U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 02:52 AM

11,630 posts, read 3,981,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Again, the existence of racism doesn’t necessarily equate to violence/arrests. That the UK is divided into 4 separate FA’s (each with membership to UEFA) doesn’t change the facts about racism (or the ongoing campaign/education of UEFA partnered with the FARE Project as well as the UK-based FURD). The UK is not in its own bubble - all professional/competitive soccer teams/leagues are made up of players of different race/ethnic backgrounds.
The UK has done more than any other nation to stamp out racism and racist behaviour is not tolerated.

UEFA has no say on domestic football in the UK that is down to the Football Association, the oldest football governing body in the world and the Scottish Football Association.

The real problems with racism in the game are mainly in Eastern Europe and parts of Southern Europe, and not the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 09:09 AM

2,274 posts, read 509,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The UK has done more than any other nation to stamp out racism and racist behaviour is not tolerated.

The real problems with racism in the game are mainly in Eastern Europe and parts of Southern Europe, and not the UK.
I never said they aren’t doing anything to try to ’fix it’ or educate (FURD is UK-based); I simply said it exists. And England is a part of the UEFA’s Champions League, for one very large example - there is no ‘domestic bubble’ when it comes to racism in this international sport, least of all England. Racism remains throughout the UK (and Europe) in soccer and in general (and is why the partnership among several governing bodies and organizations). Steven Ashe from the University of Manchester has written articles and reports/research pertaining to the subject (the TUC survey). Tell Manchester City FC it’s not a problem.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:08 PM

7,810 posts, read 6,637,504 times
Quote:
I never said they aren’t doing anything to try to ’fix it’ or educate (FURD is UK-based); I simply said it exists. And England is a part of the UEFA’s Champions League, for one very large example - there is no ‘domestic bubble’ when it comes to racism in this international sport, least of all England. Racism remains throughout the UK (and Europe) in soccer and in general (and is why the partnership among several governing bodies and organizations). Steven Ashe from the University of Manchester has written articles and reports/research pertaining to the subject (the TUC survey). Tell Manchester City FC it’s not a problem.
I'm sorry but 20 MILLION people attend matches every season in English football and there has been a couple of reports of ALLEDGED racism (not even usually proved). I know, I AM the horses mouth, I have a black skinned Mrs and black skinned kids and we have attended Stamford Bridge on numerous occasions and not once encountered any problems. Your claim does not ring true, ANY hint if racism ANY at Stamford Bridge and it's a life ban, he'll a bloke was even banned this year on heresay DESPITE the poluce dropping the case because of zero evidence on something that was ALLEGEDLY said. Amongst the 20 million people that attended pro football this year were there racist bigots among them? I would say yes wouldnt you BUT they so much as mutter a racist remark they are OUT. It's somewhat different in Southern Europe and particularly Eastern Europe and if you knew football as well as me or BNW (who actually 'live' in the bubble) you would realise the difference is 'night and day'

Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm sorry but 20 MILLION people attend matches every season in English football and there has been a couple of reports of ALLEDGED racism (not even usually proved). '
It’s not ‘my claim’ nor am I, personally, alleging anything - lol. Read the report out of Manchester University, April, 2019 (the full report is rather shocking). Racism in soccer (world-wide) is not a new concept (and I’m not the one who is single-handedly reporting, researching, identifying, conducting studies, writing articles or calling to refs) - nor am I the reason various organizations and governing bodies of football have united to take a stand against racism (ongoing for well over a decade). That said, I appreciate you thinking I have the power to control what is being done in the UK (and Europe) in response to ‘my claim’.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
It’s not ‘my claim’ nor am I, personally, alleging anything - lol. Read the report out of Manchester University, April, 2019 (the full report is rather shocking). Racism in soccer (world-wide) is not a new concept (and I’m not the one who is single-handedly reporting, researching, identifying, conducting studies, writing articles or calling to refs) - nor am I the reason various organizations and governing bodies of football have united to take a stand against racism (ongoing for well over a decade). That said, I appreciate you thinking I have the power to control what is being done in the UK (and Europe) in response to ‘my claim’.
If my previous post came across as a bit 'aggressive' I apologise, its something I have been accused of in the past (I think its my writing style or lack of English skills), I do sincerely believe though that 'racism' in football is an awful lot worse in some parts of Europe than it is in others. Go to a Premier League football match in England and you will see men, women, boys and girls of ALL races enjoying the game with no issues whatsoever, bearing in mind that the attendances at Premier League games in London are usually upwards of 40,000 people there will ALWAYS be one or two 'rotten apples' (just as there would in any towns and cities with similar populations), the difference between the Premier League and certain 'other' parts of Europe is night & day, in 'some' parts of Europe black skinned players suffer racial abuse from thousands of fans making monkey noises and whistling all game long every time they touch the ball, my family are black and I have no hesitation in taking them to a game in England (though truth be told they do not have the same level of interest as me) I would not however dream of taking them to a football match in either Southern or (especially) Eastern Europe.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:24 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
Quote:
If my previous post came across as a bit 'aggressive' I apologise, its something I have been accused of in the past (I think its my writing style or lack of English skills), I do sincerely believe though that 'racism' in football is an awful lot worse in some parts of Europe than it is in others. Go to a Premier League football match in England and you will see men, women, boys and girls of ALL races enjoying the game with no issues whatsoever, bearing in mind that the attendances at Premier League games in London are usually upwards of 40,000 people there will ALWAYS be one or two 'rotten apples' (just as there would in any towns and cities with similar populations), the difference between the Premier League and certain 'other' parts of Europe is night & day, in 'some' parts of Europe black skinned players suffer racial abuse from thousands of fans making monkey noises and whistling all game long every time they touch the ball, my family are black and I have no hesitation in taking them to a game in England (though truth be told they do not have the same level of interest as me) I would not however dream of taking them to a football match in either Southern or (especially) Eastern Europe.
Id agree with that, you cant say that its racist when it is clearly a minority. Its not the 80's anymore when I wouldnt even attend a match over in England. Id gladly take my friends to a game in England but like you said there isnt a hope in hell I would take them to the dredges of Europe for a match.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I’m not disagreeing it may have gotten better (or be worse elsewhere), but I have been to many Premier League matches (I temporarily lived near Reading for about four months); and I’ve witnessed the fans making monkey noises first-hand (though, admittedly, this was years ago) as well as a predominantly white fan base. The recent study out of Manchester University (2019), however, indicates racism remains pervasive in England so it it is difficult to believe it’s now ‘non-existent’ at soccer matches, especially with many reported incidents (like the large group of inflatable bananas by fans at Manchester City), posted videos, twitter posts (and the media coverage) - as well as various organizations (a few are UK-based) and governing bodies stepping in.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 06-04-2019 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
I’m not disagreeing it may have gotten better (or be worse elsewhere), but I have been to many Premier League matches (I temporarily lived near Reading for about four months); and I’ve witnessed the fans making monkey noises first-hand (though, admittedly, this was years ago) as well as a predominantly white fan base. The recent study out of Manchester University (2019), however, indicates racism remains pervasive in England so it it is difficult to believe it’s now ‘non-existent’ at soccer matches, especially with many reported incidents (like the large group of inflatable bananas by fans at Manchester City), posted videos, twitter posts (and the media coverage) - as well as various organizations (a few are UK-based) and governing bodies stepping in.
I'm sorry but what have 'inflatable bananas' got to do with anything!! lol. When it comes to attending Premier League matches, I have attended hundreds over the years and I have not seen/heard anything racist since the mid eighties , England players however are racially abused by hundreds (if not thousands) from the stands every time they play in Eastern Europe, I am telling you the difference is NIGHT AND DAY! Your posts are wide of the mark, at best 30 years out of date!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
When it comes to attending Premier League matches, I have attended hundreds over the years and I have not seen/heard anything racist since the mid eighties , England players however are racially abused by hundreds (if not thousands) from the stands every time they play in Eastern Europe, I am telling you the difference is NIGHT AND DAY! Your posts are wide of the mark, at best 30 years out of date!
Read, ‘Parks to Premier League: The Shocking Scale of Racism in English Football’ , April, 2019 (it is not ‘30 years out of date’) as well as the current report from the University of Manchester/Stephen Ashe (and the TUC) on the subject of racism in England (and racism-related violence). It’s been years since I’ve attended any Premier League matches, but you are confused in thinking I’m personally making this claim.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:

Read, ‘Parks to Premier League: The Shocking Scale of Racism in English Football’ , April, 2019 (it is not ‘30 years out of date’) as well as the current report from the University of Manchester/Stephen Ashe (and the TUC) on the subject of racism in England (and racism-related violence). It’s been years since I’ve attended any Premier League matches, but you are confused in thinking I’m personally making this claim.
Like I said though, black players do NOT get the abuse in England that they get in South/East Europe. In England if ONE person in the crowd is even thought to have raised an eyebrow in a racist manner they are thrown out of the stadium and banned for LIFE. In Croatia though (just for one example) you can make racist gestures, noises, throw things and not get any comeback at all. The Croatians have been punished (punitively) by EUFA, they have had to play England behind 'closed doors' but the morons that caused it WILL be in attendance the next time Croatia play England and there WILL be a barrage of 'monkey' noises aimed at Raheem Sterling / Danny Welbeck etc and it WILL be hundreds of supporters doing it. Like I said night and day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or