U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,153,376 times

Advertisements

The Real team were all full internationals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 AM

322 posts, read 707,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I played soccer for a couple years as a kid but haven't ever since. I never watched it and would joke about it like most in this country do. Now I'm 19 and a Sophmore in college. A good friend of mine at school plays soccer and I've been to a few of her games this year. Let's just say I've changed my perspective on the game. Even when there aren't goals being scored there is still excitement and the constant action is wonderful compared to watching baseball and football games. Not sure if it will become my top sport as I'm somewhat set in my ways now. But I do greatly enjoy it now, I found myself watching an entire soccer match on tv the other night, something I never did before
It's so cool that you gave the sport a chance. So many Americans are culturalized to believe it is a boring sport and over-emphasize scorelines (1-0 means boring? why? there is so much more to the game than the score) and then just continue to follow the sports they were brought up with.

And the non-stop action is one of the biggest selling points with me. I can settle in for 45+ minutes of non-stop action without being interrupted every couple minutes by long commercial breaks, timeouts, etc. Honestly, the more I have gotten into soccer the less I care about the other sports, and I'm at the point where I only care about the Sounders and the U.S. national team. That's it.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:57 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,792,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
It's so cool that you gave the sport a chance. So many Americans are culturalized to believe it is a boring sport and over-emphasize scorelines (1-0 means boring? why? there is so much more to the game than the score) and then just continue to follow the sports they were brought up with.

And the non-stop action is one of the biggest selling points with me. I can settle in for 45+ minutes of non-stop action without being interrupted every couple minutes by long commercial breaks, timeouts, etc. Honestly, the more I have gotten into soccer the less I care about the other sports, and I'm at the point where I only care about the Sounders and the U.S. national team. That's it.
We most certainly are told to believe it's a boring sport. Up until recently that was pretty much all I associated soccer with. Our students have started to take interest in the teams though, we have a pretty rowdy cheering section for a small college. Up until a couple years ago students only turned out for the basketball games.

I really do love the 45+ minutes of non-stop action too. I've been watching the World Series (or at least trying) because I've been a Yankees fan all my life. It's tough to stay interested for hours on end though. I can do so fine while at the game, but on tv the broadcast is lackluster.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:29 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,830,534 times
Quote:
I really do love the 45+ minutes of non-stop action too.
Except that it's not really 45 minutes of non-stop action. There are plenty of breaks for injuries (including dives), setting up for set plays and players griping to the officials. If it was truly non-stop, there wouldn't be such a thing as "stoppage time." I like soccer, too, but this is a bit of a worn argument. True, most U.S. sports have a lot of commercial breaks, but soccer just throws the ads in your face everywhere (uniforms, on the sidelines so it's all over the TV, etc.)

Quote:
I've been watching the World Series (or at least trying) because I've been a Yankees fan all my life. It's tough to stay interested for hours on end though. I can do so fine while at the game, but on tv the broadcast is lackluster.
I have a hard time listening to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver for hours, too.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM

2,858 posts, read 3,952,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
Honestly, the more I have gotten into soccer the less I care about the other sports, and I'm at the point where I only care about the Sounders and the U.S. national team. That's it.
I attended a Sounders match back in 2003 and was very impressed with their fan following (this when they were still in the USL). I was able to watch a few MSL matches with the Sounders this year (via the internet) and their fantastic support has only increased. My hats off to the Sounders, their organisation and fans. They epitomise what the sport is about.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:26 PM

Futbol matches, for the most part, can be watched in a 2-hour time slot. Gridiron and baseball are indeterminate and go on hour after hour. Compare programming your video recorder to tape futbol, gridiron, and baseball.

Futbol: 2 hours (high quality, no threat of missing anything interesting)
Gridiron: 4 hours (low quality, threat of missing the ending)
Baseball: 5-6 hours (lowest quality, miss the the final extra inning with the bases-loaded grand slam)

Nawwwww, I'll watch the 10-15 seconds of highlights for gridiron and baseball on CNN, thank you.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,792,451 times
Just got back from the guys game at our school tonight. It was the last game of the year and we won in the overtime. All the students stormed the field. I've never seen our school react like that over soccer. It was pretty amazing.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,830,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Gridiron: 4 hours (low quality, threat of missing the ending)
Baseball: 5-6 hours (lowest quality, miss the the final extra inning with the bases-loaded grand slam)
NFL games last 3 hours on average. The only baseball games that last 5-6 hours are ones that go extra innings. Otherwise, 2.5 to 4 is the norm, with AL games tending to last a little longer due to the stupid DH rule.

If you're going to critcize, at least get the facts straight.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,768,890 times
The average NFL game is just over three hours. But, the average time of gameplay is between 12-14 minutes with the average play averaging 6 seconds.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
NFL games last 3 hours on average. The only baseball games that last 5-6 hours are ones that go extra innings. Otherwise, 2.5 to 4 is the norm, with AL games tending to last a little longer due to the stupid DH rule.

If you're going to critcize, at least get the facts straight.
And the fact is that when I am taping, I have a choice of SG (2 hours), LG (4 hours) and EG (5 hours). So a gridiron game has to go on the 4-hour tape setting. That is a fact.

I was talking about the tape times, not the game times. Who knows exactly how long a gridiron game will go??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or