U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:31 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,785,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Who in the U.S. really cares? The NFL will be starting up in a few months. THAT is what I am waiting for!!!
Lots of people care. If you didnt care, you wouldnt be in the soccer thread posting about it.

The World Cup makes the NFL look like a pee wee league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:44 PM

580 posts, read 866,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
Yeah, but so many teams qualify out of Europe it essentially balances out. Teams like Slovenia are able to qualify out of Europe, for example.

Although the Americans are in a relatively easy region to get through, I will grant you that. Mexico is tough, but since 3.5 teams make it out of North America, there is no need to finish ahead of the Mexicans in the final group standings. Just finish ahead of all the Central American and Caribbean countries (plus Canada) and you're in. Usually that third country to get in from North America is three-and-done at the World Cup (hopefully Honduras will put an end to that trend, but I just don't see it happening).

But, with that said, Europe is not horribly difficult to get out of. Especially considering that pretty much half the World Cup field is from there.

Europe is instead super tough to come out of. Consider teams like Sweden, Ukraine, Russia, Belgium, who are all teams that in a World Cup could give a rough time to the USA and did not even make it.
Also, consider that Europe has 9 groups (of 5 or 6 teams) and only the winner goes straight to the World Cup. The other 4 places are assigned through play-offs amongst the teams who finished second in their groups.

No other continent has such tough qualifying standards.

Now, that does not necessarly mean that Euro teams are better or stronger than others. I am just saying it is very tough to get in the World Cup coming out of Europe.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:25 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,463,716 times
It's possible, France and Italy seem in bad shape this year ^^

Old 06-08-2010, 12:25 AM

596 posts, read 491,893 times
Quote:
Who in the U.S. really cares? The NFL will be starting up in a few months. THAT is what I am waiting for!!!
Why do you waste your time coming on here and posting this garbage? There's a seperate forum for american football for a reason. Half the people in this country only watch the super bowl for the commercials btw. The entire world stops for a month when the World Cup is on.

USA is a long shot to go to the semis, but less than a week away is the USA/England game. Any thoughts on the winner & score???

Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,161,422 times
As RjRobb2 has said, the NFL is small potatoes compared to the World Cup.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:17 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,161,422 times
England 3.0 I don't think the USA look confidant when defending.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,836,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Asia is easy to qualify out of, thats why we joined the confederation, dont know who makes a big deal out of it?

Oceania was a joke, even the likes of Spain and Germany would struggle to qualify if they spent 4 years playing with their 3rd or 4th string side against some pacific islands and New Zealand.
Only to have to beat a south american opponent in their only meaningfull match once every 4 years.

Anyway the USA dont have a chance but their group is not that hard they may make it to the second round.

Think we will have a south amercian winner this year.
It still is a joke, playing little island nations year in year out is degrading, no decent competition

Although it's took NZ a while, but we're somewhat competitive now. A bit too late though.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:43 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,502,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
It still is a joke, playing little island nations year in year out is degrading, no decent competition

Although it's took NZ a while, but we're somewhat competitive now. A bit too late though.
Yes I feel sorry for our friends across the tasman! I dont see how soccer will ever take off in NZ until they are Rid of the OFC.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,024,627 times
Quote:
Hahahahaha! Sorry, but The NFL will never even come remotely come close to how big/popular the world cup is.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,147,064 times
USA will upset England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer