U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Rangers Scum! :|
Keep talkin crap, desert rat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:14 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,416,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Keep talkin crap, desert rat.
What do you think about the possibility of Celtic and Rangers joining the Premier League?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,802,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
What do you think about the possibility of Celtic and Rangers joining the Premier League?
It would effectively kill the SPL, wouldn't it?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It would effectively kill the SPL, wouldn't it?
Internationally yes, but the league would live on.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,802,779 times
Quote:
Internationally yes, but the league would live on.
The argument seems to be that the SPL provides weak competition for Celtic and Rangers, hence they flounder in European competition. Now, this topic was delved into briefly in the U.K. forum, and the overwhelming sentiment I got from English football fans was not "No" but "Heck No!" with respect to allowing Rangers and Celtic into the EPL.

So, here's my solution.......Allow SPL clubs to compete in the FA Cup. True, there's lower-level competition in the preliminary rounds. But, assuming Rangers and Celtic continue to finish 1-2 in the SPL, they could receive advances to the later rounds, where there more likely to face competition from the EPL and CC Championship. The English fans believe the Championship to be superior to the SPL.

Perhaps that exposure will help boost the SPL and better prepare the old clubs for European competition?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,748,396 times
I would like to see Celtic and Rangers in the EPL. Those clubs are too big for the SPL. They need stiffer competition.

Their is also talk of the EPL getting divided into two divisions if they were to join.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The argument seems to be that the SPL provides weak competition for Celtic and Rangers, hence they flounder in European competition. Now, this topic was delved into briefly in the U.K. forum, and the overwhelming sentiment I got from English football fans was not "No" but "Heck No!" with respect to allowing Rangers and Celtic into the EPL.

So, here's my solution.......Allow SPL clubs to compete in the FA Cup. True, there's lower-level competition in the preliminary rounds. But, assuming Rangers and Celtic continue to finish 1-2 in the SPL, they could receive advances to the later rounds, where there more likely to face competition from the EPL and CC Championship. The English fans believe the Championship to be superior to the SPL.

Perhaps that exposure will help boost the SPL and better prepare the old clubs for European competition?
I would actually prefer to keep the scots out of the FA Cup. It is already a ridiculously long competition. I would prefer not to add an additional 18 teams to the later rounds.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times
Quote:
Not sure yet. It would open new doors, but considering how lopsided the BPL already is? The Rangers and Celtic would probably end up being the Falkirk of the BPL. lol It would be good for SPL teams like Hibernian, HMFC, etc, as it would free up the top 2 spots that are ALWAYS taken up by Rangers and Celtic.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,013,812 times
If Celtic and Rangers joined the EPL I can guarentee you would not see them in the champions league on a regular basis.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Celtic and Rangers in the EPL is a ridiculous idea.
Lets just say they did you are effectively taking to teams that can challenge for European success and lestting Hearts or some team in instead, it will bring down the Scottish Coefficent points down allot. Lets just say they wont the premier league and came second also (that I doubt) do you think the FA or English fans would be happy about that ? Less English teams in the European cups ? Not only is it foolish to let teams from Scotland play in an English league for the above reasons but then you are inviting two teams with a huge scumbag element of supporters when the EPL needs it the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or