U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 AM

858 posts, read 2,203,161 times

Advertisements

As a former HS (and a couple yrs of college) football player, I can attest to the strong culture surrounding HS football in much of the country. We routinely had 5,000-6,000 plus show up for Friday night games in our small town. Soccer will never reach that status in the US.

Having said that... I now play soccer in a few adult leagues and can say that the sport is quite healthy and growing. Like many others, I have come to appreciate a sport that allows me to play at a very competitive level as an adult. It truly is a "lifetime sport" (I'm mid 40's). This is something to which American football will NEVER be able to lay claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,935,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
No. High school soccer isn't even on the radar. I don't care for high school football, but at least people show up.
Those are what we call parents.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If you are going to make insults, please spell words correctly.

Your comment is funny being that football players play in full pads.
Right, and a pro "football" (gridiron) player whose career goes beyond the age of, what?, 25 or 26, is considered a legend. Most running backs do not last more than 2-3 years out of university.

No, gridiron has its place, in small-town USA and Texas. But I see futbol becoming more popular as the % of immigrants continues to rise. Futbol requires skill, whereas gridiron is about size. Too many USA sports are about size, and less about skill:

Gridiron = height, weight, no real need for endurance; what, they run for 2-3 seconds and then rest for 5 minutes?

Basketball = height

Volleyball = height

Ice hockey and futbol are mostly about skill so that even short, small players can make an impact IF they have the talent and skill. Those are the best sports, IMHO.

Last edited by Teak; 10-03-2009 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
As a former HS (and a couple yrs of college) football player, I can attest to the strong culture surrounding HS football in much of the country. We routinely had 5,000-6,000 plus show up for Friday night games in our small town. Soccer will never reach that status in the US.

Having said that... I now play soccer in a few adult leagues and can say that the sport is quite healthy and growing. Like many others, I have come to appreciate a sport that allows me to play at a very competitive level as an adult. It truly is a "lifetime sport" (I'm mid 40's). This is something to which American football will NEVER be able to lay claim.
Your comments state my opinion exactly. Gridiron will never go out of fashion and it probably shouldn't. Small-town high schools do rally around their high school sports and FWIW, gridiron, basketball, and wrastlin' will be those sports, entrenched as they are.

There are notable exceptions, however; ever been to northern Minnesota? Ice hockey is the sport of choice there, not gridiron. I played both high school and university club ice hockey, and the gridiron players envied us because most of them could not skate. Ice hockey was considered the "cool" sport in my h.s. My high school years could only have been better if we had had futbol in the fall, and ice hockey in the winter. But, alas, I was born a generation too early.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,012,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Your comments state my opinion exactly. Gridiron will never go out of fashion and it probably shouldn't. Small-town high schools do rally around their high school sports and FWIW, gridiron, basketball, and wrastlin' will be those sports, entrenched as they are.

There are notable exceptions, however; ever been to northern Minnesota? Ice hockey is the sport of choice there, not gridiron. I played both high school and university club ice hockey, and the gridiron players envied us because most of them could not skate. Ice hockey was considered the "cool" sport in my h.s. My high school years could only have been better if we had had futbol in the fall, and ice hockey in the winter. But, alas, I was born a generation too early.
I will take it a step further and point this out; I grew up playing hockey and still play to this day (I'm 29). And, while gridiron players from high school are sitting at home, watching tv and stuffing their faces full of ding dongs, alot of us hockey and soccer players are STILL playing to this day. Because like someone else pointed out, hockey and soccer are sports you can play forever at a competitive level. Same can't be said for gridiron. And, touch gridiron doesn't count. You might as well play "hide and go seek". My point is, I wish kids would get involved in sports they can play for a lifetime. Once you are out of high school tackle gridiron and fast-pitch baseball is out of the question unless you get a scholarship or go pro.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,798,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Right, and a pro "football" (gridiron) player whose career goes beyond the age of, what?, 25 or 26, is considered a legend. Most running backs do not last more than 2-3 years out of university.

No, gridiron has its place, in small-town USA and Texas. But I see futbol becoming more popular as the % of immigrants continues to rise. Futbol requires skill, whereas gridiron is about size. Too many USA sports are about size, and less about skill:

Gridiron = height, weight, no real need for endurance; what, they run for 2-3 seconds and then rest for 5 minutes?

Basketball = height

Volleyball = height

Ice hockey and futbol are mostly about skill so that even short, small players can make an impact IF they have the talent and skill. Those are the best sports, IMHO.
You really lost whatever credibility you had with this post.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:00 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
agreed

Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
So take my post to task. Making a blanket statement about someone's credibility is pretty useless IMHO. Aren't internet forums for discussion? So discuss. Prove me wrong with your great wit and skills of analysis.

Gridiron is mostly about size. Yes, there are some "skill" positions that involve use of the hands mostly. The exception is the kicker, who is the only one who contacts the ball with his feet in this misnamed game called "football". I watched a LOT of gridiron when I was younger, but got quite bored with it and was glad to move to a place where I can watch futbol anytime I want. Are there any 160-pounders playing in the NFL? Quite a few are playing futbol professionally. A sport based primarily on size eliminates a large percentage of the population of players who may be more SKILLFUL than the larger ones. But we'll never know that with gridiron with its emphasis upon SIZE.

Basketball has some skillful players who don't depend ONLY upon their size, but again, basketball is mostly about height, eh? Where are the 5'6" point guards that were standouts in high school? Did they make it to the college and pro rosters? Compare that with the number of 5'6" futbol players who are still playing, professionally.

I love volleyball, but again, it is mostly about height. Someone 5'6" could be a decent setter, but these days you are seeing 6'8" setters who have the added advantage of being decent blockers and can put down the spike also.

So there we have it: an analysis. Come on gents, let's discuss and not simply diss someone who doesn't come out and rave about high school gridiron.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
because either you are a troll or too ignorant to understand - either way it's a losing proposition

Old 10-06-2009, 02:41 PM

858 posts, read 2,203,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
because either you are a troll or too ignorant to understand - either way it's a losing proposition
I didn't see anything in his post that screamed troll; just an honest attempt to try to raise valid points. Take him to task for the points he raises or lay off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or