Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times

Advertisements

Which team in the US has the best fanbase for soccer?

From what I see it's the Sounders. They really pack in the lower levels of Qwest Field everytime they play and the atmosphere seems great. Toronto is the same.

I keep hearing stuff about the DC United but I am a little skeptical, then again I rarely see them on TV.

Any other mentionable teams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post

From what I see it's the Sounders. They really pack in the lower levels of Qwest Field everytime they play and the atmosphere seems great. Toronto is the same.

I keep hearing stuff about the DC United but I am a little skeptical, then again I rarely see them on TV.

Don't know why you pose this as a question...there's really no debate. Seattle led the MLS in attendance last year.....by a lot. They had over 36,000 for the opener against the Union the other night.

And these are the kind of fans that are loud and know the game. If only the rest of the MLS was like Seattle.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
Why just the US teams? Toronto has by far the best fanbase, 90% of the seats are season ticket holders. Just because of that we had to add 3,000 seats this off season.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:25 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Don't know why you pose this as a question...there's really no debate. Seattle led the MLS in attendance last year.....by a lot. They had over 36,000 for the opener against the Union the other night.

And these are the kind of fans that are loud and know the game. If only the rest of the MLS was like Seattle.
Yes, there is a debate. While Seattle definitely has a good fan base, lets see where they are in 10 years. Overall, Toronto has Seattle beat, IMO. Their fans actually travel, en masse, to other matches across the country. Cant say the same about Seattle.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:

Seattle and Toronto is the short answer. Us DC United supporters are a little "off our game" as fans mostly because of the frustrating stadium issue. And our current team is rebuilding somewhat and a little devoid of marketable talent, but we'll be back.

I look for New York to enjoy the great new arena and start drawing more consistenly... Thierry Henry won't hurt either. And I'll add the LA Galaxy, they've supported the club pretty consistently over the years.

Worst support? FC Dallas, just 8K at the home opener. They've got a soccer specific stadium so I don't know what the problem is. Of course, just being in Texas is a problem...

Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Seattle and Toronto is the short answer. Us DC United supporters are a little "off our game" as fans mostly because of the frustrating stadium issue. And our current team is rebuilding somewhat and a little devoid of marketable talent, but we'll be back.

I look for New York to enjoy the great new arena and start drawing more consistenly... Thierry Henry won't hurt either. And I'll add the LA Galaxy, they've supported the club pretty consistently over the years.

Worst support? FC Dallas, just 8K at the home opener. They've got a soccer specific stadium so I don't know what the problem is. Of course, just being in Texas is a problem...
Wow, they got Henry? Even I know about him and I don't watch soccer.

Hmm I always assumed the United had a decent following in DC because of their history and the Post/media gives them decent coverage.

Do you think the United will move? I think they hang around for a while. My guess is that they build a stadium in the burbs, logical spot would be in Maryland. Isn't that where most of the fan base resides?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:

Hmm I always assumed the United had a decent following in DC because of their history and the Post/media gives them decent coverage.

Do you think the United will move? I think they hang around for a while. My guess is that they build a stadium in the burbs, logical spot would be in Maryland. Isn't that where most of the fan base resides?
Actually Henry is long-time rumoured to be going to NY, I think it could happen eventually.

I certainly hope we can keep DC United in the area but there has been aborted stadium talks in DC, and several suburban counties in VA and MD. DC's fanbase is spread pretty evenly I think but maybe less in MD and a little heavier in DC itself. Last I heard was talk of building it out around Dulles, VA. Certainly locations like this will give heartburn to the fanbase, but soccer is a going concern here, overall probably only american football is more popular.

So you don't watch soccer but are asking some good questions? What's your angle?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:

Not only due to the fact that this is a football state, but these guys have to compete with the Cowboys....

So just being in the DFW area alone, is a problem. The Mavs, Rangers, Stars, and just about everyone else has that issue.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:

DC does have good support. Right now their fan base is frustrated because they cannot get a stadium and a move seems to be possible. Speaking as a fan of a team that was once up for a move, I know how that can damage a fan base. It also doesnt help that they may have the worst team they have ever had this season and are being led by a failure of a head coach.

When speaking about all-time fan bases, I would say that DC probably has the best.

In KC, we do not have the largest fan base but we have probably been tested more than any other fans in the league over the years with the sale of the team, many failed stadium plans, and what appeared to be an imminent move. But we are still here and as loyal as ever.

Seattle and Toronto franchises have had the advantages of learning from the original franchises mistakes and successes. With that, they have done well to build excellent fan bases in their markets. It looks like Philadelphia is off to a good start in that area as well.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Actually Henry is long-time rumoured to be going to NY, I think it could happen eventually.

I certainly hope we can keep DC United in the area but there has been aborted stadium talks in DC, and several suburban counties in VA and MD. DC's fanbase is spread pretty evenly I think but maybe less in MD and a little heavier in DC itself. Last I heard was talk of building it out around Dulles, VA. Certainly locations like this will give heartburn to the fanbase, but soccer is a going concern here, overall probably only american football is more popular.

So you don't watch soccer but are asking some good questions? What's your angle?

Baltimore seems like a good possibility as well. It appears that the city government has a strong desire to obtain the team and get a stadium deal done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer