U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:46 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,416,813 times

Advertisements

COME ON YOU SPURS!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 09:07 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,381,346 times
The Gunners cruise 3-0.....What made you think you had a chance at the Emirates? Two great late goals in the first half, including a beauty by Fabregas.

Tottenham may have gotten off to a decent start this year but they're nowhere near Arsenal's level. Spurs will be lucky to finish 6th in the table.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:22 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,920,109 times
Pride goes before a fall.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:22 PM

2,849 posts, read 3,937,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Pride goes before a fall.
Yeah, I watched this match. Huddlestone is too slow in foot and thought to be useful IMHO. He receives the ball, with nobody near him, turns around and around and around, and then dishes it back to the defender who passed to him in the first place!! Reminds me of a dog getting ready to lay down; around and around and around....

Tottenham will need to get a midfielder that can match Fabregas before they stand a chance against Arsenal. The Fabregas goal, as noted, was outstanding but then it was because the Tottenham defenders were just out (there) standing and watching him!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Yeah, I watched this match. Huddlestone is too slow in foot and thought to be useful IMHO. He receives the ball, with nobody near him, turns around and around and around, and then dishes it back to the defender who passed to him in the first place!! Reminds me of a dog getting ready to lay down; around and around and around....

Tottenham will need to get a midfielder that can match Fabregas before they stand a chance against Arsenal. The Fabregas goal, as noted, was outstanding but then it was because the Tottenham defenders were just out (there) standing and watching him!
I honestly didnt expect much from our this game, just wishful optimism thinking we could get 3 out of it.

That said, we were playing without our two best playmakers in Modric and Lennon along with our best frontman. Not making excuses, just stating why I honestly didnt expect 3 points out of this one for us.

The Gooners did a good job of not allowing Tottenham any space while on the ball, kudos for that.

We'll have Defoe back next week and possibly Lennon as well, that should provide a big boost. Im curious if having Defoe and Crouch up front as opposed to Keane and Crouch would have made any difference.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:25 AM

Defoe and Crouch had a pretty good partnership at Portsmouth, under Harry R, so I would expect that to be the best combination. Certainly Lennon would add better width than Keane does. Who is going to replace Mr. Huddleslow?

Old 11-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Id like to see Kranjcar and Modric on the pitch together when Luka returns. Having three Croatians on the field cant be a bad thing.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 PM

I liked Portsmouth when Harry coached there. He knows how to get the best out of players; a real players' coach. Niko Kranjcar is one of my favs, and hopefully Harry gives him more runouts at the Tottenham. Haven't seen Modric play yet.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I liked Portsmouth when Harry coached there. He knows how to get the best out of players; a real players' coach. Niko Kranjcar is one of my favs, and hopefully Harry gives him more runouts at the Tottenham. Haven't seen Modric play yet.
Modric is fantastic. Ive always liked him as a Croatian player but was apprehensive to how well he would adjust to English Football. He made a believer out of me the last 10 games of the 08-09 campaign. He does a great job of creating space for everybody else to work with. If Harry is going to insist on continuously playing Keane then Modric is really going to have to step it up when he returns.

Im also a big fan of Kranjcar. Most Spurs fans seem to be a bit apprehensive about him (he played terrible against Stoke) but all in all I think they'll come around.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Modric is fantastic. Ive always liked him as a Croatian player but was apprehensive to how well he would adjust to English Football. He made a believer out of me the last 10 games of the 08-09 campaign. He does a great job of creating space for everybody else to work with. If Harry is going to insist on continuously playing Keane then Modric is really going to have to step it up when he returns.

Im also a big fan of Kranjcar. Most Spurs fans seem to be a bit apprehensive about him (he played terrible against Stoke) but all in all I think they'll come around.
At Portsmouth Kranjcar played on the left side of midfield. He scored several beautiful long-range goals and linked up well with the strikers up front, and Pedro Mendes (and other midfielders) to the side. Whatever happened to Pedro? He was one of the ones who helped save Portsmouth from relegation when Harry was brought in. They made up ground by winning something like 20 points out of 27 in the springtime. Another midfielder quite useful at that time was Andres D'Alessandro, who went back to Argentina afterwards.

I hope to see both Hull City and Portsmouth escape relegation this season, but it doesn't look promising for either squad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer