U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:32 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,422,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
As most people, you obviously dont know Rangers nor Celtic very well, and Im cool with that. However, its not so much "hooliganism" as it is cultural/religious problems. Hooligans travel in packs and fight anyone and anything just for the simple joy of fighting. The Rangers/Celtic battles go far deeper than just wanting to fight. Its sad, and is slowly changing (thank GOD!) for the better. Both Celtic Park and Ibrox have banned sectarian chants/songs, but some knuckleheads still do it (and subsequently face arrest).

And as much as I dont like to say it, Celtic fans have been given awards in the past for their good behavior (away from Celtic Park), unlike Rangers.

With that being said Ill leave you all with the following: "Follow, follow, we will follow Rangers! Everywhere, anywhere, we will follow on. Follow, follow, we will follow Rangers! If they go to Dublin we will follow on! For there no other team like the Glasgow Rangers. No not one, and there never shall be one! Celtic know all about their troubles, we will fight till the day is done! For theres no other team like the Glasgow Rangers! No not one, and there never shall be one!"

Steve-o, I actually know a fair amount about the two clubs. I understand what divides the two clubs is more than just a name.

As I stated, the reason why their is violence within these two clubs is trivial and doesnt really matter. As long as its there, its a huge problem. The English Clubs has done a pretty good job of cleaning up hooliganism in the past 15 years. Adding Celtic and Rangers could be seen as a step backwards.

Also, it is more than 'just a few knuckleheads' chanting these idiotic songs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:31 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,416,577 times
Quote:
So youre calling me "scum" because I follow Rangers? And if you think the Rangers and Celtic have "scum" fans, WHO WAS BANNED FROM EUROPEAN COMPETITION FOR 5 YEARS BECAUSE OF HOOLIGANISM??? Does Heysel Stadium ring a bell?!?!?!? What happens between a few Celtic and Rangers fan goes ALOT deeper than "oh, lets just fight to fight" like English teams do. There is sectarianism that, sad as it is, has been around for hundreds of years. English hooligans have done FAR MORE damage to the sport than anything Rangers or Celtic have. Sit and ponder that for a few and then talk to me when you want to make some sense. And what difference does it make that theyre Scottish teams? Theyre part of the UK are they not?!?! You just have some kind of grudge against Rangers and Celtic while completely ignoring the complete CRAP that English fans have pulled over many years.
I was not calling you scum man, otherwise I would have said so
I hate Celtic fans as much as I do Rangers fan for their stupidity and hooliganism. I did sit and ponder, and if Scottish teams in the English leagues makes sence to you then maybe you should ponder for a while and figure out what the difference is ? I know what English teams have done over the years but they have done a fairly decent job in cleaning their acts up. I have been on the wrong end Rangers fan and I have seen good people on the wrong end of Celtic fans. The stupidity runs deep in both sets I am afraid.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
As most people, you obviously dont know Rangers nor Celtic very well, and Im cool with that. However, its not so much "hooliganism" as it is cultural/religious problems. Hooligans travel in packs and fight anyone and anything just for the simple joy of fighting. The Rangers/Celtic battles go far deeper than just wanting to fight. Its sad, and is slowly changing (thank GOD!) for the better. Both Celtic Park and Ibrox have banned sectarian chants/songs, but some knuckleheads still do it (and subsequently face arrest).

And as much as I dont like to say it, Celtic fans have been given awards in the past for their good behavior (away from Celtic Park), unlike Rangers.

With that being said Ill leave you all with the following: "Follow, follow, we will follow Rangers! Everywhere, anywhere, we will follow on. Follow, follow, we will follow Rangers! If they go to Dublin we will follow on! For there no other team like the Glasgow Rangers. No not one, and there never shall be one! Celtic know all about their troubles, we will fight till the day is done! For theres no other team like the Glasgow Rangers! No not one, and there never shall be one!"

They werent allowed in Dublin as Celtic where there and you cant have two sets of moronic fans in the same area ...... especially with inexperienced Gardai.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:03 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,506,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Steve-o, I actually know a fair amount about the two clubs. I understand what divides the two clubs is more than just a name.

As I stated, the reason why their is violence within these two clubs is trivial and doesnt really matter. As long as its there, its a huge problem. The English Clubs has done a pretty good job of cleaning up hooliganism in the past 15 years. Adding Celtic and Rangers could be seen as a step backwards.

Also, it is more than 'just a few knuckleheads' chanting these idiotic songs.
Yes, the violence is there at times, but like England, Rangers have taken decent strides to get rid of the problems. But my point was that getting rid of social problems that have existed for 200+ years is not going to happen overnight. Getting rid of racist, drunk, knucklehead hooligans at English matches is one thing. Getting rid of sectarian hatred will not be easy.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I hate Celtic fans as much as I do Rangers fan for their stupidity and hooliganism.
So therefore you should hate all Liverpool/Chelsea/etc fans because they have some bad apples in the group, too. Youre not making any sense, sir.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:28 PM

Logic never does make sense for Rangers fans.
A Liverpool fan is not going to stab me for being Catholic, knor Protestant for that matter. A braindead Celtic and Rangers fan will no problem. Being attacked by Rangers fans for supporting an Irish team they never heard of till they played us was stupid. Equally as stupid as Celtic fans rioting during a Love Ulster parade. I say let em fight, last man standing wins then we drown em :S

Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Logic never does make sense for Rangers fans.
A Liverpool fan is not going to stab me for being Catholic, knor Protestant for that matter. A braindead Celtic and Rangers fan will no problem. Being attacked by Rangers fans for supporting an Irish team they never heard of till they played us was stupid. Equally as stupid as Celtic fans rioting during a Love Ulster parade. I say let em fight, last man standing wins then we drown em :S
More childish banter.

Im glad you stereotype ALL Celtic and Rangers fans as being illogical, braindead, etc. Youre stereotyping ALL fans based on a minority of troublemakers. Like I said above, youre NOT SPEAKING LOGICALLY, as you continue to stereotype and call names. Heck, you even wish death upon them by drowning.

And no, a Liverpool fan wont stab you for being Protestant or Catholic... but some sure will stab you just for wearing another team's kit, or based on the color of your skin (many hooligans are racist), or simply because theyre **** drunk and want to fight. Is that any better?

I guess its really true that desert heat does infact fry braincells!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:55 PM

I dunno, maybe in Chicago youre used to stupidity and thats why you live there

Old 05-12-2009, 05:01 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,117,195 times
tsk... Stop fighting, you hooligans

Just a question, how do you get to follow your teams, watch European soccer etc. in the US? Do you just follow 1 League or several? What about Champions League / UEFA Cup matches?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,823,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
tsk... Stop fighting, you hooligans

Just a question, how do you get to follow your teams, watch European soccer etc. in the US? Do you just follow 1 League or several? What about Champions League / UEFA Cup matches?
Fox Soccer Channel shows EPL, FA Cup and Serie A matches. I believe it still shows UEFA Cup matches, too.
Gol TV shows Bundesliga and La Ligua matches.
Setanta North America shows EPL, CC Championship and SPL matches.
ESPN shows CL matches.
Of course, games can be tracked on the web, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or