Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
appears to spectators as aimless trotting? why would someone aimlessly trot and why would hundreds of millions people watch them aimlessly trot?
Dude. Clearly many people find it fascinating. Maybe they like watching fish swim around in a bowl, too. Not judging. Just saying I don't find it interesting. I personally need more to hold my attention. I have watched many boring football games. But I have never watched an interesting soccer game (and I have watched a lot of soccer).

Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree with you about the athletic ability of soccer players. I don't think anyone can really argue that seriously.

90 minutes of constant action? Most of the time, the ball just goes from one guy to another to another, one big kick down the field, stand there, stand there, everyone run this way...wait, for 10 seconds, there's a play at the goal! Oh, no, never mind...well, in another 5 minutes, they may break into the penalty box again without it going out of bounds and something might happen...

I think it's easier to see the consequences and the obvious outcomes of each football play. Every time the quarterback throws the ball is exciting for me...will there be a catch? A first down? An interception? A fake?

Highly defensive football games with low scores can also be boring. But I'll take watching that over watching a soccer game any day.

You have no understanding of the game whatsoever.

There is almost always constant action in a soccer match. You have 22 men always moving and as I said before, the average player runs 6-8 miles a game.

There is always something going on.

The mistake most people make when watching soccer is that they only watch the ball and they person that has it. If you do that, you are missing the runs and action that is taking place by the other 21 players on the field. Some of the best action takes place away from the ball.

I like football but the fact that there is only 16-18 minutes of gameplay in a 3 hour and 15 minute period shows that it is in no way more exciting than soccer. Maybe if you are a fan of commercial breaks.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
The average soccer player is what, 5'10 170lb? The average NFL player if 6'0 and 250lb. There is no comparison, NFL players would easily be great soccer players because of their greater size. What's a sissy soccer player going to do against the awesome power of Brian Urlacher or Larry Allen. American are simply bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic.
Run around him... wrap tackles are against the rules in soccer remember?? As is pushing, shoving, tripping, etc, etc. All that size is useless. I'm sure most all NFL players are faster in the 40 than just about all top tier soccer players. But what about after they've had to accelerate and stop and start continuously for 90 minutes?

Good Lord..I'm defending soccer...what's this world coming to???

Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You have no understanding of the game whatsoever.

I have a great deal of understanding of the game. Does not make it more interesting. I don't see how you can argue with someone about their personal taste.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have a great deal of understanding of the game. Does not make it more interesting. I don't see how you can argue with someone about their personal taste.

I'm not so much arguing your personal taste as your post above regarding that action that takes place. That post shows that you have no understanding of the game.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:30 PM

30 posts, read 56,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Run around him... wrap tackles are against the rules in soccer remember?? As is pushing, shoving, tripping, etc, etc. All that size is useless. I'm sure most all NFL players are faster in the 40 than just about all top tier soccer players. But what about after they've had to accelerate and stop and start continuously for 90 minutes?

Good Lord..I'm defending soccer...what's this world coming to???
Yes all NFL players are faster than soccer players because the best athletes in the world come to the NFL. This is because football has a much larger talent pool than soccer, no matter where in the world a great athlete is born they don't want to become a NFL player, not a low-paid soccer player. Plus add to the fact that all the best American athletes go into the NFL and Americans are bigger, faster, stronger than non-Americans and even the fastest and most athletic soccer player couldn't compete with any NFL player in terms of speed and athetlic ability. All soccer players can do is maybe jog slightly longer.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Plus add to the fact that all the best American athletes go into the NFL and Americans are bigger, faster, stronger than non-Americans and even the fastest and most athletic soccer player couldn't compete with any NFL player in terms of speed and athetlic ability.
You're entering Hitler territory.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Yes all NFL players are faster than soccer players because the best athletes in the world come to the NFL. This is because football has a much larger talent pool than soccer, no matter where in the world a great athlete is born they don't want to become a NFL player, not a low-paid soccer player. Plus add to the fact that all the best American athletes go into the NFL and Americans are bigger, faster, stronger than non-Americans and even the fastest and most athletic soccer player couldn't compete with any NFL player in terms of speed and athetlic ability. All soccer players can do is maybe jog slightly longer.

Wow, you have issues dude. Seriously. You're delusional.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:34 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,737 times
Quote:
As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched TV sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, girly, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas and do they actually get excited by such a boring sport...is it because foreigners like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?
your ignorant. soccer is such a great sport and it is the most popular sport in the world for a reason. the only reason soccer isn't popular in the US... i don't even know

Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
First let me say I hate soccer as well, I have honestly tried to watch some but just never took.

As far as why Americans don't like it I would say because it isn't ours. Baseball, Football, Basketball, all Born in this country. Hockey was created from our neighbors to the north and is some what embraced.

I could say something about baseball but I think the quote from my favorite movie, Field of Dreams, and James Earl Jones say it best

Quote:
The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past
Football I would say is something that appealed to the hard working blue collar guys. Physical and you have to be tough to play it. The love for the game carried on to the next generation and here we are.

We have heard first with Pele then some when Beckham came over that this was going to take soccer and make it popular in America and it never happened. I don't think it ever will either. We are so enthralled with the sports we have now that it would be hard to become a top tier sport. The only thing I can think of that came from obscurity and is now huge is Nascar, and I would say it's still mainly in the south.

The rest of the world loves soccer and we have our Football and baseball, thats just the way it's gonna be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer