Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
I do think the MLS is improving since I started seeing highlights in the 80's! Whether it'll ever get to the standard of the top European leagues I'm not sure. I guess it's held back by being 5th/6th sport in the US.
Major League Soccer was started in 1993 as one of the requirements for the USA to host the 1994 World Cup.

Major League Soccer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it was the 1980's, you are probably thinking of the North American Soccer League (NASL).

North American Soccer League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think that MLS is being held back by being watched by fewer couch potatoes than the NFL, NBA and etc. As more youth play futbol, we will start to see better athletes go into the sport and eschew the traditional American sports, some of which are harder on the body and, thus, lead to shorter careers.

The problem with the NASL was that one franchise (New York) bought all of the best players since they were in a bigger TV market and dominated the league. Also, old pros from Europe and South America were brought in and it was harder for Americans to get behind the teams.

MLS has solved the problems inherent in the NASL, and there is greater parity amongst the teams. Also, while they do have some European pros on their last legs (excuse the pun), they also have up-and-coming North, South, and Central American players. One of Columbia's finest young strikers plays for MLS, for example; i.e., he is not old and awaiting retirement. MLS has proven to be a good launch-pad for young Americans who have then moved on to play in Europe (e.g., Brad Guzan, Tim Howard, Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, and etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:16 AM

10 posts, read 21,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I would say the Coca Cola League Championship. Sheffield Wednesday- Seattle Sounders would be a pretty even matchup.
Good call but not in the early years. 4 First divisions 3 Fa cups Great history Sheffield Wednesday.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
I do think the MLS is improving since I started seeing highlights in the 80's! Whether it'll ever get to the standard of the top European leagues I'm not sure. I guess it's held back by being 5th/6th sport in the US.

Uh, the MLS did not start playing until 1996. Are you thinking of the MISL which was an indoor league that existed in the 80s or possibly NASL?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Uh, the MLS did not start playing until 1996. Are you thinking of the MISL which was an indoor league that existed in the 80s or possibly NASL?
Is there an echo in here??

Hello....hello....

Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 AM

125 posts, read 286,797 times
They actually did a study about this not long ago, with the theory of using how much transfer fees would be for MLS vs English Premier league. The average MLS team would average about $5 million dollars per team in transfer fees. Birmingham City of the Championship (2nd tier of English football) has an estimate of $12 million in transfer teams if they sold their entire roster.

Considering how balanced the MLS is due to the league owning all the teams, I would estimate they would either be in League 1 (3rd tier) or the lower half of the Championship league. Probably a better comparison would be to compare the MLS to the Scottish Premier league minus Celtic.

One thing the MLS teams don't have to worry about is relegation. All except for about six clubs in English football have to worry about that. You can have a bad season in the MLS and not worry about dropping to a lower level of football.

One thing that will keep the MLS from being top tier is their salary caps. Manchester City, Chelsea, and probably middle teams like Everton and Tottenham probably spend more on payroll then all the clubs of the MLS combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer