a thought to the discussion about hits in rugby vs. hits in American football. People outside North America who don't follow gridiron tend to think the players are pansies for wearing all the padding. But there is a fundamental difference in how players hit in gridiron, as opposed to rugby. In rugby, you have to wrap a player up below the shoulders, and you're responsible for making sure he gets safely to the ground. You also can't tackle a player who's off his feet (which is why you see so many players leaping to catch kicks -- they're trying to draw a penalty against anyone on the opposing team who leaps with them). Dangerous tackles of any kind are prohibited, and they can result in anything from a penalty goal attempt to a sin-binning to ejection from the match. Meanwhile, in football, you can launch your body like a missile into the ball carrier if you want to. As long as you don't horse-collar someone or grab the face mask, you can do pretty much whatever you want to bring a player down.

This is not to take ANYTHING away from the toughness of rugby players. Again, I love rugby union. But the violence is much more controlled than it is in American football. When football started to diverge away from rugby in the early days, football began to allow the kind of violent hits that were never permitted in rugby. As a result, players were literally dying on football fields -- and it got so bad that Teddy Roosevelt threatened to ban gridiron altogether unless some measures were taken to protect player safety. As a result, mass plays like the flying wedge began to be banned, and players started wearing protective gear. Being wrapped up in pads and helmets probably did make players feel more invincible, and it probably gave them the freedom to start hitting even harder. It's a vicious cycle -- pads protect players from hard hits, but they allow for even harder hits. But the bottom line was that player mortality rates improved, and the game survived.

Here's a good example of the difference between the two games. In the Six Nations tournament this year, an Italian player squared his shoulders, stuck out his elbow, charged toward an Irish ball carrier -- I think it was Rob Kearney -- and clotheslined him. The Italian guy's forearm landed right across Kearney's throat, and Kearney got knocked off his feet and went crashing to the ground. The Italian player immediately got a yellow card, and after the match, the IRB discussed whether he deserved a suspension.

In American football, that same play would make the highlight reels. It would draw no penalty, and everyone would be gushing over what a wonderfully vicious hit it was.

As it's often said: Rugby is a contact sport, but football is a collision sport.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
No I don't feel forced to pick one but my mind and taste did anyway. Given the choice between the two, I'd watch union over league. In fact, I'd probably turn league off and find something else to do. I'd watch Gaelic over Aussie rules in a heartbeat. I just prefer those over their compatriot sports. When I say I feel one is superior, I mean to say that to my taste, one is superior. I don't feel at all compelled to think one could not like the other more.
I'm pretty much the same way. I don't feel a need to "pick" one code of football over another ... there just happen to be ones that don't do much for me. I'd watch union over league, too, and in fact, I usually *do* turn the TV off and find something else to do when a league game comes on Setanta. I can assess league on its own merits, but unfortunately, it always suffers in comparison with the two sports I love most: It lacks the forward passes that make gridiron football so exciting, and it lacks the rucks, mauls, lineouts, and contested scrums that give union so much flavor and complexity. There's nothing wrong with league -- it's a fine sport that has lots of dedicated fans -- but it's just not my thing.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,120 times
Quote:

I have been to a late December Packer/Viking game at Lambeau with the playoffs on the line, as well as a Liverpool/Everton match at Anfield and they both had an unreal atmosphere. Very different, but equally as exciting and loud. But I love both sports, so I was not trying to rate each event against the other. If you like the NFL and can't stand soccer, then DON'T WATCH IT! We won't miss you a bit. And like wise for the "American" football haters. You guys know its ok to like both.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
If you like the NFL and can't stand soccer, then DON'T WATCH IT! We won't miss you a bit. And like wise for the "American" football haters. You guys know its ok to like both.

This is what I have been trying to say. I don't understand why you can't say I like football but soccer takes skills and stamina to play.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
I have been to a late December Packer/Viking game at Lambeau with the playoffs on the line, as well as a Liverpool/Everton match at Anfield and they both had an unreal atmosphere.

Being a Packers and an Everton fan I got to admit I am jealous that you have been able to attend those games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer