U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times
Reputation: 6814

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Building a "Soccer Specific" stadium within a couple years is a requirement of being awarded a MLS franchise now.
except the sounders will be able to use qwest field without the need for a soccer specific stadium

don't know if it's exempted because the stadium was built with possible soccer use in mind

personally I'd love to see rochester get the MLS bump, but that will never happen ......... so maybe miami (build a soccer stadium next to the new baseball stadium) or phoenix if they could ever figure out how to work around the heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,573,169 times
Reputation: 2829
Qwest is exempt because the Sounders pay no rent. They're owned by the same people as the Seahawks, who have a sweetheart deal with the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 12 days ago)
 
48,141 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Reputation: 15338
I think that soccer could be a provincial sport, meaning the fan base is more localized than most sports. If anyone disagrees, feel free to say that to me. I am just using that as a theory for why I have chosen such cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times
Reputation: 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Qwest is exempt because the Sounders pay no rent. They're owned by the same people as the Seahawks, who have a sweetheart deal with the city.
it's not 100% common ownership - for example I know drew carey has a fair amount of ownership stake in the generic soccer LLC that was created for MLS in seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 06:28 PM
 
716 posts, read 1,525,706 times
Reputation: 263
Definitely not Charlotte...if you are going to put a team in North Carolina, it has to be in the Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. Soccer has a big following there.

As for Florida....no sports teams AT ALL should be in that state. Have you seen the wretched support they give the Marlins and Rays? The Heat only draw when they are winning....Florida is the worst state for pro sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,573,169 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think that soccer could be a provincial sport, meaning the fan base is more localized than most sports. If anyone disagrees, feel free to say that to me. I am just using that as a theory for why I have chosen such cities.
The Earthquakes have fans from all over Northern and Central California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX.
1,226 posts, read 2,715,197 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Building a "Soccer Specific" stadium within a couple years is a requirement of being awarded a MLS franchise now.
Hmm....doesn't Houston have a team that plays in Robert's Stadium on UH campus??????? If so I can tell you with 100% certainty that that pie hole of a facility has nothing on what could be done to the Alamodome with a little money, especially for a MLS team which will never draw 50K in a Texas city. Maybe the MLS will draw up facility requirements, and if they do I hope San Antonio doesn't get a team. We are already 2nd in line for NFL....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX.
1,226 posts, read 2,715,197 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, the Alamodome is outdated. Even the NFL wouldn't want a team playing in there.
I don't understand this statement at all..... I could be wrong, but the gramatical way the statement was made is as if the MLS would have higher standards than the NFL...... That is too freakin funny!!

The MLS would be lucky to have a made over Alamodome facility, whereas the NFL would never allow it in a million years.....and the Saints playing there one year due to a hurricane destroying their dome means nothing. San Antonio is next after LA for an NFL franchise, but it's not gonna be in the Alamodome even if they put more money into it than the thing is worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM
 
Location: MN
1,669 posts, read 5,601,536 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Hmm....doesn't Houston have a team that plays in Robert's Stadium on UH campus??????? If so I can tell you with 100% certainty that that pie hole of a facility has nothing on what could be done to the Alamodome with a little money, especially for a MLS team which will never draw 50K in a Texas city. Maybe the MLS will draw up facility requirements, and if they do I hope San Antonio doesn't get a team. We are already 2nd in line for NFL....
The Houston Dynamo have a temporary lease there. They are supposed to have a new stadium in 2010 somewhere near Minute Maid Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I don't understand this statement at all..... I could be wrong, but the gramatical way the statement was made is as if the MLS would have higher standards than the NFL...... That is too freakin funny!!

The MLS would be lucky to have a made over Alamodome facility, whereas the NFL would never allow it in a million years.....and the Saints playing there one year due to a hurricane destroying their dome means nothing. San Antonio is next after LA for an NFL franchise, but it's not gonna be in the Alamodome even if they put more money into it than the thing is worth.
...when you put it that way, I guess I did have it backwards. I guess I was trying to say that the NFL wouldn't want a team in that stadium with the way it is now. It would have to have a retractable roof or something...

Anyway, I thought the Houston Dynamo's new stadium would be somewhere in South Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top