Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
That's just a lot of soccer fans in the U.S. In many countries, they're as regular as NFL fans here.

I accept that, you want to watch soccer go ahead. I dont like it but if you do go ahead. I do have a problem with stating if you talk American sports you are "immature without much upstairs." or that football is "like McDonalds, every kid is born loving it until they learn to like something better". To me that screams pretentious

Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM

30 posts, read 56,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
This post to me is the best reason why I hate soccer, the arrogance of their fans. Football fans seem to be Blue collar drink some beer get your hands dirty, while soccer fans are the type to call some one when the need to change their tire. I mean to say it's immature to talk American sports is laughable, and pretty self absorbed as well.

I would also guess that everyone apparently likes the McDonalds taste of football in this country as thats why alot of high school football games out draw MLS games.

Also if you think Soccer has been chosen as Baseball in Japan you need to do some research.
Yes, I agree with you. Soccer fans veneterate snobbery, they are worse than beer and wine snobs who worship soccer like its some imported slab of 50 euro per kilogram cheese from southern italy, and insult american sports as being corny, contrived and not beautiful like their elegant, sophisticated worldy sport. These soccer fans lack any working class toughness, they live in manhattan (or even worse greenwich *snicker*) as animal hotel managers and art-nouveau architests, who like soccer beceaus they think europe is so hip and they never had to lift anything more than a sald fork so they don't like the machoness of football and baseball.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM

30 posts, read 56,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I will nominate that post as the most ignorant/lame sports post for CD 2009. I just pray this guy/gal isn't a CFB fan.

Whats up with these soccer threads bringing out all of the trolls?

Michael Jordan is an extremely talented athlete, didn't play in the NFL.
Phelps, no not him either, Bolt? No NFL for him. I could on, but I digress.

"no matter where in the world a great athlete is born they don't want to become a NFL player, not a low-paid soccer player"

I'm assuming you threw in that "don't" by accident. Christiano Ronaldo makes 12 Million a year, I guess thats low paying. The real money is in Baseball, F1, or NASCRAP, not Football, or Futbol.

The rest of the stuff just sounds like blatant nationalism. Bigger, stronger, etc etc. Yeah the US wins every gold medal every time in the olympics and the US wins every single strong man competition.... right? we are the biggest, strongest, fastest, smartest....right guys?

Soccer is the only true WORLD WIDE sport.

There is only one World Cup for a reason.

Name another sport that pits 208 different COUNTRIES in a true tournament competition that lasts for 2 years resulting in ONE true world champion?

Its the only ball sport where the best of the best in the entire world play to win a tournament.

This is why it is the most watched sport in the world. Because the whole world watches it.
NFL offered Usain Bolt a contract but he didn't want to because he doesn't want to get hit even though if you google it you'll find he does want to play for a football team called Real Madrid (must be a NFL europe team), it takes a certain kind of super tough man to play in the NFL and foreigners are simply too soft. That's why there are no foreigners in the NFL except at the most unathletic, untough, uncool position, the kicker. No foreigner has what it takes to be a off. lineman or quarterback or linebacker.

And soccer isn't the most watched sport because the whole world watches it, they dream of getting better sports and they don't actually like soccer if you've every seen someone watching soccer in other countries they are soooooooo bored, they simply have nothing else its the only sport they can afford to watch, watching NFL costs big money soccer is cheap you just need a ball and a grass field its so third world. Any NFL team would dominate any soccer team in a world cup soccer game by sheer size and superior athletic ability. Brian Urlacher alone would dominate soccer, he'd just pound everyone down and kick a ball from half field into the net. The only reason other countries watch world cup soccer is because its the only sport america doesn't dominate, we win at all sports and other countries have no pride in anything but soccer because its all they can win (because we don't care about soccer, if we cared we'd dominate soccer just like everything else). THis is simple really, they only like soccer because they have no other sport but as soon as another sport is introduced they move away from soccer and world cup allows non-american countries to feel as if they have some relevance in sports or in general because america dominates all global affairs and all sports.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
This has got to be a joke. I mean REALLY??
Holy crap this is great. You need to work on your sarcasm.... or your education, one or the other, you are too new here for me to know the difference, I'm leaning toward education though.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-13-2009 at 08:29 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I accept that, you want to watch soccer go ahead. I dont like it but if you do go ahead. I do have a problem with stating if you talk American sports you are "immature without much upstairs." or that football is "like McDonalds, every kid is born loving it until they learn to like something better". To me that screams pretentious
Very few people think that. Many soccer fans watch other sports as well. Those of us who follow MLS look down on the Euro-poseurs just as much as you do. They're in it less for sport and more for the image you hate.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:47 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
This has got to be a joke. I mean REALLY??
Holy crap this is great. You need to work on your sarcasm.... or your education, one or the other, you are too new here for me to know the difference, I'm leaning toward education though.
IF he worked on being funny, that would work a little better

Old 01-14-2009, 07:39 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
NFL offered Usain Bolt a contract but he didn't want to because he doesn't want to get hit even though if you google it you'll find he does want to play for a football team called Real Madrid (must be a NFL europe team)...
Actually Usain Bolt has merely been training with Real Madrid. Being from Jamaica, soccer is his first sport. He knows he has no chance of playing soccer for Madrid, or anywhere at that level. And American football probably just doesn't mean much to him.

But I'll meet you half way on one of your other comments. The US national soccer team (and US players in general), will get better as young athletes who normally choose basketball or football, start choosing soccer instead sometimes. The elite American athlete still generally plays basketball or football. In the future, the likes of Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Adrian Peterson, Charles Woodson, etc. etc. may start playing soccer, and maybe that's when the US will become a real power in international soccer. [not those guys specifically, guys like them]

Old 01-14-2009, 07:53 AM

416 posts, read 712,721 times
The OP is an idiot who has never watched a good soccer game.

That's all I have to say about this.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,908 times
i cannot grasp how you think watching baseball or even football is more exciting then watching soccer. soccer has way more action, heart, and skill involved

i dont get baseball. a guy hits a ball with a stick and runs the same route everytime. whoopy

football is way better, i even watch it sometime. but the time between plays usually makes me change the channel

Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
Yes, I agree with you. Soccer fans veneterate snobbery, they are worse than beer and wine snobs who worship soccer like its some imported slab of 50 euro per kilogram cheese from southern italy, and insult american sports as being corny, contrived and not beautiful like their elegant, sophisticated worldy sport. These soccer fans lack any working class toughness, they live in manhattan (or even worse greenwich *snicker*) as animal hotel managers and art-nouveau architests, who like soccer beceaus they think europe is so hip and they never had to lift anything more than a sald fork so they don't like the machoness of football and baseball.
you sound like quite the snob yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer