Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 PM

271 posts, read 657,060 times

Advertisements

If anyone follows North American Soccer leagues you may know that 7 teams have announced plans to form a new league for 2010.

While I don't know the whole reason behind it, I don't quite know how it makes sense especially since 1 of those teams (Minnesota Thunder) have just filed for bankruptcy and another one (Vancouver Whitecaps) are moving to MLS for 2011

This country struggles enough supporting professional soccer (although it's getting better) I can't see how succesful a new league is going to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,339,759 times
I can take comfort in the relative stability of MLS, but it's a shame that the lower leagues are in such disarray.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:01 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,990,815 times
I believe Vancouver plans on having two teams or at least last I head they were planning on it.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,923,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I believe Vancouver plans on having two teams or at least last I head they were planning on it.
The way I understood it from Jeff Cooper (Owner of St. Louis team) the Vancouver franchise will relocate to another city once the Whitecaps join MLS.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
The way I understood it from Jeff Cooper (Owner of St. Louis team) the Vancouver franchise will relocate to another city once the Whitecaps join MLS.
That would make sense. I lived in the Denver area when MLS started. Denver tried two teams (The Rapids of MLS and the Foxes of A-league) which lasted about 2 years before the Foxes moved to San Diego???

Any idea which cities they may look at?

USL has been trying to get Edmonton and/or Calgary but if Vancouver isn't USL, would they move to one of them?

I also heard that Victoria is interested in a team but what I heard was they were more interested in a lower division (USL - PDL)

Old 11-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
Any idea which cities they may look at?

Wrong question. You cant look at cities because cities dont own teams. The question is, who are potential owners or ownership groups that would like to start a division 2 soccer team. Once you determine that, you can make a list of cities that those owners may want to place teams.

Cities dont get sports teams, ownership groups get sports teams.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,923,488 times
Quote:

Cities dont get sports teams, ownership groups get sports teams.

Yes, you've posted that about 25 times on this forum, we get it.

The question is still valid, since ownership groups tend to come from cities where they think soccer will thrive.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Yes, you've posted that about 25 times on this forum, we get it.

Really? Because if you go into about every single sports subforum there is an expansion thread with people naming cities left and right that have never even had talks of an ownership group interested in bringing a team to that particular city. Most people dont get it. They seem to think that leagues just pick cities and put teams there. Go to the Jacksonville thread in the football forum and you will see that people really dont get it.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,339,759 times
Quote:
Wasn't that supposed to happen with the Sounders in Kitsap? I still have no idea if it ever came to fruition.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Wasn't that supposed to happen with the Sounders in Kitsap? I still have no idea if it ever came to fruition.
No. It never happened I think they tried to place a PDL team there, I'm not sure if they did though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer