U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,380,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Well, City and Tottenham seemed determined to make a run, and Aston Villa is now well-financed. In time, we'll see. I suspect your correct, however, and the top four won't change.

I'm sticking with a suggestion I made some time ago in another thread....at least let the SPL clubs play in the FA Cup.
Rangers actually played in the FA Cup in the early days and were beaten in the FA Cup semi-final in 1887 by Aston Villa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,927,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It would be better for English football too.

The Scottish league may be uncompetitive but is England really much better? After all, who is ever in contention in England? Man Utd., Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool .... anyone else? Not really.
By my reckoning 23 different English clubs have won the league; the vast majority having done so post-war.

The simple fact is no one in England wants them. When it was proposed they join the 2nd level a few years ago, nobody volunteered to be relegated to make room for them. And having worked so hard to reduce racism in English football, why on earth would we want to import sectarian hatred? Can you imagine the carnage when Celtic fans start chanting and singing IRA songs?

There is no doubt they could compete, given the enormous Premier League payments. But that could also be said of Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh, Penzance, or Cardiff. None of which gets handed a franchise. The only way I would support it would be for them to work their way up the non-league pyramid like any other English team. And of course, a British league would mean an end to a Scottish national team.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:57 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,380,124 times
Yes, but since the inception of the Premier League in 1992, only 4 clubs have won it.

Manchester Utd. - 11 times
Blackburn Rovers - 1 time
Arsenal - 3 times
Chelsea - 2 times

Not exactly competitive is it. If it continues like this, the attractiveness of the EPL will begin to wane and that will start to hit TV revenues which is the big earner. That is what will force the issue one way or the other. There are very few English teams that have the fan base that Rangers and Celtic have.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:25 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,927,332 times
I can see what's in it for them; loads of cash and a bigger stage. But no smaller Premier League clubs are going to give up their place for them, and if as you think they are title contenders, then the big four (and their pretenders) won't want them.

It would be great for the Scottish League as several clubs would fancy their chances of being regular champions. Personally I would love to see Scotland and England joining forces in a revitalised League Cup, with smaller clubs drawn against the big boys, but it probably won't happen.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,527,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Those loyal to the queen [of England] sure loved racially abusing Maurice Edu this week. Stay classy!
Like that doesnt happen EVERYWHERE (sadly)??? Stay uniformed!

And the Rangers and Celtic moving to the EPL would be wondeful for both clubs and the EPL in general. It would spice things up, lessen the amount of repeat games against repeat teams, and end the dominance in the SPL.

Also, it would level the SPL playing field immesely! Im sure Hearts would be dominant with the removal of Rangers and Celtic, but Im sure teams like St. Mirren, etc, would definitely appreciate the removal of the Big 2!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,600,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Stay uniformed!
I'm not even wearing a uniform.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I'm not even wearing a uniform.
Ok, that was funny, I have to admit.

UniNformed.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,600,939 times
For insight, a bit of English perspective on the Old Firm:
Premier League Rejects Old Firm + Gartside's idea - SkyscraperCity

Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Celtic couldnt even hold off Dundee United! lol

Old 11-27-2009, 07:41 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,424,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Celtic couldnt even hold off Dundee United! lol
Rangers havent exactly been tearing up the Champions League.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or