U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,067,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
No, we play Ghana next. Germany gets England, which is OK by me -- that gets one of those teams out of the tournament.
So USA is very lucky to Ghana and not a very good team right?
I hope England upsets Germany.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:44 PM
JL

6,331 posts, read 6,687,363 times
Let's concentrate on our game first. Are we GHANA beat Ghana?

Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
So USA is very lucky to Ghana and not a very good team right?
Every team at this stage is a good team, but England and Germany are traditional powers. I just like the matchup against Ghana better, but we still have to play the game.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:56 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,358,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Let's concentrate on our game first. Are we GHANA beat Ghana?
Quite right ... one game at a time.

Now, I need to get the invites out for our USA v Ghana party

Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM

461 posts, read 553,271 times
I don't think we can overlook Ghana, but all paths clearly seem to lead to a confrontation with Germany. That's going to be a tough tough task. Germany is no joke. If I think about it objectively, I see a final between Germany and Argentina. But heaven knows I would love to see an upset in which the US goes all the way (preferably against my 2nd fave team, Brasil).

Old 06-24-2010, 12:24 PM

2,030 posts, read 1,914,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I don't think we can overlook Ghana, but all paths clearly seem to lead to a confrontation with Germany. That's going to be a tough tough task. Germany is no joke. If I think about it objectively, I see a final between Germany and Argentina. But heaven knows I would love to see an upset in which the US goes all the way (preferably against my 2nd fave team, Brasil).
That would be cool! I've got flags for both teams in my living room.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 PM

10,054 posts, read 7,881,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Don't think that the US could see the Germans until the final.
If we reach the semis (with two more wins) we would be facing one of these teams...

Netherlands
Brazil
Chile/Spain
Slovakia

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/kostage.html (broken link)

I know the US team will not be looking past Ghana but I can.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 PM

5,740 posts, read 6,101,412 times
Looking past Ghana is a huge mistake. I think they pose a larger challenge than Uruguay/Korea do. They beat us 4 years ago and can put us on our toes for a full 90 if we are not careful.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:02 PM

736 posts, read 1,299,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Looking past Ghana is a huge mistake. I think they pose a larger challenge than Uruguay/Korea do. They beat us 4 years ago and can put us on our toes for a full 90 if we are not careful.
Not with the way they've been playing. This Ghana team ain't the same one that played in Germany '06. That Ghana team would have beaten Australia and drawn with Germany (who were playing like they were half-asleep). This Ghana team had over 100 scoring opportunities in three games but failed to produce a goal. They relied too heavily on a lone striker, no matter how many opposing players are marking him. USA knows that, and will do everything they can to block Ghana's volumes of opportunities.

In the knockout stage, a team has to score to win. Cannot rely on penalties being awarded. Of course, no one should overlook Ghana. IMO, they don't have what it takes to make the Final 8.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 PM
JL

6,331 posts, read 6,687,363 times
Default Japan beats Denmark

I'm rooting for the U.S of course, but Japan is my other favorite team. These guys are relentless and great at passing and ball handling. That guy Keisuke Honda has an extra gear in him and some serious skills!! Check out his last pass to his teammate for that last goal. They manhandled Denmark today!. If the U.S doesn't win it, i'm rooting for Japan.

YouTube - Denmark vs Japan [1-3] WC - Full Highlights & Goals 06/24/2010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer