U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 AM

271 posts, read 583,562 times

Advertisements

To all you soccer affecianados, maybe you could help me focus on a position I should learn.

I have recently joined an adult (over 40 year-old, men's recreational league) and feel that I am being "bounced all over the field" by the captain of the team which makes me feel that I am unable to concentrate on learning one position and learning it well.

I have played soccer before but it's been over 28 years ago so needless to say, I'm a little "rusty".

When I am in shape, I am fast and am good at forcing the opposing team to pass the ball quickly. I don't have much ball control but if given an open field I can get the ball down the field quickly and generally do well passing.

I am taller than the average player but not overly tall nor do I have much of a verticle leap.

I am not the most aggressive player out there nor am I the loudest but I am one of those that will quietly get the job done.

This is kind of an unusual place to post this question but I figured, what the hell.....right?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,754,815 times
You sound well fit for a defensive midfielder except the fact that you claim not to be aggressive. In my opinion, that should be the most aggressive player on the field.

You may also be well-suited for an outside fullback.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:20 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,811,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You may also be well-suited for an outside fullback.
Concur.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 PM

643 posts, read 981,647 times
I would agree, maybe right back or winger. It may be worth working on your ball control but if you have good speed you may be able to just knock it past the opposition and run!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 PM

956 posts, read 979,876 times
Poor ball control is going to be detrimental to the team no matter which position you play in, but it's not something that a few hours of training a week cannot fix. I agree with LondonUSA; you should be playing along one of the wings. I would put you in as a right winger so that you could run onto long balls and through passes.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:08 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,146,692 times
To improve ball control all you need is a brick wall, just keep hitting the ball against it and try to control the rebound.
As you get better, start hitting the ball harder to improve your reflexes to attain the goal of instant control.

I believe the most important skill to attain in Football is to be, (as we say in England) strong on both sides. To be able to cross the ball equally well with either foot is a major advantage.
A good defender will always try to force an attacker onto his weaker side, they can't do that if you are strong on BOTH sides. You become a more complete player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer