Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 08:10 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneshintzy View Post
I suggest you go to a Rangers-Celtic or Boca-River game.

Or, um....Finn Harps-Derry City.
Shels v Bohs

Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
This is the DUMBEST argument anyone can make. You don't have to attend a school to be a true fan. I pay the same if not MORE for my tickets to Texas games. I'm pretty sure the amount I spend on UT merchandise pays for a good chunk of the coaches salary. Dumb argument you have.
No, it's really not.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, it's really not.

Yes, it really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Well, geez, it was Purdue-Indiana! Can it be much of a rivalry when both teams suck?

No kidding if your going to say a rivalry game pick one of the bigger one to talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
College football is cute, but the system is totaly flawed. A computer generated national championship game is an absolute joke.....
As you said the system sucks, about 90% of college football fans agree with you there. However, the game itself is exciting and fun to watch.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:22 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, it's really not.

I have to agree with Packersnut on this one. You can be just as big of a fan of a college team as someone that is an alumni. I didnt go to KU but I am a hardcore KU fan because I grew up following their athletic teams and they are the closest major college to where I live. I follow and attend their events more than most of the alumni that I know.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I have to agree with Packersnut on this one. You can be just as big of a fan of a college team as someone that is an alumni. I didnt go to KU but I am a hardcore KU fan because I grew up following their athletic teams and they are the closest major college to where I live. I follow and attend their events more than most of the alumni that I know.

Exactly, let’s face it there are people who go to KU and Texas games that attend the university and have little to no interest in the game. You have folks who LOVE their team but did not attend that college. Does that make them less of a fan than the previous mentioned student? No it does not, I'm sure some of the Oklahoma fans on here did not go to OU but I can say they are some of the most loyal and fierce fans when you fight with them. They are wrong most of the time but hey they try

Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Exactly, let’s face it there are people who go to KU and Texas games that attend the university and have little to no interest in the game. You have folks who LOVE their team but did not attend that college. Does that make them less of a fan than the previous mentioned student? No it does not, I'm sure some of the Oklahoma fans on here did not go to OU but I can say they are some of the most loyal and fierce fans when you fight with them. They are wrong most of the time but hey they try
I'll back you up on this, too. I'm a lifelong Notre Dame fan. I came from a Catholic family that loved football, so Notre Dame was a natural fit for us. Plus, I grew up about 40 miles from campus. I worked on campus for five years, but I never went to school there. And I'm still a big supporter. I don't really give a second thought to the sports teams at my alma mater.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched TV sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, girly, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas and do they actually get excited by such a boring sport...is it because foreigners like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?
The bottom line is that people have variety in tastes on entertainment, fun, physical activity, etc. The perception you give with the "patriotic american" part like if we like another sport that what you expect is not being patriotic. Well, I would say open minded Americans realize we are a melting pot with all kinds in tastes from food to sports.
I consider myself patriotic as any one. Re-blooded? What does that mean? I am curios on that one.

As far as other sports, I love watching football also, baseball not so much, only during the playoffs and world series. Basketball, I prefer to go and see it rather than on TV.

However, I will try to explained why soccer is fun to some of us. In general we Americans like to have a lot of scoring going on. Football, why seven points for a touchdown? Why not just 2 and one for a field goal? Basketball, look at all the points scored in a game. Baseball is different in the scoring system. I believe that is why baseball may have more fans than the other sports, I may be wrong. In baseball is more difficult to score a run. The emotion and excitement is there waiting for that run that when it happens, it is like a rush. I can see that.

Soccer? The same way. Scoring is difficult. You are waiting that score to happen and along the way are so many amazing saves by the goal keeper, some amazing close goal shots, some amazing individual as a skilled player may go past so many defenders just a running back does on the field toward the goal line.

Girly, that is where you are wrong. I do not know if you have ever played in cometitive soccer leagues. I have and it is not fun having so many kicks, and when you are among so many players trying to get the ball from you and getting elbowed, falling down with others on head shots, slides burnts, peeled skin, etc. I was a goalkeeper. You do not try to avoid the ball, you go to a ball that is going at fast speed and when you leap and fall on the ground with or without it, it can hurt regardless of all the padding you may wear. Now, football is very physical, no doubt about and yet look at all the padding they wear. Soccer is the same, there is padding but is not enough.

It may not seem but there is a lot of strategy in soccer also. There is the 4-3-3 formation, the 3-4-3, formation, and other rotating formations. You have heard that the best offense is a good defense and that applies to soccer also. One of the best teams in the world have some great defenses. Actually, a philosophy of some of the best teams is that you start a good offensive move from the defense in the rear. Franz Beckenbauer, one of the best defenders of all times is credited with being the force behind many goals for the German team. He believed that a goal in the other end of the field started in his end of the field.

When I returned to the states I only saw a bunch of guys pile up at each play when I went to a footbal game. A friend explained to me the strategies and once I knew what they were trying to do and how, it made a lot of sense. When a friend from Italy came to visit me in the states he asked what was football was all about and made no sense to him. I sat down with him and showed him a taped NFL game and stop it at different plays to show him strategy and rules. After that I took him to a high school game and he had fun and told me that now he understands why people like the game.
To you it may seem that soccer is just a bunch of guys going after a ball at random, not so.

Maybe you should follow the "try it, you'll like it" advice. Who knows you may like it. If not, at least you may understand why it is played and have a more open mind.
Foreigners like being bored? Have you ever seen a game on TV?! Do you see them just sitting down like let us say a tennis game? No, they are out there going wild.
I am not saying tennis is boring either. It is just a different mentality to see the exchange and then recognize the skills and plays at the end. I love that game two. To this day I still remember some a great final between McEnroe and Borg! What a game!

You have great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-21-2009, 10:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
By the way, I went to say a World Cup game in Washington D.C. in '84 (Italy vs Mexico) and in 82' in Korea the U.S. vs. and if I remember correctly Findland. I can tell you, it is not boring being there!

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
One thing that makes soccer exciting/fun...
is that 1 player doesn't make a team win, like Kobe, Lebron James, etc. do in their teams.

The reason for that, is that in soccer is very difficult to get past 2-3 people.

So you don't just have to have some of the best players in the World.
Your team has to be very good playing like the Globe-trotters (team work and lots of passing) to be able to win a championship.

I hate it when a team in some sports sign 1 player, and just because of that 1 player they win championships.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
By the way, I went to say a World Cup game in Washington D.C. in '84 (Italy vs Mexico) and in 82' in Korea the U.S. vs. and if I remember correctly Findland. I can tell you, it is not boring being there!

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Something's not adding up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer