U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,748,396 times

Advertisements

The competition starts off with an ass kicking yesterday with Spain knocking off NZ 5-0.

US plays Italy today around 1:30. I am hoping to get a tie out of it but it would be really nice to get a little payback for the 2006 WC match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,819,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The competition starts off with an ass kicking yesterday with Spain knocking off NZ 5-0.

US plays Italy today around 1:30. I am hoping to get a tie out of it but it would be really nice to get a little payback for the 2006 WC match.
We got dominated, but its no surprise, we would of been happy with just scoring vs Spain, don't expect much out of us, as a sports nation, soccer is not our strong point

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 PM

37 posts, read 50,585 times
Well, the U.S. lost 3-1 to Italy. But I have to say that the U.S. dominated Italy in the first half even with 10 men after Clark was sent off. Even at the start of the second half it looked like the U.S. would hold on, but I guess the fresh legs Italy put in was enough to get them rolling. I wouldn't say it was a bad loss because I thought they looked good.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,748,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
We got dominated, but its no surprise, we would of been happy with just scoring vs Spain, don't expect much out of us, as a sports nation, soccer is not our strong point

Did you even watch the game or did you just see the score and assume we got dominated?

We were the better team in the first half of the game, even playing a man down. Until Italy scored their first goal, we were played just as good as them in the second half.

But, playing a man down it is only a matter of time until your players get gassed and when you play a team like Italy, that isnt going to end well.

If Clark doesnt get the red card, the US gets no less than a tie out of the match.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 PM

I think he was talking about the NZ/Spain game.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,819,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Vette View Post
I think he was talking about the NZ/Spain game.
Correct!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 AM

184 posts, read 107,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Vette View Post
Well, the U.S. lost 3-1 to Italy. But I have to say that the U.S. dominated Italy in the first half even with 10 men after Clark was sent off. Even at the start of the second half it looked like the U.S. would hold on, but I guess the fresh legs Italy put in was enough to get them rolling. I wouldn't say it was a bad loss because I thought they looked good.
you never dominated italy.italy had a ball more than usa did,and if rossi and montolivo was playing from the start you would be loosing not winning on halftime.gattuso and pirlo just can't play together in 433 formation.and what is gila doing in starting line up.itali has quagriela on the bench who is faster and more flexible.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghhgg View Post
you never dominated italy.italy had a ball more than usa did,and if rossi and montolivo was playing from the start you would be loosing not winning on halftime.gattuso and pirlo just can't play together in 433 formation.and what is gila doing in starting line up.itali has quagriela on the bench who is faster and more flexible.

I would agree if they had put Rossi in as a starter, but they didn't. Italy couldn't get the ball in the box. Every time they played the ball in, Onyewu was on it. The U.S. had better plays into the box, they just failed to convert (first half).

Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,961,427 times
Well the US just took a 3-0 loss to Brazil. Could have easily been 5 or 6 to nil. Don't agree with Kljestan's sending off so that did'nt help matters. What I need to figure out is our striker situation. Dempsey (I'm a fan of Clint's) seems like he wishes he was somewhere else. No fire at all in his game. When he loses the ball, he just seems to stand there and lets someone else go after it. Not good. And am I missing something regarding Jozy Altidore and Conor Casey? I know Brian Ching is out with an injury, but this is the best the US has as central strikers? Altidore looks so inaffective against world class defenders (Brazil and Italy) and Casey in the last WCQM against Honduras was just awful. And I wish they would stop forcing players like DaMarcus Beasley on us and telling how world class they are. He's not. He can be if he wants to, but like Dempsey, he shows to be very lazy out there.
Please don't get me wrong, I would love to see the US do well in every international competition. Some of our guy's are playing their butts off (Spector, Donovan, Howard, Onyewu, Bornstein), but some just don't seem to care. Maybe it's the coaching. I was a big Bruce Arena fan and was bummed when they let him go. They seemed to play with a greater passion under him.
Whatever it is, I hope they get it figured out before next summer, or it could be ugly with a tough first round draw.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM

184 posts, read 107,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
Well the US just took a 3-0 loss to Brazil. Could have easily been 5 or 6 to nil. Don't agree with Kljestan's sending off so that did'nt help matters. What I need to figure out is our striker situation. Dempsey (I'm a fan of Clint's) seems like he wishes he was somewhere else. No fire at all in his game. When he loses the ball, he just seems to stand there and lets someone else go after it. Not good. And am I missing something regarding Jozy Altidore and Conor Casey? I know Brian Ching is out with an injury, but this is the best the US has as central strikers? Altidore looks so inaffective against world class defenders (Brazil and Italy) and Casey in the last WCQM against Honduras was just awful. And I wish they would stop forcing players like DaMarcus Beasley on us and telling how world class they are. He's not. He can be if he wants to, but like Dempsey, he shows to be very lazy out there.
Please don't get me wrong, I would love to see the US do well in every international competition. Some of our guy's are playing their butts off (Spector, Donovan, Howard, Onyewu, Bornstein), but some just don't seem to care. Maybe it's the coaching. I was a big Bruce Arena fan and was bummed when they let him go. They seemed to play with a greater passion under him.
Whatever it is, I hope they get it figured out before next summer, or it could be ugly with a tough first round draw.
it is not him.u.s.a. has a coach that has no clue what tactics is.players need clear instructions what to do on the field,and bradly looks lost and clueless so it is only natural that it transfers to the players to.u.s.a. needs a new coach who knows how to maximize players skill.and i don't think klinsman is the answer maybe one of coaches from netherland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or