Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 AM

68 posts, read 243,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No way.
Very interesting comment, full of detail, LOL. I like the fact the U.S> is not getting much fanfare, quietly they will sneak into the semis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
The US squad simply does'nt have enough strength in depth to reach the last four.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4satnleycups View Post
Very interesting comment, full of detail, LOL. I like the fact the U.S> is not getting much fanfare, quietly they will sneak into the semis...
OP, you asked a question, someone answered. If you know something about soccer, you should understand that is pretty logical for people not to consider the USA a top 4 team. There is nothing that might suggest that; luckily in soccer anything can happen, so who knows?

Anyway, the USA do not seem at level with the best, on paper. I hope they do well, but it's more hope than belief.

If they don't underestimate Slovenia, they could go through the group.
Then it depends on whom they play, but it is going to be very tough.

I think two things would help the USA grow and become consistently a top tier team:
a) the MLS has to get better. Until we bring in only the foreign players at the end of their career, that won't happen.
b) this is something not likely to happen as USA and Mexico refused it many times for obvious reasons: CONCACAF and SOUTH AMERICA should be untied when it comes to qualifications to the WC.
I think a problem the USA have is that they have almost no seriously competitive game between one WC and the next. Granted, being in the CONCACAF almost guarantees a presence in the WC, but it also prevents the team from measuring itself against better rivals, which limit growth.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM

68 posts, read 243,422 times
MoItaly,

I do not believe the U.S. will ever underestimate any of their opponents, like you said anything can happen , I agree with you 100% with your comment. I still believe they will make some noise, its a gut feeling.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,070 times
Quote:
MoItaly,

I do not believe the U.S. will ever underestimate any of their opponents, like you said anything can happen , I agree with you 100% with your comment. I still believe they will make some noise, its a gut feeling.

I hope USA make a great world cup, but i don´t think that they could be able to be in the top four.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
MoItaly,

No, they never do. They certainly didnt underestimate Ghana in 2006.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times
I would not be surprised if the USA somehow end up underestimating Slovenia. Most of comments right after the draw were "we are in with England". I think that it probably derives from the fact that many (even sport commentators) might not even have known until the day before the draw that Slovenia is a country...lol
Anyway, Slovenia can be tough, after all thery are the reason Russis is missing in this WC edition.

The USA better be ready for a harsh game; eastern european teams play a no-nonsense game, often physical. Slovenia is a small country but they have lot of pride. Being that I am from North-Eastern Italy I used to go to Slovenia and Croatia all the times.

That said I would not be "surprised" to see the US making it to the next round. On paper the draw went well; all I am saying is that it might not be as easy as many think.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
all I am saying is that it might not be as easy as many think.
It never is.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:41 PM

742 posts, read 2,067,893 times
Quote:
I do not believe the U.S. will ever underestimate any of their opponents
They underestimated Brazil at last year's Confederation Cup.

I believe that USA will do better than the last tournament, especially since it's not held in Europe. It's always possible for England to be eliminated in first round (see Euro '00). Not saying that it'll happen. You never know.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:01 PM

42 posts, read 121,070 times
Quote:
I eat, sleep, and work with soccer. I love the USA and the efforts we have made but to answer your question, no, we will not do well. We did okay last cup because people didn't take us too seriously. Now we have a target on our back. I will be surprised if we get out of the round robin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer