U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,580,918 times
Reputation: 2829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Technically yes, but when we dont call it that as a culture, it makes no sense especially when trying to gain fanbase.
I agree. It is hokey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
 
1,817 posts, read 4,419,445 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Technically yes, but when we dont call it that as a culture, it makes no sense especially when trying to gain fanbase.
Well, if you remember MLS did its best early on to 'Americanize' the sport the best they could. This included team names, overtimes, countdown clock, etc.

Simply did not work, all it did was alienate the true soccer fans and did nothing to bring new ones into the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Reputation: 2809
Announcement today to announce the Vancouver Whitecaps as the 17th team in MLS:

http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=1847


Announcement expected tomorrow announcing Portland Timbers as the 18th team in MLS:

http://www.soccercityusa.com/cgi-bin...m=1237348964/0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,580,918 times
Reputation: 2829
Two excellent choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Reputation: 2809
Garber said today at the press conference that they will be adding two more teams in 2012 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,015,430 times
Reputation: 1682
I know Saint Louis will be one of those teams....I have no clue who the other one may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 AM
 
1,817 posts, read 4,419,445 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I know Saint Louis will be one of those teams....I have no clue who the other one may be.
The MLS has a proud tradition of using St. Louis as a way to get other cities to up their bids.

Unfortunately, I do not see that changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
The MLS has a proud tradition of using St. Louis as a way to get other cities to up their bids.

Unfortunately, I do not see that changing.

Teams dont "up" their bids. The expansion fee is a flat fee that all ownership groups pay and is predetermined before the applications are submitted. Not to mention that their were six cities that submitted bids this time around so you cant really say that one city was used to "up" the other bids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 03:39 PM
 
1,817 posts, read 4,419,445 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Teams dont "up" their bids. The expansion fee is a flat fee that all ownership groups pay and is predetermined before the applications are submitted. Not to mention that their were six cities that submitted bids this time around so you cant really say that one city was used to "up" the other bids.
There is more to the bid than the expansion fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:08 AM
 
28 posts, read 74,022 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Announcement today to announce the Vancouver Whitecaps as the 17th team in MLS:

http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=1847


Announcement expected tomorrow announcing Portland Timbers as the 18th team in MLS:

http://www.soccercityusa.com/cgi-bin...m=1237348964/0
It's not the Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers that are becoming MLS teams. (Actually I'm posting this before I heard about Portland ) but rather the cities of Vancouver and possibly Portland that are getting MLS franchises.

Just like Seattle, they will be different teams than the ones that played in the USL. Whether they remain known as the Timbers and Whitecaps is yet to be determined
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top