U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:37 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,960,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasuba View Post
They are considerably underestimating a very strong Algerian side because of a confederation cup...and I am just saying I want the camera on Lalas face when Algeria smashes sams army.

The commentators who werent american are speaking to an american audience, so of course they wouldnt just down them.

I don't think anyone is underestimating any team. There are no bad teams. Sure, some of the teams may not be seen as world powers, but I would rather line up against Algeria than Argentina on any stage. That does not mean Algeria will just lay down and not play, they have skilled players and pride like any other team in the wc.

You have not told us what you think about Mexico's group yet nasuba. Very tough draw for them. One of the strongest groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 05:41 PM

2,735 posts, read 3,267,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
I hope England will play a more exciting game than their Sven-Göran Eriksson years. Haven't been interested in them since 1990 (after that super-classic match with Cameroon).

The groups draws are interesting. But I predict it won't be an European team taking home the trophy. No European team has when World Cup was held outside of Europe. Most likely a South American team, with an European team as runner-up at most. I dare say the host has an almost equal shot as the traditional powers to win. I also predict at least three African teams - including host - going into second round.

None of it is for certain, of course. The ball is round.
I expect a futbol super-power like Spain or Brasil to win this World Cup. However, I wish a country like Paraguay or Cameroon would win it for a change.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:33 PM

740 posts, read 1,841,535 times
Having not seen the teams perform of late, and judging solely by the results, it looks to be a very tough struggle between Uruguay and France. Both teams barely fended off their play-off opponents. Is the current Les Bleus as good as the Zidane era?

I'd love to see the Super Eagles advance. Group B don't look that tough, especially with S. Korea and Greece as the other two members. (I think of Greece as a one-hit wonder, that one hit being Euro '04.)

Don't have high hopes for Cameroon. The recent squad paled in offense. Paraguay has a very good shot.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
Well im new here, but i like football. Portugal kicked out my country in European play off's, so i hope they lose all their games on WC .

I'll be rooting for Uruguay and Ivory Coast.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:07 PM

802 posts, read 2,609,035 times
It will be winter time in South Africa so teams with players in the Northern hemisphere will have to adjust initially since they'll be coming from mid-summer conditions. While it's not the northern winter, it will be cold during evening kick off games.
Talent and weather conditions favor the South Americans. The European threats would be Spain and Holland. Cameroon and Ivory Coast look likely to get to the semis, the former based on experience and the latter's current form.
I pick Argentina...Maradona will shock the world... again... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer