U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,414,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
If anyone follows North American Soccer leagues you may know that 7 teams have announced plans to form a new league for 2010.

While I don't know the whole reason behind it, I don't quite know how it makes sense especially since 1 of those teams (Minnesota Thunder) have just filed for bankruptcy and another one (Vancouver Whitecaps) are moving to MLS for 2011

This country struggles enough supporting professional soccer (although it's getting better) I can't see how succesful a new league is going to be.
Yeah, I don't see how these guys founding this new league can think they have a hope in hell of surviving, especially in light of the fact that the MSL is barely solvent. But I guess it could work if they didn't pay their athletes anything. Just look at the WNBA! But still, I dunno. And you know what they say about soccer in America: "Soccer is the sport of the future. And it always will be."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,755,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
especially in light of the fact that the MSL is barely solvent.

You're kidding, right? The MLS is doing very well. Not to mention that they are the only professional sports league that did not see a decrease in season ticket sales during the recession. It is extremely stable and growing at a fast pace. When you have several ownership groups lining up to pay a $50 million expansion fee to join the league, you are far past barely solvent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or