Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM

839 posts, read 3,074,419 times

Advertisements

I have been reading a lot on this forum about soccer. There's been interesting threads about the MLS and European leagues.

But it's a bit funny that very little is talked about the South American leagues.

I've always considered that the powers of soccer are Europe and South America. Different styles, different environments, but still the same game. I know that the European leagues have more $$$ and so are more competitive from that point of view, but given that many South American national teams are among the most winning teams in the world, I'm a bit surprised that little is said about SA leagues and teams. I'm not saying that nothing is said... in fract, I read some things about it, but it's much less than what is talked about the European leagues.

For example, I read more than once in this forum that some European matches are broadcast in the USA (UEFA Champions League, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, and so on), but do the domestic leagues of the South American countries (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, etc.) get broadcast in the USA? And in Europe?

What is the level of interest of soccer fans in Europe and the USA in watching South American soccer?

Cheers,

PS: I made a typo in the title, but I can't change it. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:13 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
I can't comment on the Americans, but here in the UK and more than likely around Europe, we don't follow South American leagues one bit, there will be some people, but the majority don't, I don't know why, more than likely because there is the Champions League, English Premiership, Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A, German Bundesliga, French Ligue 1 and a good few other good leagues here in Europe, so there's plenty to get your football fix, I have started watching a lot of the American MLS and enjoy it, so I might start following the Brazilian and Argentinian leagues a bit

Old 08-10-2011, 03:23 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
South American football pretty much gets 0 coverage here in the US from the channels I have anyway (Fox Soccer, ESPN etc).

Over here its pretty much England, Italy and MLS. In the AM on Fox Soccer I do get to watch the Austrailian football leagues (Folwer sparked me interest). They do show Asian football to here.

I do watch Boca Juniors and some Brazillian football on the net though when I get a chance. I woulndt go out of my way to watch a game though.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM

839 posts, read 3,074,419 times
Thanks for the responses.
Now I'd like to share some of my thoughts on this.

First: Just as European soccer, South American soccer has achieved a lot through history (both at local at international levels). If you think of it, out of the 8 world champion national teams of all times, 5 are European and 3 are South American. And before 1998, it was 3-3. No wonder that before the FIFA Club World Cup, there was the Intercontinental Cup, which was played only by the winner of UEFA Champions League versus the winner of the Copa Libertadores.

Well, what I mean to say is that I feel it a bit unfair that our football (soccer) doesn't get the same international attention as the European football gets here.

BriahH, you said you get English, Italian, Australian, Asian (I suppose you are referring to Japanese?). All those are first world countries. So I guess the reason why Argentinian, Brazilian, Chilean, etc. soccer doesn't get shown in other parts of the world (esp. Europe & USA) is because South America is third world, and not because of poor levels of play. But I don't know, I just want to know if you agree with me. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

I want to make it clear that I don't want to start a rant here. If there's some truth in what I said above, I understand it. It happens everywhere. Not everybody gets what he deserves everywhere and there may be other valid reasons for this.

What I want to know is your thoughts on this. Do you agree with that there's some kind of underestimation of South American soccer...?

Cheers,

Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
I know South American soccer is great quality, there just isn't the coverage her for people to follow it, even Boca Juniors v River Plate or Flamengo v Fluminese doesn't get shown here, which is a shame because they are two of the worlds great derbies, The time difference and the lack of coverage makes it hard for anyone from europe to follow the football over there, maybe if sky sports or ESPN started to show matches or even highlights people would take an interest and tune in

Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
There's just not that much interest in South-American football competitions, even though most of us will acknowledge that their are a lot of quality clubs and good players in the South American leagues. Nonetheless, their best players always end up in Europe anyway (except maybe for Neymar thus far - although he'll be on a European pitch sooner than later as well).

Old 08-11-2011, 03:59 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Yes, South American futbol is taken seriously in Europe. The European clubs routinely send scouts over to check out the rising stars. Look at all of the SA players in Spain, England, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands and so forth.

Real Madrid just signed a 7-year-old Argentinian to a contract to tie him up for the next year. He will play at their youth academy.

Real Madrid's 7-Year Old Itch Makes Financial Sense With Minimal Risk - Forbes

Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,917 times
In Europe or Britain anyway it is not followed at all. We get none of the games on Skysports here. It's just another league in the world to us. We pay more attention to European football as we get The EPL, Champions League, La Liga all on Sky with the occasional German game on ESPN.

It may be taken seriously by the clubs and scouts but no so much by the average fan.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
It's not about being taken seriously, it is about coverage and the South American leagues lack that exposure that the European leagues do.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
BriahH, you said you get English, Italian, Australian, Asian (I suppose you are referring to Japanese?). All those are first world countries. So I guess the reason why Argentinian, Brazilian, Chilean, etc. soccer doesn't get shown in other parts of the world (esp. Europe & USA) is because South America is third world, and not because of poor levels of play. But I don't know, I just want to know if you agree with me. Maybe there's something I'm missing.
I am not sure tbh, you could be right. You never know why the media does things. I also questioned why Irish sports channel Setanta never showed any Irish football too ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer