U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 AM

802 posts, read 2,611,828 times

Advertisements

Houston has decent support and that will grow as the team continues to do well, challenging for the league and cup titles.
Dallas is cursed with the issue of stadium location. While it is a spectacular facility, the fact that it's so far north, away from the rabid fans (read immigrants) more centrally located, it makes it difficult for them to commute. The gamble was, there are so many locals engaged in the sport because of their kids, it would be natural to have them as a fan base. It doesn't hurt that that expected fan base is also fairly well off. On the other hand, those kids and their families also enjoy and participate in the other major sports so time/disposable income in this economy is a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,226,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
In 10 years, the fan base will likely have exploded, worse case scenario be what it is now. Oh, and Toronto is much, much closer to other MLS teams than the Sounders are. At least until 2011 when Vancouver and Portland join (in last year's U.S. Open Cup game in Portland, the Sounders brought tons of fans). Does Toronto FC bring a lot of fans to games in Dallas, L.A. or here? Given how remote we are from the rest of the country, our fan base travels pretty well.
We do frequently travel to Boston for the New England games and to Columbus.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM

117 posts, read 307,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Well, they do have the Washington Stealth of the NLL.
That's Washington as in Washington State. They moved up here from San Jose and actually play in Everett. (although there is talk about having them in Key Arena at the Seattle Center next season)

Old 04-25-2010, 12:08 AM

931 posts, read 1,321,293 times
Passion and dedication are more important than numbers and for that I'll go with Fire and United supporters. Seattle and Toronto came into the league with silver spoons in their mouths. On the other hand, DCU plays in a complete dump, and the Fire have moved to different stadiums 3 times in the past decade. Section 8 and the Barra Brava set the standard for support in MLS.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 PM
KoT

103 posts, read 165,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Houston has decent support and that will grow as the team continues to do well, challenging for the league and cup titles.
Dallas is cursed with the issue of stadium location. While it is a spectacular facility, the fact that it's so far north, away from the rabid fans (read immigrants) more centrally located, it makes it difficult for them to commute. The gamble was, there are so many locals engaged in the sport because of their kids, it would be natural to have them as a fan base. It doesn't hurt that that expected fan base is also fairly well off. On the other hand, those kids and their families also enjoy and participate in the other major sports so time/disposable income in this economy is a factor.
I sure wish we could have a better fan base in Dallas. Its just like you said. Its hard to be an FC Dallas fan in Dallas when so few attend the games. The largest game I have attended was the last time Beckham came to town.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:34 PM

322 posts, read 706,955 times
Quote:
While it is a spectacular facility, the fact that it's so far north, away from the rabid fans (read immigrants) ...
That's one of the things that really hurts MLS. They think that targeting immigrants is the way to go. As someone who attends all of the Sounders games, I can safely say that there is next-to-no immigrants at the games. What needs to be done is to target non-immigrants. Targeting immigrants is like the Dodgers targeting people who moved from Philadelphia who are not about to give up their Phillies for the "home team." Most immigrants are always going to root for clubs over the home country than the local team. However, those who are from Dallas (born, raised, etc.) are more likely to be rabid. No way are immigrants going to be rabid fans of the local team.

Watching the Sounders game at FC Dallas a couple weeks ago, I was amazed at how many Man United / Chelsea / etc. shirts were worn by fans. They obviously were not there backing their own team. I honestly do not remember ever seeing a fan at a Sounders game wearing a shirt of a foreign team. Not once. Which is saying a lot when 37,000 attend every game. But everybody wears Sounders colors because we support our team, not some team that is located 5,000+ miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Passion and dedication are more important than numbers and for that I'll go with Fire and United supporters. Seattle and Toronto came into the league with silver spoons in their mouths. On the other hand, DCU plays in a complete dump, and the Fire have moved to different stadiums 3 times in the past decade. Section 8 and the Barra Brava set the standard for support in MLS.
I know I'm a Sounders fan, but I don't know how you can question our passion and dedication. Of course you can say, well we'll see where you are in x number of years and I'm not sure what I can say to that other than, yeah we'll be there then too and then we'll agree to disagree. And what exactly do you mean by us coming in the league with a "silver spoon" in our mouth? Yes, I will admit we benefited from not being in the league when the horrible decisions were made that turned away soccer fans (shootouts to break ties and other gimmicky rules), but otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.

However, I do agree that the D.C. United fans are very impressive considering how long they've been in the league and their stadium issues. Section 8 may be good but last year when the Sounders played at Chicago, the stadium was so empty it was laughable (not trying to be mean, it was one of the emptiest stadiums the Sounders played at last year).

Old 05-13-2010, 03:36 PM
KoT

Quote:
Watching the Sounders game at FC Dallas a couple weeks ago, I was amazed at how many Man United / Chelsea / etc. shirts were worn by fans. They obviously were not there backing their own team. I honestly do not remember ever seeing a fan at a Sounders game wearing a shirt of a foreign team. Not once. Which is saying a lot when 37,000 attend every game. But everybody wears Sounders colors because we support our team, not some team that is located 5,000+ miles away.
I've always found that the fan base in Dallas is just strange. Its the home team for me, but it seems that the only rabid fans are the ones sitting behind the south goal beating drums.

I went to see the U.S. play Guatemala a couple years ago and us U.S. fans were the large minority. Most fans had the light blue and white shirts on, even the FC Dallas fans.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 AM

23 posts, read 39,143 times
Quote:
Dallas is cursed with the issue of stadium location. While it is a spectacular facility, the fact that it's so far north, away from the rabid fans (read immigrants) more centrally located, it makes it difficult for them to commute.
The problem is that Hunts Sports Group ticked off a large section of the fanbase, and I'm talking about Hispanic Dallas Burn fans, when they moved the Burn to Southlake. Former GM, Andy Swift, was well-known to hispanic fans, he frequently was on the Spanish radio programs. It's not the distance that was the problem. The Hispanic fans have proven time and time again that they will travel to PHP for a game that matters to them. Lamar Hunt may have saved the Burn from being contracted, but they made some decisions early on that are still being felt today.

That said, I think they've finally started to figure out that the soccer moms and families are not the way to attract people to FC Dallas. I think they're started to target soccer fans and have put someone in charge of customer service who is actually trying to make things better. They've also hired some people including Eduardo Carvacho and additional sales staff to reach out to the Hispanic community.

It's slow, but we're starting to see it pay off. The stands are now starting to fill up with people who are interested in the game and not just kids running up and down the stairs. The two supporter's groups - the Inferno and El Matador have moved into two sections side by side and provide a better visual as well as more noise. Every game, those sections get a little bigger. And we not be the biggest supporters groups in MLS, but we support our team. Last year, our members traveled over 60,000 miles all over the country in support of FC Dallas. One member traveled 13,545 miles for FC Dallas games just in the 09 season. So yeah...small, but definitely fanatical about our team.

And finally, if any of you come to FC Dallas games, please stop by the Inferno tailgate near the entrance to Dr Pink field. That's where you'll find me. I'll be the one wearing a straw cowboy hat and an FC Dallas jersey with the #2 and BAMF (for our captain, Danny Hernandez) on the back.

GraceTX
Inferno Treasurer

Last edited by GraceTX; 05-14-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Old 05-14-2010, 02:00 PM
KoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceTX View Post
The problem is that Hunts Sports Group ticked off a large section of the fanbase, and I'm talking about Hispanic Dallas Burn fans, when they moved the Burn to Southlake. Former GM, Andy Swift, was well-known to hispanic fans, he frequently was on the Spanish radio programs. It's not the distance that was the problem. The Hispanic fans have proven time and time again that they will travel to PHP for a game that matters to them. Lamar Hunt may have saved the Burn from being contracted, but they made some decisions early on that are still being felt today.

That said, I think they've finally started to figure out that the soccer moms and families are not the way to attract people to FC Dallas. I think they're started to target soccer fans and have put someone in charge of customer service who is actually trying to make things better. They've also hired some people including Eduardo Carvacho and additional sales staff to reach out to the Hispanic community.

It's slow, but we're starting to see it pay off. The stands are now starting to fill up with people who are interested in the game and not just kids running up and down the stairs. The two supporter's groups - the Inferno and El Matador have moved into two sections side by side and provide a better visual as well as more noise. Every game, those sections get a little bigger. And we not be the biggest supporters groups in MLS, but we support our team. Last year, our members traveled over 60,000 miles all over the country in support of FC Dallas. One member traveled 13,545 miles for FC Dallas games just in the 09 season. So yeah...small, but definitely fanatical about our team.

And finally, if any of you come to FC Dallas games, please stop by the Inferno tailgate near the entrance to Dr Pink field. That's where you'll find me. I'll be the one wearing a straw cowboy hat and an FC Dallas jersey with the #2 and BAMF (for our captain, Danny Hernandez) on the back.

GraceTX
Inferno Treasurer
If I can make it to a game this year, I might just do that.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,756,797 times
Quote:
That's one of the things that really hurts MLS. They think that targeting immigrants is the way to go. As someone who attends all of the Sounders games, I can safely say that there is next-to-no immigrants at the games. What needs to be done is to target non-immigrants. Targeting immigrants is like the Dodgers targeting people who moved from Philadelphia who are not about to give up their Phillies for the "home team." Most immigrants are always going to root for clubs over the home country than the local team. However, those who are from Dallas (born, raised, etc.) are more likely to be rabid. No way are immigrants going to be rabid fans of the local team.
The MLS does not market to "immigrants". The MLS has one specific marketing campaign that targets hispanics and they should. But, that is just one of many marketing pieces. The MLS also markets to families, college students, soccer purist, and more. The MLS is doing the right thing but marketing to a variety of people.

In Kansas City, most of our fans are Caucasions. However, we have waves of hispanic fans show up when we play Chivas. We had a ton show up when we played a Mexican club team last year. We have a ton show up when we play Chicago because of Blanco. We had over 35K show up for an exhibition between CD Chivas and Club America last October.

My point is, the MLS is doing the right thing by catering to hispanics because they love soccer and do come to games. It's just that most of the hispanic fans have not fallen in love with MLS yet. They are very much still devoted to their hometown team even though they are thousands of miles away. However, this will change over time as their children are born here and want to follow their new hometown team. The MLS needs to market to hispanics. It is an investment that could pay off 1000000x fold in the future.

Quote:
I know I'm a Sounders fan, but I don't know how you can question our passion and dedication. Of course you can say, well we'll see where you are in x number of years and I'm not sure what I can say to that other than, yeah we'll be there then too and then we'll agree to disagree. And what exactly do you mean by us coming in the league with a "silver spoon" in our mouth? Yes, I will admit we benefited from not being in the league when the horrible decisions were made that turned away soccer fans (shootouts to break ties and other gimmicky rules), but otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.
I have watched a ton of Seattle home games and I admire the dedication of the fans. However, the passion of Barra Brava and Section 8 are not touched by any other fanbase right now. It takes years to develop that kind of passion.

I dont think "Silver Spoon" was the right verbiage. Seattle had the advantages of learning from the mistakes of all the other MLS teams, spawning from a team already in existence, and a well put together ownership group. Many Seattle fans have this arrogance but they need to realize that they would not be what they are without the other teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer