U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 02:41 AM

8,032 posts, read 6,735,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Racism in soccer is not a ‘thirty year old problem’, as some suggest - and everyone knows it. Despite educational efforts by various organizations in the past, there could potentially be changes coming i.e. nobody should be fined for being racially abused (and ultimately walking off the pitch). Players aren’t being protected (as evidenced by Manchester City/NBC last Spring) and solving the problem should ultimately be where the focus lies. Is calling it out enough - or do players need to walk off the pitch?
There was a spate of incidents in E.Europe and S.Euorpe last season Koulibaly was racially abused by many of his own fans in Napoli what should happen is EVERY one of those fans are banned for life - but instead in Italy they are not. Rahemm Sterling claimed he was racially abused at Stamford Bridge by ONE man last season, the man denied making any reference to Sterlings colour and it went to court, the case was thrown out of court because there was ZERO evidence that anything 'racial' was said and yet Chelsea have STILL banned this guy for life! Making Croatia play behind closed doors for one game is NOT going to stop racism, banning so called 'supporters' for life will, in parts of Europe not enough is done in reverse you could argue that an innocent man has suffered at Chelsea. One thing is for sure there is no place for racism at any sporting event - hell at any social gathering of any sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 04:30 AM

12,094 posts, read 4,127,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There was a spate of incidents in E.Europe and S.Euorpe last season Koulibaly was racially abused by many of his own fans in Napoli what should happen is EVERY one of those fans are banned for life - but instead in Italy they are not. Rahemm Sterling claimed he was racially abused at Stamford Bridge by ONE man last season, the man denied making any reference to Sterlings colour and it went to court, the case was thrown out of court because there was ZERO evidence that anything 'racial' was said and yet Chelsea have STILL banned this guy for life! Making Croatia play behind closed doors for one game is NOT going to stop racism, banning so called 'supporters' for life will, in parts of Europe not enough is done in reverse you could argue that an innocent man has suffered at Chelsea. One thing is for sure there is no place for racism at any sporting event - hell at any social gathering of any sort.
Exacty.

All professional football grounds in Britain have stewards and security staff, patrolling and sitting in every part of the ground backed up by police and supported by a CCTV and a control room and there is zero tolerance to racism by clubs and the police. The sheer number of police and stewards at major games stops most trouble, and there are steards and police lining the entire ground. Whilst police spotters and the police national football database are used to stop any known trouble makers. There are also police dogs, police horses and police support units waiting in vans in terms of most derby games.

You would have to be stupid to start any trouble or go on a racist rant in a professional football ground, as your feet wouldn't touch the ground on the way to the cells.

Hi-vis jackets and low-level bother: a steward's view of a football match - The Guardian

Premier League and EFL football matches 'over-policed' - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-09-2019 at 04:48 AM..

Old 08-09-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Exacty.

All professional football grounds in Britain have stewards and security staff, patrolling and sitting in every part of the ground backed up by police and supported by a CCTV and a control room and there is zero tolerance to racism by clubs and the police. The sheer number of police and stewards at major games stops most trouble, and there are steards and police lining the entire ground. Whilst police spotters and the police national football database are used to stop any known trouble makers. There are also police dogs, police horses and police support units waiting in vans in terms of most derby games.

You would have to be stupid to start any trouble or go on a racist rant in a professional football ground, as your feet wouldn't touch the ground on the way to the cells.

Hi-vis jackets and low-level bother: a steward's view of a football match - The Guardian

Premier League and EFL football matches 'over-policed' - BBC News
We put the 'c*nt' in S****horpe! Lol haven't heard that one - made me chuckle.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
We put the 'c*nt' in S****horpe! Lol haven't heard that one - made me chuckle.

LOL - British fans are boistorous and are full of amusing chants but it's usually light hearted banter rather than racism.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:34 AM

2,389 posts, read 559,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

LOL - British fans are boistorous and are full of amusing chants but it's usually light hearted banter rather than racism.
The Univ of Manchester report/study doesn’t agree with you. It’s this type of blind denial which only serves to exacerbate the racist issues (not hooliganism) like those which occurred in Manchester last spring. That said, there is no need to convince you (or anyone on this forum) of the racism which exists in soccer (and it certainly has nothing to do with being ‘boisterous’). The English FA, Uefa, FIFA, the media, and various organizations against racism in football (worldwide) continue to address the issue, but the educational campaigns the last decade or so may have fallen short (and lack the ‘punch’ needed) to make a difference.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 08-10-2019 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
The Univ of Manchester report/study doesn’t agree with you. It’s this type of blind denial which only serves to exacerbate the racist issues (not hooliganism) like those which occurred in Manchester last spring. That said, there is no need to convince you (or anyone on this forum) of the racism which exists in soccer (and it certainly has nothing to do with being ‘boisterous’). The English FA, Uefa, FIFA, the media, and various organizations against racism in football (worldwide) continue to address the issue, but the educational campaigns the last decade or so may have fallen short (and lack the ‘punch’ needed) to make a difference.
Still trying to argue with Britons that actually attend the games I see! Horses mouth not good enough for you? Didnt we already point out to you that 'racism' in English stadiums will result in a LIFETIME ban, I will point out again that I spend every season watching live football from Stamford Bridge to Maidstone and there is NOT racist chanting like there is in Eastern and Southern Europe. I have taken my 10 year old black skinned daughter to football matches in England I would most certainly NOT take her to a game in Spain or Italy, Greece, Poland or ANY E.European stadium, no chance, thousands of black football fans attend Premier league matches every week, I doubt even one would be found at a Dynamo Zagreb game! Make of that what you will.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Still trying to argue with Britons that actually attend the games I see! Horses mouth not good enough for you? Didnt we already point out to you that 'racism' in English stadiums will result in a LIFETIME ban, I will point out again that I spend every season watching live football from Stamford Bridge to Maidstone and there is NOT racist chanting like there is in Eastern and Southern Europe. I have taken my 10 year old black skinned daughter to football matches in England I would most certainly NOT take her to a game in Spain or Italy, Greece, Poland or ANY E.European stadium, no chance, thousands of black football fans attend Premier league matches every week, I doubt even one would be found at a Dynamo Zagreb game! Make of that what you will.
Read the University of Manchester Report/Study, April, 2019 or the numerous reported incidents of racist heckling by fans in England - you probably weren’t at those games. Heh. That it’s not happening at all games does not mean it’s not happening at some games, clearly (as evidenced by the constant coverage in the media).

Follow the English FA, Uefa, and FIFA as well - officials and fans alike are debating potential consequences (and possible rule changes) in regard to a player walking off the pitch for racial abuse from fans.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:

I have also attended numerus games easthome and have not seen any racism, and other than a few chants aimed at winding up the opposition the games atre by and large well natured, whilst arrests at games are faorly low and the game has totally changed over recent decades.

In terms of the premiership, the price to attend a game again be steep and the game is much more corporate and about making money. The old terraces have gone, and tose viewing games are generally much more middle class, or the prawn sandwich brigade as Roy Keane would probaby call them.

The EFL has also changed, even the lower leagues have changed and it's fairly clear that Amereican Corporate Cowboy has never been to a match in England and doesn't really know what he's talking about, which is why he's desperately resorting to some study no one has heard of.

In terms of the UK facilities and policing they are among the best anywhere.

In terms a study, the last study I saw was the police's own study backed up by real figures.

It also should be noted that unlike the US, where they seem to have a 'right' to scream at each other and to be openly racist, and to go on Anti-Jewish marches carrying tiki torches, indeed the US is obsessed wirh race.

In the UK we have public order laws relating to racism and abuse and you can and will be arrested. You can also be arrested for using foul or abusive language under Sections 4 and 5 of the public order act, whilst Parts 3 and 3A – 'Racial and religious hatred' also form part of the public order act.

Public Order Act 1986 - Wikipedia

Whilst you are always going to get the odd idiot, as a percentage of the typical fan base it's minniscule.

Manchester United fans top list of arrests involving racism as a factor - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-11-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-11-2019, 10:25 AM

The far more interesting discussion (beyond reading the University of Manchester Study on racism in England and football) is the ongoing debate amongst officials and fans alike pertaining to consequences (worldwide) - and whether or not a player should be allowed to walk off the pitch for racial abuse (of the type which occurred in several incidents last spring) as well as what will be done/has been done to fight the aggressive racial attacks against certain players in social media.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
The far more interesting discussion (beyond reading the University of Manchester Study on racism in England and football) is the ongoing debate amongst officials and fans alike pertaining to consequences (worldwide) - and whether or not a player should be allowed to walk off the pitch for racial abuse (of the type which occurred in several incidents last spring) as well as what will be done/has been done to fight the aggressive racial attacks against certain players in social media.
The incidents leading to players walking off the pitch was not in the UK.

As for the University of Manchester they published a study on racism in the workplace, which was based on a questionaire however there is no mention of a racism in football study.

University of Manchester - Football Racism Search

Home Office statistics on football-related arrests

In terms of racism, the police are very very strict in terms of hate crime in the UK and the country is obssesed with political correctness, it's got to the point where it's actually ridiculous, the police even recorded a dog fouling outside a house as racism, and another dog barking at an ethnic minority as racism and a woman sounding her car horn at a garage was recoreded as racism, although nobody was convicted in any of the cases.

The DOG accused of a hate crime after fouling outside a home in just one of 2,500 cases probed over two years - Daily Mail

Dog accused of racist hate crime for fouling outside a house - Mirror

OAP is questioned by police as a hate criminal after 'beeping her horn - The Sun

'Why political correctness is killing our police force' - Yorkshire Post

As police urge us to report 'offensive comments' that AREN'T crime, it's time to arrest the rise of the PC police office - The Sun

Shouldn't the police be chasing down theft and assault, not thought crime - The Spectator

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-11-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or